Did anyone here buy this eBay 550 VIN ZFFZS49A5Y0120829? | FerrariChat

Did anyone here buy this eBay 550 VIN ZFFZS49A5Y0120829?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Julia, Nov 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
  2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Stolen for that price in my opinion...even with the high miles. That's like 50% off something with 1/4 the miles I'd say?

Perfect car to daily drive even! :)

Bluebottle likes this.
  3. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    #3 Canuck550, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Stolen at that price

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i recall another member looking at it. guy has been trying to sell for the past couple of years. car has issue from what i recall

well see if it pops up again for sale

5. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
  6. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    OK, I guess I have to fess up. I bought it. I placed my maximum bid in my usual bid sniper service, and proceeded to celebrate Thanksgiving here in the USA. I never expected to get the car at my bid price. I thought, OK, if I do, what can I lose? Well, I got it for $ 6K less than my maximum bid. The seller states that it runs and drives "as it should". So, we will see. I'm just in the process of arranging shipping. When it arrives, I will be back with a full report.

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    isnt it relisted?

i would fly out and look at that car in person

8. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines

It is not relisted. It is bought and paid for. I had a house full of company for Thanksgiving, so I could not go to see it. I never expected to win the auction at my lowball bid, that I never gave an inspection any thought. Oh well, an adventure awaits.

Il Tifoso and bellwilliam like this.
  9. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Well done!!

10. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Nice Buy and drive the heck out of it and enjoy the thrill of a V12, nothing like it!

11. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    Thanks. First things first. I have to get the car shipped, then see what I bought.

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Congrats, all the best with it :)

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Its a deal if you can DIY. If you have to pay to fix it then maybe. These cars are expensive. If you look at Pete's awesome "sorting thread", his fantastic DIY would have been $20k in labor and parts and he had nothing really "wrong" with the car.

At one time I owed two 550's. I was going to race one of them. I even got it homologated for SCCA. Then when comparing just the $3000 rare fender without labor to my $150 plastic fender for my corvette racecar...well...I'm still racing the corvette.

F456M and arizonaitalian like this.
  14. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    I've been doing my own work for 56 years. No need to stop now.

Jdubbya, Jack-the-lad, Julia and 2 others like this.
  15. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Amen to that brother. Well, I almost bid on it as I'm typically game to take a gamble but damn those pics were so sketchy that even I was a bit hesitant about it, not to mention getting someone up there to Sault Ste Marie this time of year to pick it up might be a beyotch. But regardless, I hope you enjoy her and yes, do keep us posted on progress!! Comgrats!

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Then you should have no issues. You can go through and sort the entire car for cheap. Since you are new to 550's get your major service done as your primary sorting.
    Ricambi America for parts there are some cheaper part sources but you will get best service and right parts with support from best supplier. There are cheaper but you need to know what to look for. For example nonFNA valve cover gaskets cheap. FNA gaskets with red gasket seals cost more seal better. Yellow ferrari timing belts no blue banded daycos...there is a reason.

yellow ferrari timing belts. Yes blue daycos work and make the yellow ferrari belts but the yellow ferrari belts are cherry picked from dayco and better.
    hill engineering tensioner bearings. OEM is OK and I know a set for 200 bucks new old stock if you want to go cheap. They will be OK for the 5yr period.
    new intake manifold gaskets. you could have old ones that prone to leak plus hose under intake prone to blow up
    change under under intake hoses
    SRI makes a great silicone hose set. Don't be sticker shocked the OEM hoses anin't cheap either
    MSW cop ignition conversion. Price oem wires sitting down. COP cheper better performance and better than OEM grade ping Cribbj for those
    RC engineering Torrance, Ca. best fuel injector cleaner/blue printer/ rebuilder. walnut shell blasting clean the intake nice while you are in there
    For stupid simple buy new waterpump. They are easy to rebuild and easy to screw up because the ceramic seal is very fragile to any other WP you have ever rebuilt. I made special tools to do it. Don't waste your time just get new or quality rebuild. Like I would buy a rebuild from Ricambi but not off ebay.
    If you need brake rotors I got those new old stock but girodisc makes awesome front 2 piece rotors like car guy candy.
    Stainless steel brake lines and caliper rebuild kits get from Girodisc.
    oil filters are a proprietary size so they are costly and you need 2. Some of us have converted to Canton oil filter bodies. The filter elements come out filter to 8 microns, totally reliable race proven, and cheap.
    the maranellos get real hot underhood...change all coolant hoses. It a good time to also flush the radiator by physical removal. There is 1 or 2 known cases of cooling system cavitation. The source of which is unknown. You can do yourself a favor by using diesel coolants with anti-cavitation additives. My go to is what I use in by Ram 2500 diesel which is Zerex G05 https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/g-05-antifreeze-coolant

bergxu, Qavion, Jakuzzi and 4 others like this.
  17. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Congrats on the pick up!

I hope you start a thread and document the reconditioning of the car. :)

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- The nitrites in G05 only last about 2 years and those (or OATs for ELCs) are what prevent cavitation erosion. Since the OM and WSM have no recommendation for changing the coolant, many were serviced for years with the anti-cav additives completely used up.

19. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    Many thanks for the comments and very useful information. I will indeed post updates as I familiarize myself with the car, and tackle the issues that are sure to be there.

20. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Congratulations!! I think the car looks very good. 72.000 miles is nothing!

SonomaRik likes this.
  21. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    I agree. The more I drive my 360 Modena, the better it works.

F456M likes this.
  22. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Shouldn't we be changing coolant every 2 years? I switched TO G05 in all my cars except the Pantera jst to get away from other potential issues.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, every two years. The OATs in ELC coolants will theoretically last longer, but why bother? Our maintenance is set up on 1, 2, 3, and 5 years intervals, so doing it every two years fits right in there with the power steering and transaxle intervals.

The Pantera does not have wet cylinder liners like our Ferraris, but still a prudent interval.

24. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    G05 is a hoat and maker says 5 years. 2 years could be better. I do not know Taz might be right. I'm fine with 5. The cavitation issue really isn't proven. We might have a solution looking for a problem. Thing is it takes little effort to pick g05 off the shelf as it does some green stuff.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- We actually have a 550 owner here who documented his liner burn through from cavitation erosion. Most cars do not have wet liners so G48 actually works better and lasts longer on those engine types (BMW, Mercedes, etc). Ours all have wet liners and the experts say max life on the nitrites that prevent cavitation erosion in G05 is 2 years. One of the extended life coolants (ELCs) using organic acid technology (OAT) for cavitation erosion can last up to 5 years, but G05 works fine for our shorter change intervals.