Digging into my 308 PT II | FerrariChat

Digging into my 308 PT II

Discussion in '308/328' started by desire308, Mar 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    #1 desire308, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am now starting to put it back together. Painted the Plenum, cleaned up the camcover and TB, changed out a lot of fuel and breather hoses [note the cloth braided replacements]. It's improving slowly. I used Krylon wrinkle paint on the plenum. After I completely stripped the old paint and cleaned with laquer thinners...then wiped the raised areas while it was still wet [as opposed to scraping after it's dry]. Made quick work of it ;) It's just a "dry fit".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    How hard was it to get the plenum off? I need to refinish mine as well - was staring at it yesterday but decided that I have other things in pieces that need to go back on before I take it off.

Looks real good by the way - very clean! Is it me or does a clean car run better?

3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Interesting use of the Top Flites!

4. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    It's not difficult...just be careful not to drop any of the spacers [in the rubber gaskets] into the intake runners. Pull it up slowly and make sure none have dislodged, secure any that have and pull the plenum slowly toward you. Once your clear cap them off to avoid dropping anything in while your in the area.

Golf balls just happen to fit ;)

5. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    So your replacing the fuel and breather hoses with regular fuel hose?? Where did you find the hoses? Are they the same size or a similar standard size??

Looks good...a couple of neon orange naked lady tees and that things good to go.

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    i commend you on your efforts and undertaking. Congrats on your new car, and thank goodness this car found its way to an owner that is a pursuist of the marque.

Its this type of work that annoys me to no end when buying these cars, or when they come up for sale. This is the reason why i say (me personally) to buy the best example you can afford, casue if you dont, you end up cleaning up someone else's mess.....if your a handy DIY then i guess its fine, but my wife doesnt like me to mess up my manicured finger nails :D:D:D:D:D:D

What else you got in store for this bad boy ?

7. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W

8. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Thanks!!

9. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    I bought the car knowing these things needed to be done. I enjoy the DIY aspect of it. I am working on a whole list of things, i.e. brake and cooling system flush, new pads, ss brake lines, wheel bearings [as needed], new fuse blocks, wheel alignment, coolant reserve tank repair or replacement, re-painting wheels, etc, etc,etc. The list is getting longer as I dig in futher but it is a good base to start with. Nothing major so it's just a lot of fussy [and important] things I am doing here. It is afterall a driver ;)

10. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
  11. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Now that's ambitious!!! I want to do that but just don't have the time. Maybe next winter ;)

How far are you going? If you are thinking of pulling the heads you may want to replace the exhaust valves and think about porting the heads. There are some discussions on this forum in respect to the performance gains it yields on a 2V motor.

12. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Unfortunatly I dont have time to tear into it Im going to change some gaskets clean it up and back in it goes.

13. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Today I dropped off the expansion tank for repair and paint. Hope it works. Also picked up a stencil for the air box. I might as well get it all done up on the top of the motor ;)

14. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    thats great that you were prepared and eager but doesnt it burn your nuts after all this work and then if you had to sell (for one reason or another), everyone thinks its only worth 25k?............after all its only a driver ;)
    Hope its everything you want it to be when your done mate :D
    Cheers !

15. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    That's OK...I'm still ahead ;)

16. MS250

Lifetime Rossa