Diablo, espada, urraco | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Diablo, espada, urraco

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by topcarbon, Mar 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I need a 4 door Supercar to carry more Bubbles in. Too bad Espadas are crazy $ to restore & I hear the LM002 Is like a bad Countach.

Maybe a Bentley :)

2. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    LM002 is not a bad Countach, lol. It's even more reliable than 6.75 Bentleys of 2000s!
    LM002 is just ridiculous by itself and thus fun. More like a huge Fiat 124 or an old Alfa, same fun when you drive it hard.
    It's not a supercar, it's a very sketchy car. However, I do think it's very reliable, I've seen a car with 72,000 kms on the odo with pretty much zero problems. Changing brake discs might be costy, but it's livable. I just think LM002 should have a bright color.

Espadas look very odd, they are not pretty, but very charming! Again it's more of a man's accessory than a perfect car, it can bring some fun in routine driving too!

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great example Emilio.

If you've experienced F40 performance on the road, jumping into a 246 will be a bit disappointing from a performance viewpoint.

4. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    My vote is for the Urraco. I've owned and experienced a Urraco and Diablos (but have yet to drive an Espada), and while there is no comparison from a performance perspective, the Urraco is just such a cool car and makes an incredible noise.

Then again, I love the 308 GT4, so I'm pretty biased towards 70s wedge designs. :)

5. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    I can totally understand that! Of course it cannot compare in terms of pure performance. But it is the whole package that is interesting: nimble, quick, rev-happy little engine, design. And you don't put yourself (or your license!) in danger if you enjoy it on the open road, while still having a lot of pleasure.

6. kmeighannj

kmeighannj Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2006
    Bedminster, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kirk M
    Ok, so I have been fortunate enough over the years to own a number of these cars -- 4 Countach's -- an Lp400, 2 Anniversaries, and an 88 1/2 DD, Diablo VT, Diablo SV, Miura S, Espada Series 1, Espada Series 3, and a Urraco (which Peter owns now). I no longer own a Lambo, but like you, do miss them.

Very different cars that you are considering. The Diablo is going to feel a bit like a refined, better quality build Countach, which, in my opinion, it is. The Urraco, I think, is going to feel pretty underpowered -- totally different feel and mission from the Countach, but a very cool car. As Peter said, awesome-looking steering wheel. I actually think the one I miss the most from an all around driving and owning experience is the Espada. Very unusual styling. Gets a lot of attention, but most people do not know what it is. Good utility with the back seats and the hatch. The engine is a absolute thing of beauty to look at. My Series 1 was an original car and my Series 3 had been totally restored by the previous owner (at a cost of $150k when $60k was all the money for an Espada). As always with a vintage Lambo, , if you want to drive the car, I would strongly recommend a well-maintained car that has been regularly exercised or a restored car over an underused car. They are as expensive as Miura's to fix, but obviously nowhere near that value. Lots to think about. Good luck on the search.

Hmmm...an Espada...

Kirk

7. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I don't have a ton of seat team like you or others in all these options, but I once owned a Jarama and have a '91 Diablo. Jarama vintage v-12 roar and hand-crafted old school interior feel was really wonderful, I feel lucky to have had her. But without a doubt, the looks, sounds and experience of driving the Diablo leave zero regrets. I drove mine NYC to LA and back, flawlessly. The Espada is one I've also lusted for, so can understand the desire.

But to me, hands down,... DIABLO. And when it comes to value for car, and compared to others of its super car era (F40, et al), it remains a ridiculous bargain I believe.

8. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Did the Urraco on BAT sell?

The character is very different between those models... all depends on what you are up for.

9. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    No 53k high bid

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    On which did you decide?

11. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    for the moment
    save my money to buy the Countach.
    Its my holding pattern until something interesting comes along.
    I think I am going to wait and see what happens with the Couch market and what cars come available.

12. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    i do not believe nice countach are goind down anytime soon

with this in mind, i would try to secure the nicest early diablo you can find. best value for money of all 3 models to me

13. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    Kirk, which LP400 did you own (VIN, colours)?

Christian

14. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #39 joe sackey, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    Ah, this one. Thank you for the information.

16. kmeighannj

kmeighannj Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2006
    Bedminster, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kirk M
    Thanks, Joe. And I should have bought it back when I had the opportunity to do so 6 months after I sold it! This was back when they were circa $400k cars! Ah, it wasn't the first one that I sold too early, but no matter, it was fun when I had it...

Kirk

17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
  18. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
  19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

It looks better each time I look at it.

It is a real Lamborghini and a twelve :).

I would guess with this car, it is either yes or no with the style - thumbs up or down.

Performance ? 91-93 Diablo.

20. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    For me it's too bland looking, especially from the rear and sides where it looks like a Japanese hatch back from the era. Those unique headlamps also look like another Japanese car. I like those! But hey to each his own, plenty of people look at an Espada in disgust ...

I like one version of the interior as long as it's not that corduroy.

21. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I think it looks like a ford pinto

22. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Cool car that Pinto. When you see it as rarely as we do in the northeast, they actually look kind a cool....especially around late model behemoths.

Jarama...put the styling aside, fantastic car. Very comfortable ride.

Think: front engine, V-12, short wheelbase, 5spd. Something like a muscle car with better sound and better handling but you're not sliding across the seat around corners :)

23. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
  24. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I should have never sold it lol . So you were the lucky buyer at the time, i am sure you enjoyed it a lot, i spend a ton of $$ to make it right.

25. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Countach or Diablo.... The rest, other than maybe a nice Jalpa or Silhouette are a waste of time.