Did it! Just bought Dino 246GT!! :) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Did it! Just bought Dino 246GT!! :)

Discussion in '206/246' started by CarreraScott, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. club0

club0 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    well, what can I say?! That is a BEAUTIFUL car! Congratulations, I envy you (in a positive way) :) !

2. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Bravo! My father bought one from the dealer in '73...same color combo! Brings back memories...

3. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Congrats for the purchase, I'm sure you'll love it. I used the dealer in the past nad find them extremely helpful, honest and down to earth regarding prices. Somebody asked for the Dino sound so you might want to listen to the engine here:
    http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/Lancia/Stratos2.html
    Click the link on the upper side of the page to get the mp3 sound file.
    This was recorded inside the Lancia Stratos that uses the 246GT engine but with bigger carbs (44 IDF) and a free-flow exhaust.
    It will certainly help you wait...

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Stunning! Very beautiful. Congratulations!
    DJ

5. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    Congratulations, What a beautiful machine, put me on the jealous list!
    write back after you have a chance to drive it!
    Mark

6. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Your car looks awesome... congrats!! :)

7. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    How does it feel to get away with Grand Theft Auto?

Enjoy this stunner to it's fullest & if you're ever in Williamsport, MD, run my ex-wife over 3 times (but don't scratch/ding the beautiful paint).

9. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    And I am enjoying #4948 very much, thanks Richard! What a fun car... won't win too many 0-60 street races, but handles so well flinging around in the northern California foot hills. And the exhaust note... well, that's what made me do the wire transfer.

Scott: I notice you have Pirelli P4000 tires, is that right? I am going to need new rubber soon, as mine have some dry rot. My local mechanic has a good condition set of originals, but I was wondering where those Pirelli's came from??? Maybe Europe?? As you know or will find out, high performance tires for the Dino wheel are HARD or impossible to come by.

10. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    These P4000 are not available in Europe, only in the US. They have a hard time keeping up with what the Dino is capable of doing handling-wise as do the Michelin XWX.
    Your only choice is to go for 308 or even better 328 wheels. Of course you should keep the originals in case of resale or just for originality. You find a much larger tire choice in 15" or 16" and, frankly, the 328 wheels look very good on the Dino. You could check them out here:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13420

11. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

OMG!!! That is one of the nicest Dino's I have ever seen! And you say you think you may have overpayed...NO WAY!!!! I have seen ones that are not even half as nice as yours goin for 69K-78K! You did GREAT!!! Enjoy it!!! Man!!! I want 1 now!!! Quit posting such beautiful cars guyS!!!=P I'm gonna be broke!!!

12. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks guys. You saw GT's (not GTS's) going for 69-78k? Must have been mighty nice...

Thanks for the compliments. The car should be here early this week, I hope! I'll of course take plenty of pics!

Scott

13. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    I considered Richard's car last year, you bought it before I made my move. ;-)

Yours is 48 cars newer than mine!

14. RichardGilmore

RichardGilmore Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Richard Gilmore

Tony,

You still riding those old dry rotted tires?? Man - I guess if you aren't lving on the edge you are taking up space!
    I just put new P-zero's on my 355 and I still swapped ends the other night 'cause I had not warmed up the tires properly. No damage - just soiled my shorts.

Take care of my baby!! I miss her

Ciao,

Richard

15. dcidave

dcidave Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    McLean, Va
    Full Name:
    David S
    Congrats! You definately got a great deal. She's a beauty take good care of her. Job well done.

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Tony,

Give Mark Lewman @ 5 Points Tires a call. His number is 650.365.0280. They've been at this game for ~40 years, and are the best around town. On El Camino real right at Woodside Road. You can refer to me.

--Dan

17. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Stunning car!

Congrats!

18. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    A really gorgegous car! One of my favorite Ferraris! Enjoy!

19. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    Dan, thanks, you are the F car resource for Northern Cal.

Stratos, nice option, thanks for mentioning it. I'll check out the thread.

Richard, well, the tires have some dry rot, but they hold very well, and show no sign of stress from your days even after lots of turning and some nice donuts (something this car design does extremely well:).

CarreraScott, other than a waterpump which went bad the week I took delivery, the car has been mechanically sound. It popped my perception of older F cars as likely to breakdown. So, it turned out to be a good buy.

20. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Congratulations CarreraScott.

I love that color on the Dino. I was contemplating that very color before deciding to go yellow on my Dino. After seeing your pics, I can't wait to get mine back. DAMN IT! I'm going to call the shop and rush them along!

I wish you many happy adventures with your new baby.

21. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Richard -

You probably don't remember me from last year when you were selling the Dino, but sometimes I kick myself for not getting down to Atlanta and snatching up your car. We spoke a few times on the telephone and I still look at some of those pictures you sent... and drool.

My 348 will suffice for now, but when the time comes (and the IRS gets off my back), I swear I'll add a 246. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: God himself could not create a car any more beautiful than the Dino 246 .

Best Regards,
    Daniel