Did you drive your Dino today? I did! | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Did you drive your Dino today? I did!

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Nov 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    As it happens, Kevin has worked on my Dino, albeit 16 years before I bought it!

He did a full restoration on it 18 years ago for Shaun Lynn and the quality of his work is apparent in the way it has held up over the intervening period.

2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #502 pshoejberg, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Took a warm up session today before the long trip to Modena for the 50th years Dino celebration in a couple of weeks. We visited the Gavnø Castle Classic Autojumble in the south / east part of Denmark and was invited to join the Concours de Charme. Surprisingly we won a price and a bottle of champagne even though my attempt to look like Danny Wild from the persuaders was laughable. I think they fell for my wife and the car in that order. Looking much forward to meet fellow f-chatters in Italy this summer.

Best Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2558137

View attachment 2558137 View attachment 2558138

DinoLasse and dgt like this.
  3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Looking forward to seeing you in Maranello, Peter!

I took mine out today for a run to the inaugural meeting of the SW Cars & Coffee. Not as glamorous as your Concours de Charme, I am afraid, but we had 15 assorted Ferraris from the South West of England (including a refugee from Miami Vice - see below - cool or what? ) and we plan to make it a regular event. A very pleasant hour's drive each way and my Dino performed impeccably (as I hope it will on the trip to Maranello!).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

pshoejberg likes this.
  5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Peter, John,

The trip to Maranello sounds like an epic adventure!

Freeman

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    The trip to Maranello sounds like an epic adventure!

Freeman[/QUOTE]

It is always a bit scary to take these old cars for a longer ride. Not because it ever have let me down, but you never know with 50 years old technology overhauled by a nonprofessional using spare parts of often unknown heritage and quality. I bring my insurance SOS card for swift home transport in case needed and a pair noise reducing headphones to save the hearing. Great adventure!

Best Peter

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Are you coming Freeman?

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

It is always a bit scary to take these old cars for a longer ride. Not because it ever have let me down, but you never know with 50 years old technology overhauled by a nonprofessional using spare parts of often unknown heritage and quality. I bring my insurance SOS card for swift home transport in case needed and a pair noise reducing headphones to save the hearing. Great adventure!

Best Peter[/QUOTE]

We need to create a confidential directory of “Dino Friends” from around the world so when you’re on a journey, you can find help nearby if have a breakdown or issue!

pshoejberg likes this.
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Good idea.

schwoo likes this.
  10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Well not today, but on Wednesday and I haven't got around to posting yet.

I had what must be one of the most rewarding day's driving in my Dino ever. Not only did I have a very enjoyable two hour drive from my home in Exeter to Bournemouth airport, on mixed roads in pleasantly light traffic, and the same again on the way home, during which my Dino performed perfectly and was, as always, a sheer pleasure to drive, but I had an amazing time while I was there, too

Mine was one of five cars (4 x Ferrari, 1 x Lamborghini) assembled as a supporting act for an "Airsmiles Day", during which 20 kids, all under 10 years old, all of whom have drawn one of life's short straws in that they are carers for disabled siblings or parents, were taken up flying by some very generous pilots who had given up their time, lent their planes and donated their fuel, to give these kids a well-deserved treat. As they could not all go up at once, they needed some other entertainment on the ground while they were waiting their turn to get airborne.

That entertainment came in the form of two airport fire tenders, complete with hands-on demonstrations of the equipment, most popular of which were of course the high pressure hoses - more than one child needed a change of clothing from that exercise! And, to ring the changes a bit, our cars.

No prizes for guessing which was the most popular accessory - many an eardrum was assaulted when they discovered (in very short order, I might add) the horn buttons, and tried to outdo each other to see who could annoy the most adults present!

The kids all seemed to love getting behind the wheel of one Ferrari or another, though it pains me to admit that most of them first made a bee-line for the Lambo, maybe because it was painted in a lurid shade of metallic Kermit green! Some of them asked some very intelligent questions, considering their young ages, and one in particular insisted on a detailed explanation of exactly what all the controls did, and how they worked (relatively easy on a Dino - I am glad I did not have a 488 / F12 or the like, or I would have been trying to explain all afternoon!).

