Difference between Euro and US Dino | FerrariChat

Difference between Euro and US Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by F360CDC, Apr 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F360CDC

F360CDC Rookie

Jul 8, 2004
    Coto de Caza, CA
    Full Name:
    George
    Started looking recently for a Dino. I have found a few Euro models and US. Models. This obviously opens alot of questions such as resale value and other differences. I am aware of some of the differences but would be interested in what anyone else has to say. One question is does the Euro Dino have the plate that indicates vin and build date? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

George

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    #2 Ferrari_tech, Apr 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As far as I can recall Euro 246 Dino's did not have a build date on the VIN plate - here's what it would look like, sorry for poor quality of photograph.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#3 dm_n_stuff, Apr 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Attached pix - yellow car is Euro red car is US

Euro 195HP US approx 180HP

Euro flush front turn signals - US recessed

Euro often didn't have power windows or A/C US often do.

Euro built 69-74 US 72-74

US engine - 6 lobe cam on distributor Euro 3 lobe cam

US engine - all kinds of smog stuff - Euro - nope

US curb weight higher than Euro (I don't know the exact number, but I'm sure someone here does.)

Side markers on the US car, not(?) on Euro car

I'm sure there are a bunch more, these are the ones I'm coming up with off the top of my head.

4. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I'm surprised to see the Ferrari name on the vin tag. I was under the impression the Ferrari name should not appear anywhere on a 246.

Ken

5. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

Also,
    Front turn indicators are different, Euro are flush, US are recessed.
    US models have 'reflectors' added to rear (between taillamps).

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Car actually says Ferrari three or four places, all internal. Engine compartment and the door.

DM

7. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Actually, there are three versions- US, Euro and UK. Also, if memory serves me correctly, the US cars have that flat-topped steering wheel boss bearing the VIN, while Euro and UK cars do not.

8. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

Really! We've had a few threads in the past about whether a 246 is a "real" Ferrari. It was considered one in all the contempoary road test literature, while acknowledging the Ferrari name was nowhere on the car. Some people made the plausible argument that they are "Dinos" but made by Ferrari, like a Jaguar is a Ford but not really. Frank of course thinks any 8 cylinder Ferrari is really a Dino, but let's not rehash THAT one again.

If the name Ferrari is indeed on every 246....then that whole 'Dino as a seperate brand' argument goes out the window. And yes, I do think the whole subject is rather pointless. Just shut up, get in your car, and drive!! LOL

Ken

jag312 likes this.
  9. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I think for pure performance I would go for a Euro GT as they are a little stiffer and lighter than a GTS. The Euro GT, I think, weighs 2700# vs #3250 for the full up smogged, airconditioned, DOT'd US version. A GTS is great with the roof off though. Really adds to the enjoyment of the Dino experience. The GT is considered by many (myself included) as a"purer" design which was tastefully modified (compromised) for the GTS. I think they couldn't have done a better job of converting the GT to the GTS configuration. Get one of each and you don't have to worry about the pros and cons!

10. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    While on the topic - perhaps I can solicit opinions.

I am restoring (rotesserie) my Dino GT USA. It has been sand blasted and ready for blocking and painting. I am entertaining removing the front and rear side lights (USA), and replacing with the "round bullet" light in front on each side. The front turn signals require a bit more work. If I can find the chassis housing for the front lens (Euro) then I would change these as well.

Question: If I cannot find the Euro front directional signals, would you remove the rectangular side lights anyway?

Thanks for your help.

Jim S.

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There are several differences that many (above) have stated.

Another way to quickly tell is by the bumper support rods that extend out from the body to fasten the bumpers to - Euro versions have one per bumper, USA have two per bumper.

12. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    My own opinion is that since you're spending a fortune on this and a 246 is VERY collectable, you should keep the car as original as you can. Go with the US version lights. But it is your car, so if C or resale isn't a concern to you just do what you like.

Ken

13. F360CDC

F360CDC Rookie

Jul 8, 2004
    Coto de Caza, CA
    Full Name:
    George
    Thank you for all of this information. It will definitely help.

14. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    Actually, the US version only weighs between 2800 and 2900 lbs. (Source = owner's manual and contemporary road tests)

15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

The 3225 lbs on the door plate is gross vehicle weight and is supposed to include 2 passengers and a full tank of gas.

So approximately 100lbs of gas, and 350 lbs of passengers gets you to about 2800 lbs net.

Euro spec is about 2400 lbs, I believe.

Give or take a pound depending if you've had lunch or not.

DM

16. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Hi all:

On a related topic: I am replacing the exhaust system in my US Spec 1973 Ferrari 246GTS. I want to install the Tubi headers and the Muffler (I understand the headers make a very significant difference). Tubi only sells the headers for Eurospec cars. I assume this has something to do with emissions (which I do not have to worry about). Is there any other reason that I cannot install the Euro headers and exhaust to my US spec Dino.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Seminetta

17. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Euro headers will not fit on your US car. They will not clear the starter, I believe. But for sure, they won't fit.

Dave M.

18. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Thanks for your reply. Is the starter the only reason why they will not fit?
    Is the European starter smaller than the US version (hard to believe)?

I know Wayne Obry was able to get a set of European Tubi Headers to fit a US car but I think he changed the starter to a high torque model (it was a seriously modified dino). I would really like to make this work. Does anyone besides Tubi make headers for US spec Dinos? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Seminetta

19. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Jim,

Make yourself happy. If you peruse thru a bunch of Dino pics, you'll notice one thing about side marker lights. There's no rhyme or reason to them. As posted above, the yellow Dino has both front and rear bullet markers. That's the first I've seen.

I personally hate the clunky look of the US side markers and I removed them when I resprayed my car. I couldn't find a Euro front marker at the time or else I would have modified the bodywork to accomodate that as well. The Euro markers are right for the design. The US version is FUGLY. I'm still thinking of coming up with an alternative. Maybe a new flush lens for the US housing.

I'm not much of a purist so there you go. It's my car and I will do as I please. But I keep all the original parts in case I ever need to sell the car.

Just my 2 cents on your question,

Manny

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I believe everyone's favorite exhaust manufacturer, STEBRO, makes headers for the US spec car.

Contact Dan at Stebro in Canada if you dare.

http://www.stebro.net/stwc.htm

US and CAN order ( toll free ) : 1 - 888 - 8 STEBRO
    for information call : ( CANADA ) 1 - 613 - 821 - 9693
    E - Mail : sales @ stebro.net Fax : 1 - 613 - 821 - 0780

for Europe E - Mail : stebro.chw @ bluewin.ch or
    for information call : ( Switzerland ) 079 - 370 - 5873

Dave M.

[edit] I THINK I'M THE ONLY GUY HERE WHO NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM, AND THEIR EXHAUST SOUNDS GREAT ON MY CAR. [end edit]

21. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Manny - thank you for your thoughts. As I did not solicit an outrage, I suspect that most would not mind if the side markers were removed and replaced with only the front bullet marker. I am looking for European flush front directionals.

More to come.

Thanks.

Jim S.

22. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    I thought that either the U.S. or Euro Dino had alloy trunk and doors that the other didn't. Am I wrong on that?

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

206 Dino was aluminum, some early 246's used left over aluminum parts, I think my car has an aluminum trunk.

DM

24. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Interesting comment on Stebro. In the midwest, Tubi is by far the performance exhaust of choice for Ferraris. I have never heard a Stebro but just had an interesting conversation with their office.

How would describe the sound vs. stock and vs. Tubi? Tubi's sound like heaven but the cost of the exhaust is 2X that of the Stebro. Any help would be appreciated (particularly by those with Dinos).

Thanks.

Joe Seminetta

25. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Joe,

My car has the Stebro exhaust.

Here's a short movie with sound...

http://www.pennphoto.com/pages/dav/dino_movie_2.wmv

I love the sound it makes. ANd you're right, you can't beat the price. Just be careful to instruct them not to charge your card until it actually ships.

DAVE