Dino *03550* On BAT Auction | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Dino *03550* On BAT Auction

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Nov 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    It breaks down to many factors. What is the value of the core car? Any books/tools ($$)? Emotional value of spec? Color? History? Etc.

The last poster on BAT said he had it from a reputable source that the original color was Dino Blue (Metallic?) /Beige. If it were fully restored to that spec, it would be a nice machine. I originally stated that $230K retail as-is would still be well bought.

I wasn’t too excited about this Dino. Somehow I just didn’t connect with it. Emotionally the Verde Pino Metallizzato Euro Spec Coupe *04984* does much more for me!

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/euro-dino-04984-verde-pino-metallizzato-for-sale.514993/

2. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    as for this Dino, it truly is one that you have to see in the flesh then once you do, you will realize that the seller should have jumped all over that 241 bid - if it is real. I have seen the car and I think "375" has as well. Personally I think he is generous in saying 220 as I wouldn't even pay 200 for it.

375+ likes this.
  3. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

politely disagree

"go find one"

post me 3 246 GT's in the 200's

you can probably find them

but it ain't gonna be easy

4. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    And for context - I bought my 246 GTS only 9 months ago - and I lusted after them for years - I looked at every car - I paid for 2 PPI's on cars that I did not buy - I fell in love with every car - I could see the good and the upside of every single one of them - So when I look at this car - I love it - yes this dog has fleas but ... what do I care? - If i'm gonna buy and love and fix and drive the car - I knew I was gonna have to pay for some of the assumed uptick in value - meaning I was gonna have to pay up tp 20% more than actual market value - like in real estate - if you have a desirable house in a desirable neighborhood - you can charge someone what we all believe it will be worth in 18 months or a year - because if you don't? someone else will

I'm sticking with "go find one" - if all of you guys already have one in your garage you don't fully understand or maybe don't remember the lust that can drive the market. I may be the guy on our little forum has most recently been drunk with that lust so that's the place I'm reporting from.

I love that BAT car - I could convince myself to love it - all day - 240? Sure.

Eltel246 likes this.
  5. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    That's what I could find in a quick search and some of these cars are the same cars I was picking through over a year ago.

6. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agreed. I did the same search 2 years ago for a nice restoration candidate or a fully restored car. None of the “restored” cars met my expectations of what a restoration should include and nearly all of the restoration candidates cars had issues such as engines that were not original to the car, too many incorrect components, original colors that were not of interest to me, etc. Add to that wanting a Euro spec car and the list of potential cars reduced significantly.

When you consider all of that, it can take years to find something suitable and then one will understand paying a bit more than expected for the right car.

pshoejberg likes this.
  7. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

At 241K and did not meet reserve, this guy is smoking crack!

8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Or the market has changed...
    Could be a $400k car when finished (or more.) I don't understand why so many think $241k is so far off.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Clearly I struck a nerve here. If you think that the car is a screaming buy at $241, present the offer and write the check.

10. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

So you really think 300K to purchase and then another 100K to fix leaves you room on the value?

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That's not my calculus George, I'm on your side of the equation.

12. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

No nerve struck - I agree with all that's been said here - I don't think it's a screaming buy at 241 - but when I saw the auction go up, I guessed that the seller was looking for big fish and using BAT to get a lot of exposure - if he's serious about selling it...this auction surely helped.

And my personal opinion is that these cars are very special and the numbers of available cars will always be low compared to many other collector cars. I don't ever see a moment in time wherein suddenly 100's of DINOS will flood the market - I could be wrong - I was just trying to report a little experience from the front lines of actually trying to buy one.

375+ likes this.
  13. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

I have a hard time with these prices for a 6 cylinder car that was known to be under powered right from the start.

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Well expressed and thanks for posting your remarks.

Neelfryer likes this.
  15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I disagree George. I have owned 5 246 Dinos and driven many others. The 246 Dino is an Enzo-era Ferrari with six cylinders. They share DNA with the great 1960's Ferrari--250-275-330--and they are magnificent cars by any standard. Spend some time behind the wheel with a good one, you will see the light.

16. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Next time you buy one we'll go for coffee!

375+ likes this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That's a deal!

18. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    In truth - this is what I really was digging for - I LOVE the stories of the search and the connection to a car before you purchase - the chase - the love affair - I happened to be going to NY for the Holidays and I knew this car that I had looked at online was in Long Island. My older sister heard I was driving to Long Island to see a car and offered to tag along. An hour into the trip she asked "What is it we're going to see?"

And when I told her what it was, she said "well obviously you're gonna buy this car" - and it was the first small twinge I got that I might actually be getting a Dino.

I know that's a silly story but getting the car and pouring through the books and photos that came with it has been so rewarding. I do find all rare old cars fascinating. I love the stories.

I would love to hear a few lines about the acquisition of some of those 246's.

cnpapa24 likes this.
  19. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I love the stories as well and this is a great one. Post some pics!

20. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
  21. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris