Diamondback Viper. | FerrariChat

Diamondback Viper.

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Fan512bbi, Jan 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    #1 Fan512bbi, Jan 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A “snake” with an all-new skin—and ultimate display of the production merits of ASC’s patent-pending OmniCarbon™ process--the Diamondback Viper is super-light and super-fast. It’s fitting that ASC, which helped the Chrysler Group bring the new Dodge Viper SRT10 coupe to life, would, with the aid of McLaren Performance Technologies, show how the Viper coupe might be taken to an all-new level of “extreme.” The 615hp Diamondback Viper features a carbon
    fiber roof, deck lid, rockers, fascia inserts, body trim and a massive OmniCarbon™ hood that shows off ten unique trumpeted air intakes, with individual port throttles, peeking through—a McLaren Performance Technologies feature reminiscent of McLaren Can-Am engines of the past. The hood also shows off ASC’s expertise in compression-molded carbon fiber, both painted and woven. It’s displayed beautifully, with a broad, clearcoated racing stripe down the Artic White-painted expanse, subtly outlined by “Viper Blue” and “McLaren Red” pinstripes. In all, ASC removed about 85 lbs. of weight from the vehicle—including cutting the weight of the hood by nearly half versus the production model. Taken together with the powertrain modifications by McLaren Performance Technologies, the power-to-weight ratio was increased, resulting in an estimated increase in 0-60 mph time of 3.5 seconds. And, importantly, ASC’s OmniCarbon™ isn’t just light and nice to look at: ASC has reduced cycle times in the process by 80 percent versus conventional molding methods, and is confident its process meets OEM production specifications.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    I think it looks awesome!

3. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    HEHEHEHEHEHEHE. Did I hear Chevy start crying?

4. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    I rather say that it is diamond white than black ....

5. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    ...I guess you don't drive it in the rain?

6. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!

thats what I was wondering....

whatcha gonna do when it pours?!

7. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    i guess if you're driving fast enough you don't have to worry about....until you stop....

8. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!

welp i'd hate to be travelin down the freeway at 100mph, and suddenly get struck with the urge to goto the bathroom with no rest areas in site :eek:

9. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.
    Wow! That car is gorgeous!!

10. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
  11. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
  12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Still not a fan, I'd prefer a gen-1 Viper....

13. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
  14. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    Well, it's diamondback, not black.

15. drunkenmaster16x1

drunkenmaster16x1 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2005
    D/FW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mikey
  16. Redline Drift

Redline Drift Rookie

Dec 10, 2003
    Why the uneven layout of the independent throttle bodies?

17. Supra

Supra Karting

Dec 6, 2004
    Manhattan
    Because of the unique cylinder firing sequence. If you notice there is two groups of four canted in seperated by a half not canted at all, just opposing.

18. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    A couple things come to mind that you might want to know about the synergy of doing a project car like this.

First off, Paul Wilbur (the CEO of ASC) was the ex-Director of Marketing for Dodge under Bob Lutz). He was integral to the marketing of Team Viper and also owns a '96 Viper GTS Coupe. He holds a very special place in his heart for the Viper legacy and strategic direction.

Secondly, another integral member of Team Viper is Neil Hanneman. Neil worked for Chrysler and became the head of engineering for Team Viper. He was one of the keys to designing and evolving the car into winning 4 Le Mans championships in a row and going undefeated for almost 4 years running. He worked hand in hand with the talented people at Caldwell Design and Team Oreca to put together an amazing race car.

Neil left Chrysler when the German invasion happened and went to Ford and became the head of engineering for the Ford GT Team. As you know, the Ford GT has quickly become recognized as a premiere performance car.

Neil left Ford a few months ago and has joined McLaren as their head of engineering.

I don't know the details about what McLaren has done to the drivetrain of this project car, but you can bet that he took some of the development that Neil did with the hemi V-10 and more. The individual throttle bodies (when combined with the correct engine mods) bump the red line on the Viper's V-10 from 6,000 rpm to almost 8,000 rpm.

The key question is whether or not Daimler Chrysler will ever bring some of this development to the street in the Gen 4 Viper

Hopefully you can see how this project car came about. If not, you've now got a little totally useless trivia...

Brad

19. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Meh, I think in would look a lot better if it were all white with just that black stripe on the topside of the car. Also, why are the trumpet intakes at all of the wierd angles that they are? Other than that, yes.

20. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Bubbaland, USA
    Full Name:
    Disgruntled Dave
    I'd like to know myself, too. Looks like a last minute thought.

21. nuck

nuck Rookie

Dec 19, 2005
    It looks like a Chevrolet, not an exotic, even with velocity stacks.

22. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Even though it's a Dodge?

23. Art

Art Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Southern California
    Never heard of ASC before, what else do they do besides the work they've done on the this Viper?

24. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I loved the look of the original production Viper and the GTS from the mid 90's, but this car.....not so much.

25. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    agreed....97 blue/white stripes.