Did I mention about my son's name? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Did I mention about my son's name?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by urraco, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Not sure I am comfortable enough to share. ;) Let's just say it is similar to one of the names of the UN Secretary General.

I think it is all in the context of where you grow up. I went to a high school of 2K kids. Graduating class of 537 (and there were two colored people in that class). 52% of the high school was mormon. It was a very homogenous, rich area where I did not fit in. THe only thing that saved me was my parents finances and houses. At least we fit in that way. Needless to say, I did learn a lot, and would never want to give up that experience, because it has made me stronger and I am who I am because of that. But having a "not normal" name did not help through the strenuous years of elementary and junior high. Sure now I look back and think how trivial that was, and there are so much more important things in life. But when you are 13, that thought consumes you.

ALso when I become an attorney, I could put A. Ryan Z_ _ _ _ and it won't look so bad :D

*SHould this not be in OFF TOPIC? *

2. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    You mean Kofi? Did they name you Coffee? You do realize you have to spill the beans now that you told us the story :).

Kyle

3. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Kyel, you are warm, but still way off. There are no "K" in my name if you look at my profile ;)

Btw nice on the "coffee and beans" :D Quite Clever.

Nope, not spilling the beans yet..lol.

4. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    You like that eh? Ok Anon... what can we pull outta that. Addition? Parents maybe math buffs?

Kyle

5. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Ok Kyle, for your persistence, here you go.

Its Adnan, pronounced Add none.

6. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

I dont see that as being so bad, but then again you grew up with the name so I wouldnt know really what you went through.

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    For those of you who weren't around for an earlier thread,about what not to name your daughter, there is a college basketball player named I Van a Man Dic. see http://charlotte49ers.ocsn.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/mandic_ivi00.html Since we last met her, she has shortened her first name from 'Ivana' to 'Ivi.' Sure hasn't gotten a whole lot prettier though.

8. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Yet another great Ferrari related thread!

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What about Carbon...? Carbon is a WONDERFUL name...! i can't even begin to tell you how many people comment on my name... Everywhere i go, if someone sees it (on my credit card) or i end introducing myself, it turns into a conversation...

Of course, if you put my first and last names together (Carbon McCoy), you get a sort of link mentioned earlier; carbon copy/real mccoy... No one's figured it out so far, so i never say anything when people want to talk about the name "Carbon"; i'm waiting for someone to figure it out all on their own... :)

Congrats on pending parent hood, you guys... Good luck...! :)

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    yes

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

It was far from fun, trust me :D

12. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Your kidding, right??

13. Avia1

Avia1 Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Adnan Kashogi? Adnan's not a bad name not a bad name look where it got Kashogi. He was like "T.V. Tom Vu" but for real with big luxury yachts and women hanging off his arm, etc...

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I was not aware of that. I thnk i have stayed as far away from people with that name as possible. More of a psychological defense mechanism. If I lived in Iran, maybe it would be a normal name, but here in suburb of California, it was difficult getting up. Being a person of color was hard enough, and then be given a name like that.

Anyways, just sharing my experiences, so parents can see the different side of things. :)