Diablo vs 550 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Diablo vs 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by allanlambo, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Allan
    I'm sure (well I hope so anyway) that you're a really nice guy in real life, but you seem to have a Diablo sized chip on your shoulder. I'm all for healthy debate, as long as it sticks to facts. You like to debate, but you're not so great with the facts, which leaves you wide open for attacks like my previous post. The Diablo is a great car and as I've just discovered thanks to this thread, a performance bargain, but you don't have to put everyone else down to express your passion. It is without a doubt a faster accelerating car than the 550, there is no argument, but the rest of your argument is subjective and bluntly a little fanciful.
    My argument of it being slower around a race track than the 550 is equally a nonsense, for example. How many people race either on a track?

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Honestly, Allan, no one gives a **** about your garbage Lambo cars vs. how they compare to Ferraris.

If you feel the need to compare dick sizes, keep it in those other small dick forums that you frequent. No one here cares.

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Alllan....i love u....but come on...

name 99 cars?

please............

'
    vincent

4. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I will race any Lambo car on the freeways where I drive my slow little 550. They can only change lanes to the left. You cannot get to the slow lanes safely. Five miles, fifty miles, or five hundred miles. I will eat any Lambo on this field. Your car is too dangerous to drive on a freeway.

5. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    LOL, it seems like all these mags are always testing lambos in the rain.

6. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Stephens, you need to get off the crack. Pick up the Car and Driver article and re-read it. And let me ask you a question, if one magazine ran 3.4 to 60 (Motor Trend), one magazine (Road and Track) 3.6, and one Car and Driver, at 4.0 seconds, or whatever it was it ran, why is it hard to believe that the car can run mid 3's to sixty?

Reading the Motor Trend article, you can figure from the authors writing, which he car he prefers. Its not the 550.

Heres some of the print from Evo magazine on the Diablo vs 550:
    "The Lambo simply offers the more intense,exciting and rewarding driving experience. The wonders of its amazing engine are more enjoyable to plunder and ultimately its chassis delivers greater grip and tighter responses. As a living, breathing supercar occasion, the Diablo is phenomenol-the last of a true warrior breed."

Do you think they prefered the 550?

As for buying an SV, for less than a used 996, get a grip. I get magazines from every part of the world, including "Wheels" from Australia. Go to www.carclassic.com , and you can find many Euro cars. Theres a 30,000km 1998 Sv, for 125,000 Euros. Thats 153,000 U.S. In the U.S., 98 Sv's are selling from 135-155,000 depending on miles and condition. I believe Msrp in 98 was 229,000 .

As for the Nurburgring laptimes, there are many things to consider. First, they were all comprised at different times. There are also different track lengths. Heres a few lap times with an F40 and an F50, if we are to believe laptimes, then this means a Diablo Gt will obliterate an F50 and an F40.
    http://www.car-videos.com/performance/track.asp?track=7

So heres your run down of 0-60 times:
    Motor Trend=3.4 seconds
    Road and Track=3.6 seconds
    Car and Driver=4.2 seconds
    Evo=3.8 sec

Here a quote from Australias "Wheels" magazine. Its on the Murcielago and Ferrari 575M:
    "Given a blank check, i wouldnt buy the 575M. The F1 shift doesnt throttle blip and match revs on downchanges anywhere near as well as a skilled human,and its wonderful v12 is too hushed. The Murcielago isnt perfect either, but it managed to smash my expectations. The still glorious 575M... didnt."

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    You are kidding right?

8. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Haha, Allan you are the undisputed magazine king! The guy can bust out mag quotes dating all the way back to the Countach vs Testarossa days!

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    These were just the few magazines i had lying around! I havent even tried to break into the boxes of 1000's i have pcked up!

10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Ellen
    There you go again. I wrote that I agreed the car WOULD do 3.6 to 60, but the test came in at 4.3secs that you were quoting as 3.4sec.
    Another example of you not reading what is actually written.

I agree on the 575M, I didn't get one because when I compared it back to back with the 550, I preferred the 550, but what does this prove?
    BTW Motor is the Aussie car mag for enthusiasts, IMO Wheels is for wimps, comes from the same publisher though.
    As to your price beliefs, I was offered a 6 month old Diablo VT back in '96 for $290K AUD, new price was 439K +ORC. The wholesale (not retail) value of a '96 Diablo SV is around 150K AUD, about the same as a 2001 996 Cab. I'm sorry if it offends your sensibilites, but those are the facts.

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I never said that Car and Driver reported 3.4 seconds. Motor Trend did. Please re-read you Car and Driver article though, and report back with the clutch slipping issue written in black and white.

The 96 Sv, was only a Euro car, which was basicly a Diablo that was completely stripped out and sold for a much reduced price. No real mods, except for the ram air. The Sv was not introduced in the U.S. until 98. Anyways, dont try comparing Diablos resales, because then we'll get into TR/512/550/575 and 456 resales, which are horrendous.

I also get Motor.

12. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Allan, I completely agree, the diablo (bar maybe the first years and heaveier roadsters) all run to 60 in under 4 sec, however, I find it strange that the murcielago is a bit slower? is that right? Is the 6.0 faster? Oh well, damn fast anyhow, I just don't know what they can do to get more power...6.4 litre? come on..enough! hehe.

13. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    The Murcis do seem slower than the diablos on paper. Just about every mag I've seen has gotten into the 3.x sec range 0-60 with the diablo but the Murcis are usually quoted at 4.0 secs.

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    In all honesty, the Murci and a good running Diablo are pretty much equal, until very high speeds, when the Murci starts to pull. As for the Murci running 4's to 60mph,
    Motor Trend got 3.5 and Road and Track 3.6> Road and Track noted their track was very dusty and could have been quicker.