Dino 246 GT /GTS values | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Dino 246 GT /GTS values

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino, Aug 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#126 dinogts, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
    I flew down to look at this and a dark blue Dino at Fantasy Junction, and the Dino Met. Blue GT # 03656 at Specialty Sales in February/March - now I can't remember when. Anyway, I drove the two blue Dinos, and bought the one at Specialty, while Freeman Thomas bought the dark blue Dino at Fantasy after having also driven the blue Dino at Specialty. I saw the red one at the paint shop just after they had finished painting it, but before they did the final polishing (or whatever they do). The car looked great, but wasn't ready to be driven at the time. Also, both Johnny Duenas at Specialty Sales in Benicia and Spencer Trenery at Fantasy Junction were really straightforward in their descriptions of all of the cars - they did not shy away from telling me the problem areas and issues with each car - you will note that Fantasy Junction makes clear in the description what they know (and don't know) about the red Dino, and what needs to be worked on.

Mark

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Mark is correct. Both Fantasy Junction and Specialty Auto Sales were both great and a pleasure to work with. Spencer Trenery opened up Fantasy Junction on a Sunday and allowed me to truly inspect "03932" on the rack and on the road. No pressure and completely honest. No pressure when I went away "to think about it". I would have no hesitation to buy another classic from them. You need to do your homework on the car and see what it needs. The seats look like from an "L-Series" which has the headrest on the firewall. I prefer buying a car like *03656* or mine with old paint. If it has been repainted recently I would want to see images of the body when it was stripped down. New paint can cover a lot of sins!

Freeman

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110566609196
    The ad shows $150k start with reserve

FERRARI DINO 246GTS
    Mileage: 62,245 miles
    VIN: 04996

A verified 2 owner California Dino 246gts finished in Rosso Corsa Red with an all new factory correct tan interior.featuring the Daytona style seats!!With less than 1200 miles on its completely rebuilt V6 engine thats recieved a platinum, level detail its mated with a rare NOS factory transaxle..This Dino runs and drives like a new car and the A/C blows ice cold!! Cosmetic wise the paint is older but still well detailed and looks quite impressive!! This car is ready for the road as well as Ferrari club events and is an excellent example for those that want a Dino 246GTS to actually drive and enjoy!While we do have several of the books & orignal pouch along with a service paper showing that this Dino was originally imported by Modern Classic Motors and sold/serviced by Griswold Company in Berkley Calif.,assuring that this has always been a California Dino!It also points that this car was originally Metalizato Blue,a Topaz color before being painted Rosso Corsa by the the 2nd owner thats owned this car since 1975! Unfortunately the tool roll and jack bag were misplaced over the years but are somewhat easy to replicate.
    one line questions in regard to the reserve will not be answered!thanks for looking and happy bidding!

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    WOW! Looks like a fantastic car.

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    http://ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=FE-246GTS-05496

We are pleased to offer 1973 Ferrari 246 GTS s/n 05496, a former platinum scoring USA model 246 GTS with only 51,352 well–documented miles and a known ownership history from new. Complete with the correct original leather owner’s pouch, the full set of six books plus the ultra–rare warranty card from the selling dealer to the first owner. Also has the full tools set and tool roll and the jack, jack bag and lug wrench. Even has the original Becker Europa stereo. Only six owners from new and with one owner from 1979 to 2002, so 23 years. New in Marrone Dino metallizzato with tan leather seats and power windows. Still in Marrone Dino metallizzato with tan leather today. Best in show and a platinum award at the Limerock FCA meet 2000. Very nicely detailed older “platinum level” paint and body fit, with all rubber, trim and controls nicely detailed. Near new tan leather “Daytona” seats, door panels and carpets. Recent mechanical service, new clutch and cable, paint detailed and touched up. With fresh detail work and a thorough detail of the engine compartment this Dino could again grace the lawns of next year’s concours circuit.

This 246 GTS offers everything the Ferrari owner could want: full books, warranty card and tools, the fun of topless motoring, the soft and sensual lines of the Dino and the sounds of the well–proven, low maintenance and high–revving V6 that makes every trip to the grocery store sound like a qualifying lap at Sebring. Mechanically maintained, this Ferrari is in excellent condition, with everything working as it should. A cosmetically and mechanically superb Ferrari that could easily be platinum again, priced right at $189,500.

