Didier Pironi's "B26" bomber. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Didier Pironi's "B26" bomber.

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ferrari27, Apr 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thanks nerofer... that makes sense.
    I knew Ford was not the first choice.

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Out of sheer curiosity, I investigated yesterday evening to check if the "real deal" of medium bombers of the USAAF in ETO, aka the Martin Marauder, could have been used for a movie in 1978, and filmed in flight.
    The answer is no: there was no flyable B-26 "Marauder" anywhere in the world in 1978, so no-one could have thought about filming at least one, for "historical accuracy" for a movie in the ETO.

The Confederate Air Force one, 41-35071, "Carolyn" (= N5546N), a B-26C, became airworthy again in 1984 "only"; it crashed unfortunately, in Sept. 26th, 1995. So it could not have been airworthy in 1978.
    Neither could David Tallichet's earlier version, 40-1464, which became airworthy again only in 1992.

It seems that there are only seven "Marauders" still in existence today. Two of these are ex-Free French Air Force, later "Armée de l'Air" B-26G, that is, the later version with the higher incidence wing:
    44-68219 now visible at the Utah Beach Museum, France; on loan from the "Musée de l'Air" in Le Bourget, to which it belongs.
    43-34581, at the national Museum of USAF, Wright Patterson.

Of course, the most famous of the breed is "Flak Bait", B-26B 41-31773, in the Smithonian establishment in Washington DC.
    When I saw her there in 2010, she was still unrestored, and cut in different sections: you could "enter" the forward fuselage.
    I understand she is been put back together these days (?)

Rgds

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Is Tallichet's the one currently owned by Kermit Weeks down at Fantasy of Flight?

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#30 Tcar, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Here's an except from a letter from a former B-26 pilot on Carolyn's fatal crash. At bottom.

https://www.387bg.com/Aircraft/B-26 Carolyn.htm They were tricky on landing and takeoff.
    Also, possibly water in the fuel.

The 'Confederate Air Force' name was changed to 'Commemorative Air Force' after that.

6. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Here is a photo of the B-26 at Fantasy of Flight, taken in a very crowded hangar in 2005. I thought I had pictures of the front section of "Flak Bait" taken in Washington in 2004 but cannot find them just now.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That Marauder, 40-1464, is all the more important, because it is the ONLY one remaining with the original characteristics of the type:
    short wings (enlarged later to lower the stalling speed and get better lift; and then further on the B-26G version: given more incidence, that is, "leading edge tilted upwards")
    and short fin.

Rgds

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#33 Tcar, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Nice vid of Flak Bait at the UH museum... showing present state.

9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Awesome! This thread has answered a question I've had for over fifty years. When we were stationed in Panama from '64-'67 there were twin engine WW II bombers flying overhead everyday, and I couldn't remember what they were, but they had tip tanks. I remembered it sounding like "omark" but that got me nowhere with Google. It was On Mark! These puppies:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The sound they made flying by was amazing. My dad was flying C-46's and C-47's at the time.

donv likes this.
  10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, I was - happily - wrong: there are FOUR short wing/short fin survivors:
    Besides 40-1464, discussed above
    There is also 40-1459 Charley's Jewel at the MAPS Air Museum in Akron (Ohio)

Two others are under restoration:
    40-1370 – for display at Hill Aerospace Museum, Hill AFB, Utah
    40-1501 – at the Pima Air and Space Museum, for display by David Tallichet’s Military Aircraft Restoration Corporation of Anaheil, California

Rgds

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I hope to be able to see her complete in a not-too-distant future (?) depends on the time it will take I guess.
    I understand they intend to preserve her in her original state and paint as much as possible ("Dans son jus", as we say in French, meaning "untouched" - more or less tranlated as: "in her juice"; can be applied to cars too...)

Rgds

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, the B-26 "Marauder", A-26 as illustrated and the C-46 your dad was flying shared the same engines: the exceptional P&W R-2800.
    Rgds

13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yeah, but the C-46's were slow and heavy. They did not sound much like the On Marks zipping overhead.

We had a Cabin Waco with a small radial. It was a pretty amazing aircraft. I basically grew up in the thing.

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well George, growing up behind a radial engine...there are worse environments for growing up indeed. It gave you the engine fever, I guess.
    Grewing up in the east of France, close to the german border, during the seventies, the aeroplane I saw most often was the F-104, the "zipper"; many were CF-104, actually, as the Canadians bases were just the other side of the border. And there were NO minimum heights at the time, in the middle of the Cold War, so some of these guys were flying really low. I still have a special emotion for the F-104.

