Diagnostic Connector? | FerrariChat

Diagnostic Connector?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, Jun 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Can anyone confirm what this diagnostic connector is used for, are there some tests that can be done with a meter on these six pins? Is it for the fuel mixture measurement on my 1988 Mondial 3.2 KE3 system?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Do you not have an owners manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I do, I don't recall seeing anything in there about this connector. It is clearly a port for some sort of Ferrari specific diagnostic tool, but usually one could just use a meter on the pins to get some useful readings.

4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Yes it is diagnostic. In the mondial Q.V. (mine) book there’s some info, I assumed (dangerous) it would be the same in yours. I’ll dig mine out in the AM and post it. Not to be confused with the plug for the work light!!

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Ah yes, there is a brief section in the manual, refers to it being a diagnostic port to check the ignition advance curve and address cylinder misfiring. Why would one want to do this, is the advance curve adjustable? What is the Ferrari tool that would actually plug in here, and is there some volt meter readings on the pins one could do to measure the same things without the Ferrari specific tool?

6. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Yes it’s an odd manual as it provides info that you wouldn’t automatically expect a Ferrari owner of the period to be utilising/doing! I think it was more about the level of knowledge provided to owners about what their cars had/did etc - I don’t know how many cars at the time came with detail of the final drive ratios!?!? I will dig out my workshop manual if I can and post some info from that.... (tomorrow)

7. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    You need one of these....

From an old post by Rifledriver:

“....Jofatron had built into it the advance curves for all cars up to 328 and TR. If connected and run through the rev range it would tell you if the timing was correct through the entire range up to redline. That applied for 166 up to 328/TR. It was handy for diagnosing bad digiplex's and Microplex's. Didn't even need a timing light. Other than that we didn't use it for much.”

I think I read that it didn’t do sensors for the flywheel, but they could be checked via plugging in something off the digiplex.

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Interesting...seems like a pretty redundant test port, for all the things they could have tested with an easy access this seems to be pretty limited.

9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #9 moysiuan, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    I have done a bit more research, looks like the top two pins on the right side will measure the ohm resistance of the TDC sensor. Mine would measure 700ohms, the spec is 600 to 1000ohms. Good spot to do this simple resistance check for what can be a vexing no start or rough start issue when these sensors fail. Most failed TDC sensors would have 0 resistance, or be greater than 1,500 ohms. 600 to 1,000 ohms is within spec.

With the single notch in the connector on the top for orientation, the 6 pins are as follows:

Ground.....TDC sensor
    Goes to Pin 1 on the 1-4 Bank coil module connector....TDC sensor
    Goes to Pin 1 on the 5-8 Bank coil module...12 volt yellow wire on 1-4 bank coil

Got this off of an old 328 thread, but had to make sure the connector orientation had the single notch on the top to identify the connections correctly. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/328-cranking-but-not-starting.154250/

Pero likes this.
  10. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    On the QV:
    Pin 1: from front bank coil cyl 5-8 pin 1, ECU cyl 5-8 pin 11
    Pin 2: from rear bank coil cyl 1-4 pin 1, ECU cyl 1-4 pin 11
    Pin 3: from front bank coil cyl 5-8 TDC sensor, ECU cyl 5-8 pin 5
    Pin 4: from front bank coil cyl 5-8 TDC sensor, ECU cyl 5-8 pin 5 cable shielding
    Pin 5: from rear bank coil cyl 1-4 TDC sensor, ECU cyl 1-4 pin 5
    Pin 6:from rear bank coil cyl 1-4 TDC sensor, ECU cyl 1-4 pin 5 cable shielding
    Pin 7: 12V from rear bank coil cyl 1-4, front bank coil cyl 5-8, ignition key Pos 15
    Pin 8: empty
    Pin 9: negative ground