Dino *03550* On BAT Auction | FerrariChat

Dino *03550* On BAT Auction

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Nov 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Amazing!!!:D:D:D

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I've seen this car and discussed it with both the current owner(since 1981) and the previous owner who acquired it as a used car from a private seller in Ohio(date uncertain).

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    And.......?

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It hasn't been regularly driven in years, and hasn't been properly serviced in decades IMO.

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #6 swift53, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Freeman,
    Pretty Hairy....o_O
    Lord knows what inhabits in that fur...
    Regards, Alberto

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Hopefully the reserve is reasonable. Needs a sympathetic, enthusiastic new owner. Once it’s been exorcised from all the “extras”, gets serviced and gets a good detail, it looks promising. I think the extra fur on the center console is a nice cozy touch!

Freeman

swift53 likes this.
  8. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    This was the first Dino I ever drove! When I drove it about three years ago, it took a while to fire it up, but we at least got it running and were able to take it "around the block" (maybe a couple of miles or so). No comments are needed on the interior - the pictures speak for themselves! There were several oil leaks, rust on bottom of the doors, and it was very obvious car had sat for many years and had been neglected. In my opinion the car needs a total restoration. I wonder if the dealer / party representing the car has purchased it (I highly doubt it, but you never know). If not, I can only imagine what "pie in the sky" numbers were given to the current owner in order to secure the right to market this car.

375+ likes this.
  9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    In my opinion this is a good canditate for a (costly) total restoration.
    Best Peter

10. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This one looks like another Gullwing candidate.

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I don’t disagree but it could mean affordable, entry level Dino ownership for those that have been dreaming of one for years. This one looks pretty complete with its books and tools (worth $16K+?). Taking into consideration of some recommissioning and not finding any serious rust or anything else not too serious, I would say around $230K retail would still be well bought?

Freeman

12. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    We will see. Likely the car needs frame off to be right, and once it's blasted who knows what's underneath the paint. As far as the books and tools, I don't think the blue manual is correct, and a lot of the tools look like they're missing from the roll.
    That said, low 200s sounds right, even though I'd plan on a complete cosmetic and mechanical restoration. I would be surprised if it doesn't need an engine rebuild, suspension if obvious, frame shows significant surface rust, so I'll bet there are some more problems to be found once the underbody panels are removed (unscrewed?) With a proper restoration a '72 246GT has already sold over $400k, so not a bad buy.

13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    But preserving the seat covers, please!

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I think the seat covers need a flea collar!

375+ and Bluebottle like this.
  15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I believe that the owner has higher expectations.

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    A strong strategy would be to lift the reserve at around $190K to inspire healthy bidding and then let the market decide the final price. I’ve seen way too many get stale on the market with optimistic pricing. BAT is popular internationally and will have everyone’s attention.

17. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

I'm not surprised. Why doesn't he just clean it up himself then go for the sale?

18. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I don’t think there is a lot of people left that wants to enter Dino ownership at +200 K$ without aiming for drivability and perfection and we all know what effort that takes. I would say a wonderful project for the DIY'er that has the time, economy and the skills. Good economy? That depends on how high you value your free time...-:) and future Dino prices.. I doubt very much that a professional company can make a reasonable profit on that car here in the western Europe anyway. By the way love the seats.

Best Peter

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005

20. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Looking back at my pictures from 3 years ago, it appears as though there is rust at the bottom of one of the doors. Funny how BAT ad says no rust!

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    First off, I don’t believe what I read. As Ronald Reagan once said, “Trust but Verify!” The good thing about Dinos is that they’re mostly a single paneled body on top of a space frame and not a complex monocoque. Truly built in the old coach built style. New paint can cover a lot of sins. I prefer seeing old paint with any issues exposing themselves. With this Dino, it’ll be all about the price and if it’s priced accordingly.

Freeman

22. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    But how much old paint is on this one? It's definitely been resprayed, around the gas cap shows this without a doubt.

23. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    What do you consider as the right price for this car?

24. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

I think this guy is expecting north of 200K. Even throwing another 100K at it might not get you all the way done.

25. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I hope the reserve is low enough that it will allow the market to determine the right price. There really isn’t anything special about this Dino except it looks complete and has most of its books and tools. If bought correctly, it could give a good basis for a grassroots DIY enthusiast.

375+ likes this.