Dino 00378 on BaT | FerrariChat

Dino 00378 on BaT

Discussion in '206/246' started by UroTrash, Sep 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I am surprised it has not bid higher, as to me this is much more interesting that a C&F that went for the 800+K.
    Maybe later, as the players are watching ...o_O

Regards, Alberto

375+ and Edward 96GTS like this.
  2. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    I think all action on BaT tends to occur on the last day or so.

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Yes, except on 00378, it was the first 2 days.
    And on this 208, we are miles away from value, so what's the worry?

Mostly, you are right, as the last day or so, except this Dino has been verrrrry slow. Hmmm.

Regards, Alberto

4. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    What do you guys think the reserve is set at? Am thinking at least $750K

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

More like the last 10 minutes or so.

This ends up at $650K+ and a no sale. that's my guess.

D

UroTrash likes this.
  6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    With property prices dropping and the wealth-effect going up in a puff of smoke, we may well be on the (soon to be) steep decline.

Or not.

My Spidey Sense is tingling.

7. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Now that Dino prices are out of reach for all but the uber wealthy, that may have less of an effect than one might think.

On the other hand, could these be slipping back down into, "DM can afford one again" territory? Nah, I wish.

But you are probably right that the heady days of $800K "sales" of these on BAT are probably over.

The price adjusting does seem to be taking place in more pedestrian BAT auctions. Porsche 911's (1999-2012ish) are not fetching the numbers they were only a month ago. Sellers there seem to have already adjusted their expectations as a result. BAT numbers on these still seem to be pushing the envelope, but not nearly as far as they have.

I think we're seeing the effect most profoundly in the regular used car markets. I'm guessing Carvana is sitting on enough overpriced inventory to give their bottom line quite a whack when they adjust them for market conditions at the end of the year. They're also dropping prices on their inventory at a faster clip, and more steeply, than they have in the prior 18 months. (Which may also have to do with some of the issues coming to light with their general business practices.)

D

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    "sales"

Shills are snoozing.

swift53 and dm_n_stuff like this.
  9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sold at $620,000

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Unless the market has turned, about $200k light.

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I am surprised that Bill took the offer, or perhaps more accurately, set the reserve low enough for this big to take this car.

Not so sure it's $200K light, and a little surprised Bill didn't try to find a private buyer first. (And who knows, maybe he did try, and couldn't find one at a price he liked.)

I think $700K would be good money for this car in this market. Remember the 206 buyer is a completely different animal than a 246 buyer, or at least I think so, fewer of them, too. I wouldn't want a 206, despite the rarity, and also because of it.

D

Martyt likes this.
  12. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I sure many here remember when 206s were thought less of than 246s because of difficulty with parts supply. Then, it seems, about 10-15 years ago that changed and they were perceived as more valuable.

13. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #14 omgjon, Sep 9, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    He could of done a lot more like put correct tires, put correct carpeting in the trunk and a few other things which might of helped. In my opinion the color hurt the price also, it was nothing special even though the color was original. These are unique cars and a color other than red which the majority of 206's were would help the price in my opinion. A unique color that was original to the car. The car also was a driver and not in restored condition. I think a fair price overall. One of the over riding decisions in buying the 206 which I'm working on now is that it's original color is Dino blu metallizzato. I think a good restoration with a good original color could be the first million dollar Dino!

V12addict, JackCongo, 500tr and 3 others like this.
  14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #15 miurasv, Sep 9, 2022
    Correct Michelin 185 VR 14 tyres are not available. However #00378 does have the Michelin XWX 205 70 VR14 tyres as fitted on the later 246s so they are the most correct tyre available. In the pictures of the car underneath, which must have been taken earlier, the car has incorrect tyres.

A rarer colour that was original to the car may have made it worth more but I do not believe the colour hurt the price of the car at all. It's the original colour. A non original colour would have made it worth less.

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    It does have an incorrect spare tyre though.

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Michelin is not the only tire that can be fitted on a 206, or any Dino for that matter, even to pass muster at an FCA concours. Vredestein makes the same size tire, and it is readily available through Tirerack.com. Although certainly the wrong tires made zero difference in the final bid price. They are, after all, a cheap fix compared to the vehicle price. But not being able to fit Michelins at this time would not prevent the car from having the right size, concours correct tires.

D

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #18 miurasv, Sep 9, 2022
    Sure, but they are only H speed rated. Vredestein. I'd want the full V rating on my 206 thanks. ;) That's why I'd go Michelin XWX 205 70 VR14, as fitted to the 246, some of which were fitted with Goodyear tyres.

Ira Schwartz and Martyt like this.
  18. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I agree regarding the color but I still think car was very well bought but, with that said, FMV is willing buyer and seller. I wonder how many 206s are left— maybe 100 of the 150???

19. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    For those of you in the know, what are the performance differential between 206 and 246? Acceleration, cornering, Braking and sheer driving experience ??

20. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I have not driven the 206–slightly lighter car and less robust HP. My guess— can’t be be too different from my 246 but I will let others chime in. It is very rare so that has to to count for something— color is not rare as Jon pointed out— so that is a strike against really what is a fabulous first generation Dino

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Red colour 206 as a percentage may be high but don't forget that they only made a small fraction of 206s in comparison to 246s so the number of red 206s is still very low.

Marcel Massini likes this.
  22. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Realistically, maybe 70, in all states of condition. Yes, it is possible one or more will surface, but at this point, even the basket cases are counted and known.

Keep in mind, as recently as 15 years ago, these were the bottom of the barrel Dino’s.

It wasn’t until I saw OMGJON take the first one apart that I realized how different they were. Truly an artisan built Dino.

23. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    about 120 to 130 are left (out of 154) .... up to 60 are in Japan!

dgt, Martyt and 375+ like this.
  24. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    to be precise at least 137 cars are left, for 17 cars no sign of live, out of the 17 cars there are 7 cars confirmed distroyed... 10 with any records beyond first owner....

dgt, UroTrash, swift53 and 1 other person like this.