Diagnose "click" sound upon de/acceleration | FerrariChat

Diagnose "click" sound upon de/acceleration

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by unogib, Jun 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Car is a 2013 FF with 9k miles. I've owned it approximately 2 months. Upon acceleration from a standstill, and at times when completely letting off the gas in 2nd gear around the 3.5k RPM mark, a noticeable "click" sound is heard when the windows are down (undetectable with windows up). Sounds like middle of the car to drivers side front wheel. I also heard it today when coasting in 1st gear and then applying throttle after the light turned to green. It mostly occurs upon the acceleration from a standstill. I do not remember hearing this sound 2 months ago. Fresh annual just completed by Ferrari dealer about 5 weeks ago.

Any idea what this could be from? It does not happen on shifts, just when there is a sudden load or unloading of the transmission. It is not a "thunk" sound but more of a "click". i was thinking perhaps the 4wd system but no clue to where to even start to look at things when I put it up on the lift or if there are other places to start looking first.

Thanks everyone!!

2. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    has the car been modified in any way?
    could be loose motor or trans mount.
    your dealer or good mechanic should be able to diagnose

3. Magnani

Magnani Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I’ve had the same thing. Only hear it with windows down driving in condo garage with light application/deapplication of throttle. I drove a dealer mechanic around to demonstrate noise. They said this is normal with “all the front engine v12’s”. Not sure I 100% believe them, but have not had any issues with it

4. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    No modifications at all. Did just put original factory wheels back on it (prior owner had different Ferrari wheels on it).

Very odd and a bit annoying. Drive a mechanic around and he was at a loss for what it may be.

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I have heard this same noise on a 599, could never figure out what it was and the car ran fine.

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I know this is going to sound daft, but have the rechecked the wheel bolts for tightness, and are they the right bolts for the oem wheels?
    Slightly loose bolts will cause a clicking noise.

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Do any of you find the clicking is more noticeable when pulling away on a steep hill?

8. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I think that is the solenoid of the hood, engaging and disengaging at certain speed to lock up the hood (from flying off at high speed). The dealer could do a bit to deafen the sound. Hope it is.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  9. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    That is what I thought as well and I re-torqued all lugs to spec. Still a click.

10. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I was unaware that this occurred. Maybe although the sound seems to be coming from more under the car than the front hood area. Worth a further inspection though (just need to find a way to test this).

11. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I have not - I find it more determined by how much "loading" and "unloading" I am putting on the car/tranny/wheels.

12. PJ72

PJ72 Karting

Jun 1, 2017
    I own a 2015 and that sound was very apparent for a long time. Never thought much of it. Now I realize it has disappeared, this post made me remember..:) so it’s gone. Never seemed to affect anything at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Yes that is what I am eluding to. Pull of gently and the sound is almost there, pull off quickly and the sound is more pronounced.

14. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    What's the frequency of the clicking sound?...ie once a few seconds. Is the time interval the same, or does it vary?

15. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    It only happens upon mild to hard acceleration from a standstill or a low speed (1st or 2nd gear and almost every time it clicks) and when decelerating via a sudden lift off of accelerator (ie. 4k RPM in 2nd gear and a sudden lift off when the gearing slows you down a little suddenly).

Does not happen via a frequency based on time. Only upon the items mentioned above.

I'll drive it tonight and see if it has a click upon very slow acceleration from a stop. From my memory it does not.

The first thing I thought of was loose lug nuts due to the sound occurring from a loading/unloading of torque. Then thought maybe something with the AWD system "clicking" in but that doesn't seem to make sense to me.

16. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Exactly!!

17. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    So the sound is now gone? Was any maintenance, tire change, fluid change, etc done around the time it went away?

I don't remember the sound a couple months ago but now I can't drive without noticing it! It is really bothering me that I don't know the cause and can isolate/fix it...

18. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I'll need to pay more attention to it when driving. Maybe need to lower my windows when driving; that I hardly do.

19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It may be worth trying the old wheels to see if it goes away as it happened after you changed the wheels over. Just a thought.

20. pelank

pelank Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    Monaco
    On my 2011 FF it only does it in low gears when releasing the accelerator whilst turning in garage. Went to 2 separate dealers in Milan and Monaco got the same answer: a common noise, nothing you can do about it and do not worry. 20,000 miles later nothing has happened so far... fingers crossed

21. PJ72

PJ72 Karting

Jun 1, 2017
    Exactly the same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    On my 2013 FF I had a click at low speed when steering was turned hard to the left, for example making a low speed sharp left turn.

My dealer had no idea what caused it, so they asked the factory who recommended swapping the front brake rotors with each other.

Me and my dealer doubted it would make any difference but unbelievably the click disappeared.

23. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Spent some more time today trying to replicate the sound. I do believe it is more from the rear of the car (not front driver sound like originally thought). Occurs in straight lines (no turning required).