Dino 246 GT /GTS values | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino 246 GT /GTS values

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino, Aug 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NOWANNABE65

NOWANNABE65 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    Can anyone tell me the amount of Dinos Ferrari has produced, the years of production, and the chart of value over the years? I never paid attention, but I have been told that these cars were trading as low as $30K even a few years ago.

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I'm not an expert on this at all, but FWIW, Carbon (NNO) did an interesting post a while back on all models and their production numbers.
    For the Dino models, he said:

Dino 246 GT
    Production started: 1969.
    Production ended: 1974.
    Total production: 2,487, 488 RHD.
    First serial number: 00400.
    Last serial number: 07650.

Dino 246 GTS
    Production started: 1971.
    Production ended: 1974.
    Total production: 1,274, 235 RHD.
    First serial number: 02174.
    Last serial number: 08518.

I don't know how accurate these numbers are, but I suspect they might be close.
    NNO's thread on this topic is here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137725501#post137725501

I'm sure there are more qualified people in this section that might have other data.

3. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC

Thanks Ron, you are always helpful. Very interesting. I thought that the Dino was considered "the poor man`s Ferrari" and it was actually a Fiat and was mass produced for people to use it as daily drivers. I did not realized that the production numbers were so low. Thanks again, Ron. One more thing, do you know of any books that you may recommend? Since I got stuck with this replica flairs and chairs, I want to study up on the Dino. I will probably reconvert it to an original 246GTS and do a professional nuts and bolt restoration and make it factorry original.

4. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Here's my personal infos on Dinos. Dino 206 GT 1967~'69 #0102~0404, 153 produced; Dino 246GT Series 1 Tipo L 1969~'70 #00400~011, 357 produced; Dino 246GT Series 2 Tipo M 1970='71 #01118=021, 1624 produced; Dino GT Series 3 Tipo E 1971='74 #02132~07650, 1624 produced; Dino GTS 1972-1974 #02174~08518, 1274 produced. And yes, Dinos had their low points in market values, but more than few years ago. w/ smiles Jimmy

5. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC

Thanks Jimmy, but could I bother you to explain what the differences were for all the above vehicles? Why did my replica not have air conditioner? I have not seen my car yet since it was shipped from the crooks at Motorcars of Las Vegas straight to Piero Navarro at Motorcars of Distinction. I gather that it is a very slow car? I do like the looks of it. I like the curves. Also, what were the sizes of the wheels? I like the wider wheels and am thinking about increasing the wheels one inch if that was an option. If not, I will leave the wheels alone. I really like the wire wheels on vintage vehciles. The Lusso had such wheels. Does your buddy, the guy that manufactures Dino A/Cs have any contact with custom wheels for the Dino? Thanks, Jimmy.

6. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Probably your best bet is to find publications on Dinos for enlightment. Nevertheless, let me rant a bit, the original Dino 206GT was the start. Mid-engine side mounted V6. The major differences from the successors was that 206GT's were all coupes, all alloy bodies, and engines were all alloys too. Overall body dimensions were shorter. Cosmetic differences include narrower bumpers, only six vent slits versus seven in 246GT models, door key location, muffler sizes, etc. It lacked torque relative to the latter brothers, but 206GTs higher higher revving engine where they were more comfortable. 246GT Tipo L was the next in line with larger engine made out of steel for cost & durability reasons. Body dimensions larger and body became steel except for doos & lids. In other words Tipo L was the hybrid between 206GT and latter Tipo Ms & Es. I believe the last GTS models were made for the US needs. A/C were optionals along w/ power windows and other comfort goodies. If you simply compare the numbers and specs, Dinos are not as "fast" as your collections. However, for a car w/ less than 200HP along with the lightness and midship layout, etc. Dinos are one of the best well balanced cars around. Probably, you'll best appreciate it zipping thru winding roads. You've got to drive it to appreciate and understand the total balance and feel. If you simply want to go straight as fast as possible, ie. 0~60, you have them already. The experience is pure enjoyment. You just can't beat the carburators, chain driven rather than belt, etc. etc. Too much to cover in a single reply. w/ smiles Jimmy

-K1- likes this.
  7. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC

Jimmy,

200 Horsepower? Did you say that correctly? My jet skis have 254 Horsepower. Kidding aside, extremely informative and I appreciate you taking the time explaining the info. I am super curious now to get that car to me and start drving it before it starts to snow in Chicago. Make sure you do not purchase any cars from Motorcars of Las Vegas. I got my replica from those crooks and paid factory original prices.

