Did Ferrari Make The Portofino Too Good? | FerrariChat

Did Ferrari Make The Portofino Too Good?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Golden Steed, May 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Looking at the production numbers for the California, it's exclusivity factor is a bit compromised. But not totally. The Portofino is better looking, more powerful and faster than the outgoing car. In other words, it's primed itself to be an even better seller.

I'm sure Ferrari has some cap on the number it will make, but so long as the profits are good, management seems to be willing to trade exclusivity for quarterly returns. Should that continue, it seems to me that the Portofino has a chance to be a truly watered down pony for collectors.

I love this car. It's pretty close to what I would build. Fabspeed will get to tinkering, and by 2020 you will be able to chip this car to 700 horsepower. That's entering F12 territory. In a daily driving drop top with luggage space.

But will making a car this good, at numbers this high, ensure that the Portofino never holds any real value in the long term?

anunakki likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It's a Ferrari 2+2, which from what I have observed, tend to drop in price faster relative to the 2-seaters. Unless it's the last of something, a limited variant, or have some other provenance, I would expect the Porto to follow the same depreciation curve as the Cali, maybe even steeper, if your prediction on the quantity that may be produced is correct....T

uhn2000 likes this.
  3. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    In some ways I guess that's a comfort. I want a car I can use. I'm not sure I'd much like having to count every mile like some of the 488 and F12 guys who consider their cars an investment. With the Portofino, I can spend the money as a straight up loss, then drive the thing into the ground and just enjoy the ride.

250k on the odometer, then donate it to charity...:cool:

dustman, ScottS, uhn2000 and 2 others like this.
  4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It's why we went with a Cali as our first Ferrari. We can drive it, enjoy it and pile on the miles without worrying about depreciation. Just passed 17K miles the other day!
    T

5. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Catching up Tom. Passed 16K today!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I said back in 2009 that the Cali would become the best loved first time Ferrari of all time. They are fast enough, pretty enough, dependable enough, livable enough, plentiful enough, and less expensive to buy and maintain for first time buyers to swallow.

I still believe that is true.

ScottS likes this.
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow, piling on the miles, Andy, in your gorgeous nero/nero Cali!
    I hope that means the weather has been gorgeous of late in SC.
    T

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I agree, Mayor, but I'm biased. :) I think the Cali gets more love from the general public than the hard-core tifosi. We're two years in to our ownership experience, and it's been a blast. Was reading the Portofino Product Brochure tonight, and their estimate is that 50% of owners will be new to Ferrari. To me, that's a huge plus...T

9. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    The Portofino was always going to be better in nearly every way than the outgoing Cali. To me the only negative has been the reduction in boot size, from a maximum of 340L to 292L. Also, the electric steering has come under some criticism from journalists but not having driven the car yet I cannot comment.

I think the Porto looks amazing both from the outside and the inside and I think the Cali is starting to look a little dated.

With regards to production numbers Ferrari only made 8,400 cars in 2017 a 5% increase on 2016 and are looking to make around 9,000 cars in 2018. When I was at the factory last month almost all the cars on the V8 production line were 488's with the odd Portofino. On the V12 production line there were the GTC4Lusso, 812 and a few Portofino's. However, on the final testing / checking line there were a number of Porto's although destined as dealer demo cars.

I was told that the UK get 10% of all Ferrari output, so that's only around 900 cars total. Once a full production, how many will be Portofino's, maybe around 250 a year?

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Just test drove one, I thought the steering feel was a major improvement over my Cali. A 2011. Felt tight and direct. First EPS car I've ever driven.

Picture of boot with the top down.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Cramped, but reasonable room for weekend getaway, road trip, grocery run, but probably not a Costco run.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the looks. With the hood scoop, harkening back to classic Ferrari, I think the NA generation Calis are better looking than the T and even the Porto. As for performance, totally agree, no contest.

T

11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Recently passed 30k miles on my Cali. Not a single issue in that time. In fact its cost less to run than my AMG Benz with similar miles.

Im excited to buy a ~2 year old Portofino when the time comes. I just cant swallow the depreciation on a new one.

omdehoek, Avia11 and ScottS like this.
  12. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Another silly "not a real Ferrari" argument last night. Ugh.

And I kept it 100 with this cat. I said look, "If I wanted to just go fast, I'd by a Lambo. A three year old USED Huracan with miles can be had for 200k and will leave an 812 for dead at the stop light. It's not magic, it's called AWD. I like Ferraris because they're sexy, and I gotta say, the Portofino is fast enough but the sex factor over the techno-focused Lambo is x100."

Dude got pretty quiet after that.

anunakki likes this.
  13. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    No to title.
    Yes to question.

dustman likes this.