Dino 246 GT /GTS values | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Dino 246 GT /GTS values

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino, Aug 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You got a Granny Smith apple...

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Perhaps a "Challenge Stradale" insignia on the back of your car since it makes more than the factory stock car by about the same margin as the 360CS does over the stock 360. Get yourself some carbon fiber door panels, some lightened racing seats an you're on your way!!

DM

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  4. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  5. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    The positioning of the "plimsoll" line appears to be a matter of personal taste on the Dino. I am sure that we have had a discussion on this before in the past, but can anyone enlighten me on the general concensus of opinion as to where it should run?
    G P

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Trouble is Graham, a lot of people make the fundamental mistake of getting the lines all wrong and not matching one side with the other.....you know who i mean too :)))

Hows that engine coming along?

7. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    I have tried to use a functional rule and use a ruberized undercoating to try and protect the bottoms. Under the doors, the line runs just above the crease. Maybe 1/4". Lay a line of 1" tape above this line. Make sure it is straight. On the nose, stand way back (30-50 ft) and direct a second person laying 1"wide tape. Put one end of the tape on the side, over the side tape. Run a straight line across the front wheel and head toward the top edge of the little air intakes. The line will look funny if you are up close but is great from 50 feet or more. In the rear, run a straight line from the side, just in front of the rear wheel, headed for the top of the rear cutouts for the exhaust pipes. Do the other side the same way. It takes two people and one must be 30-50 feet away. The line must be straight from side to end point with view point no more than a foot above the bottom of the side. If you can get the car up in the air, life is easy. If not, bring a pillow. The guy taping will hate you. Once the sides are done, just connect the sides with a smooth line. Doing one side and getting the painter's oath that he will duplicate the line on the other side is a disaster. He will not get a second person to help and the sides will not match. Have done this methode twice and works well. There have been lots of stone marks in the black but none have hit metal.
    If you have a laser level that can project a straight line, life is simple. Sides are automatic, ends just need a laser line that can be tilted the right amount. The end points of front air intake and top of exhaust cutouts work well. Laser lines should hit sides just inside wheels. Laser height should be set even with top of side line and 10-15 ft back.
    Both ways are pretty simple. And it looks pretty good.
    John

8. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    John,
    Thanks, I had'nt thought about using a laser line, thats a great idea and those things are cheap as chips these days!
    G P

9. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #59 kvisser, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are some photos I squeezed off of Michael's beautiful Dino. What a lovely car! He didn't want to take it over 5500 at the time. What a great sound! I look forward to my next ride where we can explore the upper rpm range.

I agree with some of the earlier comments, you don't need 500 hp to really enjoy a car such as this. The hp actually makes you drive the car without risking reckless driving charges.

thanks Michael!

regards

ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Beautiful! Thanks for the pix.

11. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    A dealer just offered me $250k plus for my car to resell to a client. He knew my car through the previous owner. That's an opening bid, plus the commission to the dealer.

Credit crunch? What stinking credit crunch??

Car NFS. Period.

12. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #62 Crawler, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
    Holy effing cr*p!!!!

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #63 synchro, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  14. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
  15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Are you sure?

16. TheGreat348

TheGreat348 Karting

Jul 15, 2008
    You were offered $250K PLUS for the car and you did not consider???? That is an absurd amount of money for this car. I would certainly consider selling for that kind of money.

17. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #67 UroTrash, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008

Welcome to the board Great Guy!

Why exactly is that figure absurd?

If great GTSs are trading at $220k+ and he feels he has a superior car and it is exactly what he wants....

18. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Not absurd for an iconic car they're not makin' anymore, but it might be a princely sum given current economics.

19. TheGreat348

TheGreat348 Karting

Jul 15, 2008
    For $250K plus, one could have a PAIR of Fuel Injected Split window coupes. After driving my father's split window fuelie and a friends 72' 246GT, there is no comparison whatsoever. The corvette blows it away on every front. Well...not every front, the DINO is a gorgeous car but then, so is the SWC. Aside from comparing things in that sense, I just think that $250K+ is a boatload of money for what the car is. Coming from mostly a BMW world, I understand that I may not have the full appreciation but wow...I just can't get over that figure.

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#70 dm_n_stuff, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
    Uh oh.

This could get ugly.

I don't think there's a Dino guy on the planet who would trade his car for a Corvette. Two completely different animals.

But, I might be wrong. Uro - would you trade? John? Jon? Shawn? Dan? Bueller? Bueller??

21. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #71 Crawler, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2008
    Oh boy! I am going to push away from the keyboard now and quietly walk away, while I ponder the option of trading the Dino for two '63 split window coupes. Oh wait, I don't have enough garage space. Darn!

By the way, the last Vette I drove was a C4. It was a truck compared to the Dino.

22. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    +1

Well $250 for a Dino gives the impression that someone really wants it, the $125 for a SW Vette seems more absurd. All a matter of preference (There's surely someone out there that thinks either of those cars is over priced compared to the Nissan GTR!)

23. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I have totally resisted the urge to play the old game "what could I get for X dollars", i.e.,

Dino vs 230SL + early 911+ AH 3000+ XKE + etc.

I use to do that years ago but its really hard to take care of more than one car IMHO.

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i feel pretty confident there is a damn good reason i don't have any corvette's in my garage

25. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#75 dm_n_stuff, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017