Did you drive your Ferrari home? | FerrariChat

Did you drive your Ferrari home?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by NathanBennett, Aug 13, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NathanBennett

NathanBennett Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Full Name:
    Nathan Bennett
    Unless something dramatic happens I plan to buy a used Ferrari (430 or 430 Scuderia) in the next few weeks to months. Of course, I have thought about driving it home from wherever I buy it. I really want to.
    I live in western Arkansas (near the Oklahoma border), but will certainly consider a car from the west or east coast or basically anywhere in the US.
    I know some of you have driven your cars home. At the same time, some of you have had the car delivered to your door and others all the way into the garage. And I have read about some horror stories about deliveries. Has anyone had their Ferrari lay down on them (break down) on the trip home?
    What do you guys recommend? Are there specific reasons to choose delivery (seems most common) vs driving the car home?
    Thanks, Nate

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I did. Only 40 miles or so. However, it started to rain and I couldnt figure out how to get the top up.

I called the dealer from my cell as the rain started coming down and they walked me through it.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Oh yah. For sure.

My F430 I drove from West LA (actually, I walked over the dealership's service center about 5 minutes from where I work) to my home about an hour away. It was nerve racking and a blast at the same time. It's one of those moments you really don't forget.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    when I buy an Fcar (finally), I plan on driving her home. And I'll be looking for cars on the east coast :D

5. NathanBennett

NathanBennett Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Full Name:
    Nathan Bennett
    Yeah, that is what I wanted to hear. I am very excited about driving the car home. I have had Porsche's before and did it both ways, but it feels different this time. Back when there was a waiting list and the price was way over MSRP I never thought about owning a Ferrari.
    Now it may well happen!

6. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I had mine shipped. It was purchased from Ferrari of San Francisco and I live in NJ. It would have been a good road trip but I didn't have the time and the mileage factor was also taken into consideration at that distance. I would say that if your around 500 or less miles from home you should drive it. But in the end its all up to you.

7. NathanBennett

NathanBennett Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Full Name:
    Nathan Bennett
    I would have been freaking out!

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    btw where do you live? close to Ft Smith?

There are more exotics in NWA than one would think...

have you done the Crescent Classic?

9. NathanBennett

NathanBennett Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Full Name:
    Nathan Bennett
    That much distance would make me think twice about it too. That is a lot of miles right off the jump and time always seems to be a factor for me. But I live toward the middle of the country so maybe I will be able to.

10. NathanBennett

NathanBennett Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Full Name:
    Nathan Bennett

Yep, about 40 miles south of Fort Smith. You are right about NWA (Walmart, Tyson, etc), but building got way out of control up there and the repression has been hard on the area. It is a nicer part of the country though.
    Regarding the Crescent Classic, I am not even familar with it. I will check into it.

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    my sister and BIL went to UoA, and he worked at WMT for a while. Nice area with AMAZING roads.

Crescent classic is a rally based around Eureka Springs; they have a subforum in the sponsored section. check it out!

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Fixed it for you.

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :)

14. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Fortunately or unfortunately my trip home wasn't far, only 25 minutes. Of course, it started to rain.

15. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Nathan, when I bought my 1st 575 I drove it from Dallas to Calgary and I enjoyed every mile of it. I logged on about 2300 miles and proceeded to add another 3700 miles during last season.
    When I bought my Barchetta, I drove down to look at the car and brought it home in an enclosed car trailer from Salt Lake City to Calgary for the experience. This was the 1st Ferrari I bought in the US.
    With my last 575 purchase from New York, I flew down to see the car and had this one shipped back by a very reputable company.

I am glad I took the road trip in the 1st 575 that I bought, because I was using this car for exactly what it was built for.

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    twice, one from up the hill, and the other an 800 mile trip from the pacific northwest. I am a little different in that I did not find the drive to be memorable, just necessary.

17. NathanBennett

NathanBennett Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Full Name:
    Nathan Bennett
    Thanks, you have run the gamut! If I have the time I hope to drive one home. I do have an enclosed trailer and trucks if I wanted to do that.
    Unless there are reasons that make it not feasible driving the car home sounds like the way to go. I get excited just thinking about it!

18. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Mine was shipped from California to NJ.

19. F1.360.LOVER

F1.360.LOVER Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I bought mine in the winter, two years last December from Portland, Oregon. I was going to drive it home 500+ miles to Northern California but there was snow at the pass in Medford, Oregon. So, I had it delivered. The two weeks I had to wait were murder.

20. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
  21. themanwithnoferrari

Jul 18, 2011
    Plymouth, MA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    great write up for the TR. When I bought my current mustang ( 1986 w/ supercharged 347, 460rwhp at the time and a bit more over the years, still banging 3.08 gears), I had it delivered to me in Pensacola from MA. Three days after delivery the head gaskets came out of the the block! At the time the car was nineteen years old and had 23,842 miles on it. So, after being down for a couple days I got the car back, and everything felt great. The performance shop said that the gaskets let go due to the fact that the car hadn't been driven for a few years and with the forced induction it was no surprise that the gaskets blew, whether I had hammered it or not (I still hadn't made it past three pounds of boost yet). So, two weeks after taking delivery I transferred to San Diego for a couple months of training. I was off on my first road trip in the car. Other than getting a little warm in traffic and a miserable sunburn on my arm the car was great. T-roofs off, over 460 whp on tap, and open highways (I took the 10). Since then, I drove the car when I transferred up to the PNW (great drive on the 101 and I-5), and I drove it to my current home in MA from Seattle (departed Seattle 12:18am Sat, arrived Cape Cod, MA 4:48pm Sun). The road trips always start off terrifying. When buying used, make sure the car has been driven recently and atleast professionally inspected. Always carry a few emergency supplies, blanket, small first aid, change of clothes etc. jug of water for car, and a couple quarts of oil. I am sure there are plenty of great write ups for taking road trips on here that you can check out as well. Enjoy your new ferrari when you do get it and good luck.

22. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I picked mine up at the dealer in Springfield, MO and drove it about 500 miles home that day to Lawton, OK. The thing that kind of freaked me out was that I was TOTALLY unprepared for the celebrity that a Ferrari is. Cars and drivers around me went totally NUTS for the car. I bet more than 100 photos were taken of me on that drive.

Remember, the car is the star no matter where you go..... I was unprepared for that part of ownership.

PDG

23. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #23 PAP 348, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My Ferrari was trucked from point A to point B. Total 1242 miles one way. :):)

NO way I was going to drive it home. The outback highways are dangerous. They are full of kangaroos and cattle wandering across the road. There is nothing inbetween each little town and those little towns are only fuel stops, that's about it. If I broke down, id be really screwed. :D:D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. NathanBennett

NathanBennett Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Full Name:
    Nathan Bennett
    Great read! Thanks for posting it. I was kinda like the sellers when you took off in it. With almost no miles and a long trip ahead I would have been afraid of a breakdown. But instead you have a memorable story that goes in the face of those talking about initially driving cars with low miles on them. Thanks again, Nathan

25. mesoscale

mesoscale Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2004
    #25 mesoscale, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
    Be sure to watch out for the OHP. They love to sit behind the "Welcome to Oklahoma" state sign on I-40.