Did early Bizzarrini advocate Oliver Kuttner really collect $5 million? | FerrariChat

Did early Bizzarrini advocate Oliver Kuttner really collect $5 million?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Mar 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I met him when he was one of the first to bring Bizzarrini Corsas to America and even got caught up in making replicas out of I think it was his home in Charlottesville, VA. I randomly Googled his name and read where it was reported he won $5 million in a contest to develop a car that would get 100 mpg. Called the X-prize or something, But as i read about the contest, which no regular automakers entered, I wondered if it was a real event and if Oliver collected? I'd like to hear he did because I think those type of contests, historically, resulted in better airplanes, etc. and I think Oliver is a German immigrant so , being the son of an immigrant myself, I like to see someone achieving the American dream

2. Wolf

Wolf Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    #2 Wolf, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Yes, Oliver Kuttner DID win the X-Prize and 5.000.000,00USD. I attended the prize giving in Washington, D. C. In these pictures you can see Nancy Pelosi, speaker of the house, Mr Warner, Gouvenor of Virginia and Oliver Kuttner giving speeches. And a facsimile of the check. You can also see Emanuelle Pirro, 5-times Le Mans winner who drove the winning vehicle during all the tests.

Regards

Wolfi
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am genuinely happy for him. My father emigrated to America to work for Ford in the $5 a day era, but never had such lofty ambitions. I heard Kuttner's partner in the production version of the car died but he is soldering on. Even if he doesn't get it on the market maybe some other company will buy the technology and he can collect royalties. I think during the next energy crisis, 100 mpg has a certain attractive ring to it.

4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Wow, good for him!
    I met Oliver around 1987-88 at Griffon Motor Cars in Charlottesville. I had come across a derelict Iso Grifo S2 "Penthouse" near my home town. I was a college kid and couldn't afford it myself, but I got a $1000 finder's fee for hooking him up with it.

I'd look him up every now & then, I recall he had some financial ups and downs...

Fast forward to 2012, I found another rare derelict, and this time I was in the right position and bought it myself. It had passed through a number of owners in non-roadworthy condition. When I got the paperwork on it, the last entity to have title to it was..... 'Griffon Motor Cars' in 1991!

Here is the result of that deal:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.