difference between CT Off and CST Off ? | FerrariChat

difference between CT Off and CST Off ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Race3, Aug 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Race3

Race3 Karting

Nov 14, 2010
    ok, i've read the manual but i'm still a little confused between CT Off and CST Off.

Here's my understanding, is this correct? With CT (traction control) off, the car still use ABS brakes on individual wheels to maintain some control in a slide but it does not cut engine power as normal in other modes. And with CST Off (Stability control) the car allows full slides and does not active ABS or engine cut off, thereby allowing you to fully spin out.

Is that a correct explanation? If not, can someone clarify?

thanks.

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    That is my understanding. I keep my modes on all of the time, just me :).

Lee

Viperjoe likes this.
  3. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    CST off retains ABS for braking (i.e. no lockup) but will not use the brakes/et al to help keep the car pointed in the right direction....but turns just about everything else off. The e-diff still works.

CT off turns off just the traction control....so if you want to "drift" and do fancy, tire smoking slides, it will let you do that, up to a point, then it will try and help you avoid doing a donut/spin...gives you a longer leash to play, but not completely free

4. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think you are mostly correct. Even in CST OFF, the E-diff is still on in it's mildest form (most freedom). So you can spin, but oversteer exiting a corner may be controlled somewhat by the E-diff. In both modes the ABS is still on for braking. It cannot be shut off, ever.

From the manual:

CT OFF mode: When this mode is selected, the F1-Trac traction control system is disabled whereas stability control remains active. This setting is used on the racing track.

CST OFF mode: This mode allows the driver complete freedom and control of the vehicle for track use. No electronic system other than the E-Diff controls vehicle stability.

5. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I absolutely adore the TC Off setting in my Italia. It's an absolute blast, and seems to cut in just when I need it. I've never owned a car with just the right amount of leash before.

Does anyone have experience with other cars that behave the same way? Any daily drivers?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Ct off brakes each wheel at needs when sliding while modulating gas pedal for you

Cst off you control the slide

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Exactly, but the important note is with CT OFF or CST OFF, the traction control unit would let you burn the tires off in a straight line. CT OFF only gets involved in a slide, which is the only time I want it around.

I've owned a few cars, and none have had this awesome setting. All just had a stupid "Sport" traction mode that cut in more often than the 458's "Race" does. Does anyone have experience with other cars that behave the same way? Any daily drivers? Or is this killer feature a Ferrari only?

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Track mode in Perf seems to be similar and allows the car to go bathsh!t

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i can turn the stability control off in my 911s. it believe its more like CT off then CST off

10. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I know this is a very old thread, but I have a question for you all about this:

Today I took the 458S for a spin around the amazing mountain roads we have here in NorCal, and I decided to play a bit with the two options I have never tested: CT off and CST off. To be honest, I only used the CST off in a few turns that I know really well and with full visibility ahead. I don't like to take any chances outside the track. Therefore, I didn't really feel much difference because I didn't push it much.

But the point / question I'd like to post is that I could swear with the CT off setting, I felt a more aggressive throttle, engine note and steering feel, even more so than in Race mode. I don't see any of these performance-related enhancements on the settings instructions. In fact, from what I've learned the engine is both the same for Race and CT off.

So was it just my mind messing with me, or is there any truth to this feeling?

Thx in advance.

Bandit23 likes this.
  11. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    I had this same sensation in my 458 Italia, on CT off mode, the car felt much more aggressive, and just wilder and you can just push it more .much different feeling to Race Mode,
    i too thought it was playing with me ha!
    Im glad a 458S owners feels the same :)

12. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    So today I spoke to someone who owns a Scud about this, and he explained something that makes sense to me. Let me see if I’m able to replicate it…

Basically in CT off mode, the throttle limits are not there to help you, to avoid getting in trouble coming out of the turns. The resulting sensation is that it’s more alive and aggressive. So therefore the acceleration is more abrupt, less progressive and more punchy, but it’s also more troublesome if you don’t know what you’re doing.

I’ve always thought the only difference was in traction - e-diff, but apparently there’s more to it with the elimination of the throttle control added to it.

I’m not 100% certain this is real, but this makes sense to me. I’d love for some expert to provide thoughts.