Difference between 360 years production | FerrariChat

Difference between 360 years production

Discussion in '360/430' started by 348 Turbo, Jan 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Please excuse me if this has been discussed before. I am here rather frequently, but can't remember a thread addressing it.
    SO, what changes were made over the years to the 360 series? I heard it might be cheaper to maintain a 2003 or later, due to easier service access. Is this true? What other differences are there?
    Thanks.

2. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    If the campaigns have been done that will make a 1999 +- equal to a 2005. The F1 TCU was upgraded a couple of times. The service access for the belts is the same through the 360's run. There are subtle differences through the run (door panels went from rough to a smoother finish ect.) I don't think I missed anything major, but I haven't really woken up yet.

3. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    During my recent 360 shopping/buying adventure I did extensive research here and elsewhere to discover a long list of items needing attention in the ’99-01 cars. Some were more serious than others and most were covered by factory campaigns. The trick, it seemed to me, was digging out the true status of a particular car. I came across several instances where the current owner claimed a particular item was up-to-date (sometimes supported by receipts) but a competent (sometimes dealership) mechanic claimed it was not.

Basically, it appears to me that a ’99-‘01 360 can be just as good as the later years when *all* factory campaigns and upgrades have been performed. However, I also concluded the safest way to assure myself everything was up to snuff was to shop for an ’02 or later. I bought an ’02 F1 coupe which has been a wonderful car to drive and completely trouble-free. You can likely save a little money buying a ’99-’01 but I suggest more caution in that case.

4. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ok, just curious. In going into detail...

So the 02 have the variator update

What about:
    6 bolt starter ring gear?
    Updated thrust (throw out) bearing seal?
    Updated ground strap?

TIA

5. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    According to my research, ’02 upgrades include (among many others):

New variator shaft: yes.
    6-bolt ring gear: yes.
    New throwout bearing & seal: yes
    New ground strap: late ’02 upgrade; very easy to check & change.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    First 3 are campaigns the last one is a recall. All were covered by FNA for US cars. Easy enough to find out if the campaigns have been done. Just take the VIN to a F dealer and ask. They can tell you and they would be more than glad to do the campaign if it isn't done.

As noted many times the 99 didn't have the pre-cats so it puts out more power and is a little faster.

The TCU upgrade was not a campaign but it isn't expensive either, $1500-$2000. Many have had it done but some preffer the earlier shifting so they haven't. Purely preference.

Net Net - not a significant difference.

Find the car that meets your color & option desire. Then buy it.

7. dr_kb

dr_kb Rookie

Nov 26, 2007
    Just curious, if FNA does the campaigns, then why would someone not have them done ?
    Can you just get them done on older cars or does this expire with the warranty ? Are they paid for at this point

Thx