Others had very vivid imaginations about the destinations to which they were "driving". One of them, on being told that it might be difficult to drive my Dino to Los Angeles on the grounds that it cannot travel on water, admonished me for my ignorance by telling me that "of course it can, it's a magic car" - a sentiment with which of course I wholeheartedly agreed (although I am not going to put it to the test when I head for Maranello for the 50th. - it's definitely booked on the ferry!).

It was a wonderful day - one of those occasions when one realises that, not only are we immensely privileged to own our Dinos, but also that the enjoyment of that ownership can be enhanced several times over by sharing the experience with others who are not so lucky as we are.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

At last, after a hard day's play, Dino at rest . . .

11. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Fantastic photos.
    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

swift53 likes this.
  12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Great stuff John! These are big small rewards in life. Congratulations :)

Regards, Alberto

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    We need to create a confidential directory of “Dino Friends” from around the world so when you’re on a journey, you can find help nearby if have a breakdown or issue![/QUOTE]

I can certainly vouch that I have met some of the nicest people in a Dino, or out of one.

You can certainly write me up on the "list", but alas, I most likely will get a visit without the Dino, as a bit out of the way :)

Regards, Alberto

14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  15. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
  16. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    And another 300 miles today. After a visit to the Musee de l'Automobile in Reims this morning, I took the autoroute as far as Dijon, then drove the Route des Grand Crus through Burgundy to Beaune, then on to an hotel just south of Macon.

Some fellow Brits encountered along the way

The Route des Grands Crus

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+, DinoLasse and swift53 like this.
  17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    What a lovely way to drive through a beautiful countryside, and delightful wines! :)

Safe travels John, and watch out for the pesky gendarmes in Switzerland,
    or are you planning to avoid it?

Regards, Alberto

18. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Crossed the Brenner pass a few minutes ago heading for the 50th years Dino celebration. The car is still behaving nicely... Best Peter

dgt, tifoso2728, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    John, Peter,

I envy you! Looks like you’re having an amazing experience!!! Keep posting photos!

Freeman

20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    If you enjoy travelling in a sauna! Even with windows wide open all the time, I was like a wet rage every time I got out of the car - the penalty of effectively sharing your cabin with the engine!

But, yes, it was a wonderful drive through beautiful countryside - a sea of vines stretching for miles inn every direction!.

For various reasons, not least the gendarmerie, I left Switzerland out of it and went through the Fejus tunnel. I am now in Italy, staying in the Villa Ferrari (no connection, but I couldn't resist the name and actually it's quite nice) in Asti. On to Maranello tomorrow..

21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Another three hundred and something miles today, bringing it to 1,040 since I left home on Monday evening. I am now in Italy, staying in the Villa Ferrari (!) in Asti. Next stop Maranello (cue "Is this the way to Maranello, etc.", with apologies to Neil Sedaka - yes, I am that old!)

I took a short diversion off the autoroute to Aix les Bains:

For a quick pit-stop - all modern conveniences, of course (!)

and then drove up the side of the Lac du Bourget, which is about 20 Km. from end to end:

to the top end of the lake where I stopped for lunch. The view from the restaurant was rather spoilt by the siting of the tennis court and its surrondinng fence

but lunch was excellent!

22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Finally arrived in Maranello today. 1,200+ miles in total (that will frighten the concours boys!!). Dino has collected a fine harvest of deceased flying creatures along the way - so much so that the wipers are glued to the windscreen!!

Dino has come home to where he was born after 45 years!!

In good company

I took a trip out this afternoon to the Umberto Panini collection: a cache of wonderful Maseratis (plus a few other makes), stashed away in a barn on a farm between Modena and Maranello.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

robbie308, Lemacc and DinoLasse like this.
  23. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Dined at Retrogusto, the restaurant of Villa Maranello where I am staying. Had a fabulous dinner and good conversation with fellow Dino owners from Monaco (246 Spyder) and Germany (308). Couldn't resist mentioning the World Cup!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dino now washed and ready for the big day tomorrow! :):)

24. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    John,

Thank you for the fantastic photos! What an adventure!

Freeman

25. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    The Panini collection is magical! Only in Italy - a bunch of priceless Maseratis on a dairy farm. All the cars are meticulously maintained by the family and available for anyone to come and view, all completely free. I loved it so much, not just the cars but also the atmosphere, that I couldn’t leave for three hours. At some point the owner (Umberto Panini’s son) came, we chatted about cars, he told me about some of the machinery I wasn’t familiar with and left. Probably needed to go back to making cheese. Truly a special place...