Best,

Gustan

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I WISH they has 200 HP!

9. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC

You mean to tell me it is LESS THAN 200?

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #35 UroTrash, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008

Oh my.....

They were CLAIMED to have 195 HP. I suspect that was at the crank. So at the wheel....anybody? Anybody?

I'd guess 175, to be kind.

Edited. :)

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The 246 Dino has never been about straight line performance.

Outstanding style, decent handling, adequate power and with a Tubi a sound that is music to an enthusiasts ears.

There are few cars with as much timeless sex-appeal.

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A power specification is incomplete on its own; that is, it is the highest point in a power curve and those who love statistics love to grab onto this "number" and tout it. It actually conveys very little information without the complete curve, the total weight of the vehicle, transaxle gearing, the capability of the vehicle, etc.

Drive one and you'll be far more informed on how nice the Dino is than to just quote a single statistic and imply the car is underpowered.

Remember, the Dino engine comes from Ferrari's racing dept/program. How many Ferraris that have a larger power spec can make that claim?
    Not many, and history has shown us that Ferraris which are descendants of racing programs experience serious appreciation.

Beside power, the styling of teh Dino is descendant from other Ferraris of the day and many people say the see the lines of other vintage Ferrari in it, the 250LM, the 275, 330 series and more. PininFarina has cliamed the Dino is one of his BEST 10 designs of his entire career. Pretty bold retrospect, eh?

Drive one and you'll be far more informed on how lovely the perspective is in the driver's seat is.

But don't just quote a single power figure and imply inferiority ...

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    From the Dino Register on "Flares and Chairs" Dinos
    http://www.dinoregister.com/production.php
    "These options started appearing on 246 Dinos in the car number range of the 4000s (earliest in the register is 04676). A Dino is Germany, 03650, is said to have flares, but unknown if the option is a factory original, or not, and confirmation has not been possible. The total number of Dinos which were produced with this option is unknown, however the register has 145 cars listed which suggests there were certainly less than 200-250 so equipped."

14. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #39 John Corbani, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
    Gustan,
    Best hour you will spend is going through the Dino Register. http://www.dinoregister.com/
    If you had done that before buying the Dino you would have been much smarter. Better late than never. Prices have wandered up, down, then back up since I bought my GT in '86. I paid $30,000 then and I thought it was fair. Been a very good car. Now it is worth something between $100K and $200K. 100 point GTs are higher. GTSs seem to be worth a $20K-$50K premium. Of course at least one sold over $300K. Prices are for a close to 100% stock Dino. Modifications have both helped and hurt recent sales figures. The car you bought was far from stock and others have mentioned most of the issues on another thread that was started just after the car came on the market. Read it if you haven't. FChat model specific Forums are wonderfully educational. The 206/246 one sure is!

Putting a Dino badge on the nose and putting a Momo Prototipo steering wheel wheel on the car would be good. If the engine is sound, the suspension is tight and it drives right, your lady will love it and everything else can wait. Best of luck.
    John

P.S. It has more than enough power to bring smiles to your face anywhere there is a winding road. Sometimes lots more than enough!
    JC

15. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC

Thanks John, I will take up on your advise.

Best,

Gustan

16. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I just hosted a Ferrari Club trip to our wine country and there are photos where the Dino is in front of teh 10 and 12 cylinder cars
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203265

I believe the Dino offers more than you give it credit for; a fine balance between agility, handling and speed.

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    PS - At Bella Italia, OMGJ's sons, Jeff and Ryan, told me that they enjoy driving it more than he does...so the Dino's innate timeless attraction spans generations.

19. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC

Excellent thread. Really enjoyed your narrative and the photos you took. I remember when I was a kid taking mini road trips with my family and taking pictures. It reminds me of my childhood and how much I appreciated those trips. It is so refreshing seeing a group of friends taking a road trip like that and taking photos. I would love to do something like that with a group of friends with common interests. Those pictures are priceless. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, Scott.

Gustan

20. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    #45 f328nvl, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    #46 f328nvl, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC

Thanks John,

Just what I was looking for, Very interesting and informative.

Thank you again.

23. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yours does!!

177 RWHP = approx 200 crank HP, assuming a 12-15% loss of hp in the drive train.

Look at your dyno sheet run. :D

Dave

24. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I think I need to get a "Type R" sticker from a Civic to plaster on the back of the car.

25. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I still say that a head-to-head comparison with mine is in order. Oh yeah, I forgot. I don't really have a Dino. That's why I can't get admitted to the Owner's Forum. ;)