Dino 246 GT /GTS values | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Dino 246 GT /GTS values

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino, Aug 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheGreat348

TheGreat348 Karting

Jul 15, 2008
    I always loved the F4. I could hardly afford the gas bill for a fill-up nevermind the maintenence.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    enough of the thread hijacking.

3. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Sorry about that.

...and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

4. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
  5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    With Sheehan's recent offering at a hair under $190k, it looks like Dinos have turned the corner on the recession and prices are in an upwards direction.
    http://ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=FE-246GTS-05496
    Text below

1973 Dino (Ferrari) 246 GTS Serial Number 05496

We are pleased to offer 1973 Ferrari 246 GTS s/n 05496, a former platinum scoring USA model 246 GTS with only 51,352 well–documented miles and a known ownership history from new. Complete with the correct original leather owner’s pouch, the full set of six books plus the ultra–rare warranty card from the selling dealer to the first owner. Also has the full tools set and tool roll and the jack, jack bag and lug wrench. Even has the original Becker Europa stereo. Only six owners from new and with one owner from 1979 to 2002, so 23 years. New in Marrone Dino metallizzato with tan leather seats and power windows. Still in Marrone Dino metallizzato with tan leather today. Best in show and a platinum award at the Limerock FCA meet 2000. Very nicely detailed older “platinum level” paint and body fit, with all rubber, trim and controls nicely detailed. Near new tan leather “Daytona” seats, door panels and carpets. Recent mechanical service, new clutch and cable, paint detailed and touched up. With fresh detail work and a thorough detail of the engine compartment this Dino could again grace the lawns of next year’s concours circuit.

This 246 GTS offers everything the Ferrari owner could want: full books, warranty card and tools, the fun of topless motoring, the soft and sensual lines of the Dino and the sounds of the well–proven, low maintenance and high–revving V6 that makes every trip to the grocery store sound like a qualifying lap at Sebring. Mechanically maintained, this Ferrari is in excellent condition, with everything working as it should. A cosmetically and mechanically superb Ferrari that could easily be platinum again, priced right at $189,500.

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    There can be a big difference between the "asking" and what the "actual" transaction price is. It will also be interesting to see where "GT" prices go vs "GTS" prices go in the future.

Freeman

7. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    One of the previous owners used to put this car in our fall car shows at New Canaan Motorsports . He maintained it beautifully and had the interior done by a South African guy Squid or Quid(something like that) and the guy did a beautiful job. He was a very meticulous owner- it was a lovely car!

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Freeman,

The gt has always lagged the gts, however, in europe, there hasn't been as big as a spread in the prices - don't know if that trend is going to continue either positive or negative. I think the gt has truer lines and it's sillouette is much prettier.

what is most interesting is the number of quiet transactions that have taken place over the last couple of months. None of them have been something to get excited about, but they are good/great/mediocre cars moving around at #'s that seem to support the market.

I have no inside info on the car that sheehan has, but suspect it will move around $17x k, give or take a little. It is a nice car and they seem to move at that level. if it brings more, it will be because it is NOT red (how many of those are out there?) and in great shape.

Asking is always a matter of market opinion and the market is very closed today for public info. I do know this, I received two Dino specific phone calls last week asking me about my opinion on two cars pubicly advertised. I don't pretend to be an expert (well maybe I know more than the average bear..) and don't have a phone number pubicly out there. Both are real buyers wanting a Dino and willing to do a deal today. One is a freind and the other is a friend of a friend.

In fairness of full disclosure, I have had an opportunity present itself and might have to let go of a Dino to get the deal done. Not really wanting to, but it is the case. That doesn't change the reality of a slow but true market that seems to have died down a bit with respect to the # of cars out there. I do think the softness of the market has eliminated the number of bad cars that finally get thrown out in the open. I know of a Dino here in Houston that almost got moved out of a container it has spent the last 15 years in and now will most likely spend many more years in....

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I have been fortunate to experience many signature cars in my life. Few in my opinion give you the feeling and the visual/aural stimulation that the Dino gives. The Dino is a car you fall in "love" with. It is a car you dream about and can one day own. I am "smitten" and "mesmorized" by the Dino. I think the Dino will only become more coveted in the future. especially with its limited numbers mixed with its appeal. As an example, the Carrera RS is for sure a great car but is nowhere in the same league when it come to the "sense of occasion" that you experience with the Dino. It has nothing to do with 0-60, top speed or time around a track. My 2 cents.

Freeman

10. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Freeman,

I feel exactly the same way. At the risk of turning this forum into a tear-jerking love confessional to the Dino, I have to admit that I, too, am in"love" with the Dino. I, too, am mesmerized by it. I may not have been as lucky as you, to have driven many other exotics, but by now that is irrelevant. For me, there is only the Dino, and no other car is of interest to me. (It does sound like love, doesn´t it?). The Dino has the ability to do that to otherwise sensible individuals. Of the other cars I have driven and owned, only the Lotus Elan came close in pure driving excitement, but it was a very different car to drive and to live with. As you said, nothing comes close to the visual and aural excitement of the Dino. To that I can only add that every time I go for a drive in the Dino, I come back with a smile on my face. And that - as a popular commercial used to say - is priceless.
    With that type of universal, almost magical appeal, I too, believe the Dinos will continue to be in strong demand for a long time to come.

Lars

11. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I could not agree more, Freeman and Lars. Owning a Dino was something that I dreamed about for 10 years, starting when I first saw a drawing of the '65 Dino Berlinetta Speciale. I have now been a Dino owner for 34 years, and an owner of two Dinos for 27 years. It never gets old--the design, the experience or the lust. About how many cars can that be said? My stock answer to people who ask why I own two Dinos has always been this: "I can't afford three!" Fred

12. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Lovely Fred, I wish i could say that...i would enjoy it so much!

13. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thank you, dignini, il piacere e' stato solo il mio! Fred

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    When I bought my first 308 gtsi in 1997, the Dino was still a girls Ferrari. I almost traded the 308 for a yellow GTS but backed out. Paid $30k for 308 and the Dino was $35k. Dumbest decision I made. Bought a TR instead.....

These cars have a proper place in history and it isn't always about quickness/hp.

Visually, there is no car I like better.

If both the GTS and GT were introduced at the same time and made at the same rate, I think they would have equal values, I think the GTS pulls ahead do to its rarity....

Although, I have to admit, I am SO tired of the "What year Corvette is that?" questions....

15. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I believe, perhaps incorrectly (please confirm) that the number GTs and GTSs are quite close. More GTSs were produced than GTs in later years. In either case, neither is considered "rare".

The GTS premium is based on the current preference for open air versus a safe, rigid, quiet, non-pretentious, non-ostentatious, more aesthetic choice.

Jim S.

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Jim,

Twice as many coupes as spiders. In later years, I agree, mostly spiders....

Regardless, the spider is rarer than the coupe. I think there are more spiders in the us than coupes. Coupes weren't imported into the us until late 71/early 72 when new. Coupes had been in Europe for several years when US importation started.

17. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Hence, the GTS is rarer????

Jim S.

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Roughly 2400 coupes and 1200 spyders. Numbers have been published with "production" #'s and going by them, the spyders dominate late production, but the coupes seem more popular in Europe than spyders

I agree in the US, open cars always bring more value, but not always the case in Europe.

Regardless, the design of the coupe is smoother and more fluid. The spyder has a "forced" form in the roofline. I still would prefer a spyder over a coupe, but at least I can offer honest judgement.

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  20. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  21. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Unfortunately wrong front end (late E-series), seats seem to be L-series (no headrests). The rest looks very good.

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/947-Ferrari-246%20GT%20Dino-2.4%20Litre%206%20Cylinder

1971 Ferrari Dino 246 GT
    s/n *02108*
    Rosso Corsa with Black Interior and Cloth Inserts

Named for Enzo Ferrari’s son, Alfredino, who had died in 1956 at the age of 24 as the result of muscular dystrophy, the Dino was, fittingly, a ‘baby’ Ferrari that was dimensionally smaller and more nimble than any other street Ferrari previously offered. Its mid-placed engine was a Ferrari first for a street car, while the quad cam V6 was a soulful engine that capitalized on Ferrari’s racing experience gained from building racing V6’s. Styling was of course by Pininfarina, and the Dino has long been a favorite among Ferrari enthusiasts thanks to its beautiful lines and proportions, lovely engine, and balanced chassis.

This particular example is an early European specification car, purchased by the current owners in the late 1990s needing restoration work. Body work, a complete repaint, selected re-chroming, underside and engine bay details, and considerable mechanical work has just been completed.

The car makes a very strong impression with fresh, exceptionally high quality paint work. The paint is virtually flawless, with less than 100 miles since completion. Panel match is very good throughout. Much of the chrome was restored and is in very good condition accordingly. The windshield was replaced at the time of the paint work and remains as-new. The side windows have some markings from sanding and assembly. The wheels are original and complete, and appear to be unrestored. The car sits on older Michelin XWX tires. The desirable smaller, European side marker lights and flush front indicators are still present on this example.

The interior appears to be substantially original, with nice vinyl upholstery in the original style, with cloth inserts. The dashboard also appears to be original and is very nice considering this. While the amp gauge and Momo steering wheel are aftermarket items, the balance of gauges and controls appear to be factory correct.

The engine bay benefits from a recent detail and looks very nice, although it was not done to show standards. The front compartment is very nice with all inner plastic panels in outstanding unbroken condition. With the car comes a spare tire and wheel, but no hold down. Underneath, the car is very nice, with no chassis rust in evidence. By virtue of the very recent repaint, the longitudinals are good, and the body looks good as well. This car is not equipped with sheet aluminum under panels, but a new stainless exhaust system has just been fitted.

While at Fantasy Junction, the carburetors have been overhauled, cleaned and adjusted, a four wheel alignment performed, transaxle oil changed and clutch adjusted, and a compression test completed to confirm that the motor is in excellent health- with all 6 cylinders between 150-165 lbs. The transaxle is in very good order with an exceptionally nice second gear syncro both warm and cold. The current owner reports that the engine and transaxle were rebuilt just prior to him acquiring the car, and while this seems very likely, we do not have records to confirm exactly what work was performed.

Some mechanical detail work remains. The wipers to not function reliably, the turn indicators do not automatically cancel, the horn is not very audible, and there are no aluminum under trays. The next owner may also wish to mount a newer set of Michelin XWX tires.

This example will be ideal for the tinker-minded, mechanically-able future owner looking for a cosmetically ‘done’ car at the right price with the opportunity for some personal sorting.

Early, European specification Dinos are widely regarded as ‘drivers cars’, being slightly lighter unencumbered by power windows, air conditioning, or emissions equipment. Additionally, European spec cars are seen as the most aesthetically desirable, with smaller side marker lights and flush front indicator lenses.

Contact Information
    Fantasy Junction +1 510 653 7555 Emeryville, California 94608 USA

23. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Car looks fantastic; seems prices are still a bit off.... good for the next buyer! :)

24. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What do u mean a bit off?

Cheap or expensive

25. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004