And yes, the C-46 is a big aeroplane; I seem to recall that it was nicknamed "the whale"; but I like it a lot, because, jsut as the "Marauder" had a cigar (or torpedo) shape, the C-46 was streamlined...

Rgds

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I am no closer to finding out the identity of the Dolhem/Pironi aircraft, or even in finding out if it was an A-26 (B-26) or B-25. However, it seems as I initially thought that it was not a Martin B-26 Marauder. If Jose Dolhem was involved in bringing one of the above aircraft across the Atlantic (before he was taken ill) for the filming of Hanover Street, had he and/or Pironi bought one of them? The history I have seen for each of the aircraft suggests not but...

16. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    My dad started off in P-47D's in WW II, then L-20's when he was recalled during Korea. They put him in T-33's at the USAF academy, but he really loved aircraft with radials, so he went to the Air Commandos and the C-46/C-47 stint. Then, after several years flying C-141's he got a chance to fly C-123's for the CIA and jumped at the chance. Radials are just perfect engines.

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #42 nerofer, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    I think you can indeed rule out the original B-26, alias the Martin Marauder. First and foremost, none was flyable at the time, and none was even close to be made flyable; it was (and remains) a very, very rare aircraft and furthermore, it always had the reputation of being difficult, or even dangerous, to fly.
    Question is, would it have been a B-25 or a Douglas B-26 (ex A-26)? To me, but it is only a guess: a Douglas A-26/B-26 would have made more sense, because it was a better performer than a B-25, speed-wise. It had an average of about 60 mph advantage over a B-25, depending on the variant, and if you want to race the beast, that's a margin that counts. Now, identifying WHICH B-26 it could have been is a much more difficult matter; actually, I understand that we are not even sure that they actually started to try to identify one suitable for the task?

Rgds

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Almost certainly it was a Douglas Invader.

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes Jim, I agree. I have a list of the flyable aircrafts, but it wouldn't say which one it was, as it is the "Wardbird" annuary of 1990 or so, so too late (Remember the "Wardbird" revue of the late 1980s / early 1990, which lasted for about 50 issues?).
    I shall browse through it nevertheless, to see if any ownership by Dolhem or Pironi is recorded.

Furthermore:
    There was some know-how, parts, etc... in France about the P&W R-2800 during the eighties: that engine was still flying, powering the Canadairs fire-bombers; had powered many civilians types not so long ago, so there was a pool of knowledge, parts, capable mechanicians, etc...there were still some A-26 in the country, even if none was flyable (there are still four at least today); the plane served during the 1950 and early 1960 with the Armée de l'Air (some are to be seen very briefly in "Le Train" from John Frankenheimer, which was directed in 1963)
    The Wright R-2600 was not flying at the time in France; its days were gone, the pool of parts, knowledge, etc was smaller; and there was no B-25 in the country: it flew with the Free French during the second world war, but never here in France with the Armée de l'Air.
    And the B-25 was slower, it wouldn't have been a good candidate for a race.

Rgds

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  21. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Nerofer.

That looks like a wonderful website that should keep me occupied for a few hours. Hopefully it will provide me with more information than the online warbirds directory I usually go to. Although I had considered the B-25 an unlikely race plane, the mention of Jose Dolhem in the film and article had made me wonder. The Didier Pironi book says that Dolhem and Pironi owned the aircraft and that they were in the process of removing the armament when they changed their plans. This could be conjecture although the author does appear to have had access to information from their family.

Robert

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    In the meantime, I have just checked quickly my "Wardbirds Worldwide Directory", paper edition, 3rd edition, 1996.
    There are 244 A-26/B-26 "Invaders" listed, with their known successive owners. None list Dolhem/Pironi as known owners.
    Of course, that doesn't rule it out completly. They might have formed a company, and it would be recorded under that name, or the ownership might have been short and stayed unrecorded, etc...
    Rgds

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I love the OnMark airplanes! They are just bad-ass. I particularly like the one in Seattle-- I just really appreciate airplanes and cars which just keep on doing their job, and doing it well. The OnMark was designed to be fast, stylish transportation, and that's what that one still does today.

The C-46 is amazingly large. Until I saw one in person, I thought it was sort of a slightly different DC-3, but if you see them together you realize how much larger the C-46 is.

24. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I was going to say the exactly the same thing... they are huge, much bigger than than the Skytrain.
    There were about 10,000 C-47s; about 3,000+ C-46s (Approx 10' greater span and 12' longer. Greater diameter.) 1,200 hp engines vs. 2,000 hp engines that were a bit tempermental.

25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The C-46's wingspan is about the same as a B-17!