Differences in parts between QV FI and QV DD engines? | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Differences in parts between QV FI and QV DD engines?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Doc_K, Jan 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    Nice comparison (also the two homologation sheets side by side).

BTW, the German Magazine Auto Motor und Sport recorded 4.8 seconds for 0-100 kph for both cars. For 0-200kph they recorded 16.2 sec. for GTO and 17.0 sec. for the Euro QV. Top speed was 303 kph for the 288 GTO and 298 kph for the Euro QV. All very close, but 30 years ago, it annoyed me that the GTO was slightly "better" and that the QV did not exceed 300 kph.

Question: the Ferrari 288 GTO clearly is homologated for Group B ("A" is crossed). And the Countach? Group A and Group B (I read "A/B")?

My last post in this thread - clearly off topic, I know.

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Very! :)

As you say, it was a secret for some 28 years (for whatever reason) and I was able to discover it and bring it to light. I have made a number of discoveries related to Miuras and Countachs over the past 20-plus years and I must say this is perhaps the most satisfying to me for more reasons than I should state here.

Back on topic.

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great question, the answer to which I don't exactly know.

Perhaps they wanted to keep their options open.

Of course a car like the Countach even in stripped-out Countach Evoluzione form would be more suited to Group A, which was FIA-regulated for production-derived vehicles intended for Touring Car racing, facilitating perhaps what we saw with the next-generation Diablo SVR one-make series. Just a guess.

Now I am way off topic!

4. RPMMarcus

RPMMarcus Karting

Feb 18, 2012
    super-entertaining it is! :)

a fact to share: difference between FI and carbs? the carbd engine is just so much more attractive, runs so much more agressive, enginebay looks way better and is state of the art from all carbd engines, lets not start about the FI system, i owned one of these.. later i got my hand on a DD 87 QV, no more FI for me! Unfortunately i sold that car, i never had a car again this spectaculair! Today my ass is 76 years old, can't get in or out in a countach but sure i won't forget these days!

5. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    :) very nice answer and true
    love this thread! it is probably one of the more fun i have seen on F-chat

6. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    nice pics! great to see these side by side :)

i think the quattrovalvole will never reach the GTO value but the performances are not much different (at least on the straight line) and the countach still looks better to me

the GTO is more special thoug...it was intended as a real group B car and is a super rare special built for racing machine (even if never really raced...)

p.s. i was never the BIGGEST GTO fan, i like the F40 much more for a number of reasons

7. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    the carbed engine is nicer looking than the FI, which looks still good to me!

but the airbox on the Webers cover almost all of it....i always thought it was a big pity to cover all.

i understand why some would run the cars with cone filters, no filters at all...etc, while they are not optimal for performance for the hot air sucked in the engine they look Sooo much better

8. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Seen a few web pictures with a clear perspex air box cover. Looks the nuts and keeps the air flow as it ahould be.
    R

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I won't argue with that viewpoint as it is one I share with you, and is the same one Ive received from others who have or still own both.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Name another thread where you can find FIA Homologation secrets, Fish-selling, and Shakespearean quotes in the same discussion about cars? :D

11. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    ahahahaha :)

impossible! one and only

i always make sure to open a fresh beer and have some chips (but may be i should go with fish and chips from now on...;) ) BEFORE opening this thread :)

12. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Might as well get a six pac (Pironi ?) wich i will drink plenty of in June,in Santa Margarite/Portofino ,one of my favorit places, cheers.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Emilio, stay tuned...er, I mean brace yourself, for further episodes of facts, denial, anger, howling protests, exaggerations, and finally, acceptance :D

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    This video documents how Fuelies were built & completed at the factory circa 1985-1988, alongside Downdrafts.

@ 37 Seconds shows the mighty Fuelie engine in all of its bulky glory being installed - are those tears I see in the eyes of the workers or it is just a fuzzy video?

Seriously, this video documents the source of the differences in parts between a Downdraft and a Fuelie's engines (this thread's topic). The source is the factory's own decision to produce an engine that would be emissions friendly and therefore the focus was on something other than outright performance.

@ 1:04 you can see what appears to be Cesare Lodi or his look-alike final-tuning the carbs on what appears to be Downdraft HLA12226 (new to Alberto Garnerone in Turin, Bianco Perlato with special leather piping, stitching & inserts, plus Burberry Tartan carpeting which you can see in the open trunk).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnTXq9MIA2o[/ame]

15. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Pro's: Cool video and cool song, Pink Floyd Echo's.

Con's: Hideous American bumpers, Oh the humanity? Why does the government has to wreck everything.

16. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    #291 P300V8, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Laust

Laust Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

It looks very much like this Downdraft Countach has a smog pump installed.

18. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    I don´t think its that particular car. First its JLA12226, and the carpet in the video looks much more like a scottish pattern than burberry pattern.

I think there are a few special interiors made during Countach production.

19. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Ooops I should have written Roberto Lodi...

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #295 joe sackey, Feb 11, 2017
    You are right Leo, its JLA12226 and its not the first time Ive tried to quote that chassis number by heart without getting it right.

And you are also right that JLA12666 has a different Tartan pattern in the trunk - see below.

But, without wanting to be too pedantic, I should point out that the Burberry Tartan pattern in the trunk of the car is in fact a Scottish Tartan pattern, so says The Scottish Register of Tartans! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Thank you Joe for the clarification. We never stop learning!! :)

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    See I quoted that chassis number wrong again :D but you know what car I mean.

23. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Sorry guys, had to take a brake from this bull crap, Miami boat show ,move inn deadline,all good. Hey Joe, this is effing funny, does your boxers match this pattern?

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #299 joe sackey, Feb 13, 2017
    I can't say I have any Burberry boxers!

Back on topic:

In February 1986, Nuova Automobili Lamborghini themselves released a "Catalogo Pezzi di Ricambio" specifically for the "Versione 4 Valvole Iniezione".

A 29-part comprehensive manual, it featured all the differences in parts between a Fuelie and a Downdraft, engines and everything else besides. The manual features illustrations of all components within the car indexed by literally hundreds of part numbers that are different than those of the Downdraft.

When you read the publication carefully, you realize that the two variants are essentially two different models, so extensive are the differences.

25. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Judging from the other vehicles I am pretty sure the clip featuring Roberto Lodi and the car with the tartan trunk was filmed in the customer service department. After all that is where he worked!