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #131 synchro, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    Flares & Chairs Dino for $230k

http://ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=FE-246GTS-06452

We are pleased to offer 1973 Dino (Ferrari) 246 GTS s/n 06452. A USA model “Chairs and Flares” Dino from new with the Factory fender flares and Daytona seats, finished off with the wider Factory-fitted Campagnolo wheels complete to the correct Campagnolo spare wheel. From new in greater L.A. and in L.A. its entire life. One-family owned from 1974 to 2004, so thirty years and now with only the second owner. Only 36,671 miles. Just refinished in show quality Giallo (Fly yellow) with a complete strip to bare metal over a no-damage and no-rust body. Photo documentation available. All-new tan leather interior, dash and carpets. New “mouse-fur” on the dash. Chrome trim replated. Brake calipers rebuilt with new soft lines and pads, new shocks and shock bushings, new water hoses and suspension bushings, new lid supports, door and window seals all replaced. Pulls strong to redline with very good syncros that go into both 1st and 2nd gear cold without a problem! 246 GTS s/n 06452 is fitted with very attractive headlight covers and is equipped with A/C, P/W and has the original top cover used to cover the targa top when stowed behind the seats.

Mechanically maintained and detailed, this Dino is in excellent mechanical condition and needs nothing. A “time capsule” Ferrari with excellent syncros, a strong engine, and everything working as it should. This Dino has just finished what could easily become a platinum quality restoration. Complete with the leather pouch, warranty card, owner’s manual and parts book, complete tool set, tool roll, jack and jack kit. 246 GTS s/n 06452 is a better–than–new 246 GTS with a known ownership back to the selling dealer. We welcome any mechanical or body inspection. Priced right and seriously for sale at $229,500.

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This Dino went to "SOLD" status today

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Looks to me like it has Cromodora wheels not Campagnolos, 4 bladed radiator fans from 308 series, and it is a rare GT with A/C

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=FE-246GT-05522

We are pleased to offer 1973 Ferrari 246 GT s/n 05522, a well-documented USA model 246 GT with only 46,220 total miles from new, a mere 1,000 miles a year. New in Ferrari red with black leather, A/C, P/W and Campagnolo wheels. Known ownership from new and in the Los Angeles area its entire life. Restored between 2000 and 2006 with a full engine and gearbox rebuild and a complete strip and paint. Comes with all service records and full documentation of the restoration work. Nicely sorted. Fitted with headlight covers from new.

This Ferrari Dino is in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition. Excellent body and panel fit. Excellent syncros, a strong engine, and everything working as it should. Light and nimble, the Ferrari Dino is one of the gold standards of the 1970s Enzo-era Ferraris. A joy to drive with all the right sounds, every trip to the corner store is like a warm up lap for Sebring. 246 GT s/n 05522 is equipped with air and power windows that work. A cosmetically and mechanically superb Ferrari with both owner’s handbooks. A great looking and driving Dino coupe that is priced right at $149,500.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    ^Has Euro corner lights. Description says Daytona seats, but they don't look it to me (a non-expert).

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Interesting it has a USA engine but euro body.

And Pininfarina badges both sides.

What a lovely, lovely car.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #136 Jack-the-lad, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
    USA front turn signals, though, right? Maybe when the car was repainted they replaced the corner marker lights with Euros....a big improvement if you don't care about originality. (Still talking about the Sheehan car, I assume).

12. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Yes, USA front signals but Euro side and rear lenses.

I suspect you are correct. I'm surprised they would not convert the front signals as well.

13. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It is amusing to note that the giallo car, which had a bare-metal respray, brand new interior, including mouse hair, newly plated chrome, new bushes, seals, everything, is described as a "time-capsule" car. It must be a very attractive car though.

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #139 synchro, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    33,869 miles.

Dark Blue with tan.
    Looks like it has A/C, side-by-side windshield wipers, USA bumpers and marker lights, the modern repro of Campagnolo wheels, and Daytona seats which are very flat from the inserts to the seat face leather.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250746859707

Equipment & Options: Air conditioning, electric antenna, AM/FM Blaupunk radio with built in tape cassette. Tan leather upholstery with Daytona seat panels. (Seat panels are tan leather with black ribbing). The carpeting is caramel color and a tan cover is also included. It has a blue sera metallic paint finish with a black targa removable top. All the original tools, handbooks, and tire jack are included. Service record, purchase documents, and restoration records are also included.

I am the third owner of this magnificent car. The car has always been garaged, serviced every year, and well maintained. This had been a fair weather car driven primarily for pleasure. If has been driven approximately 1000 miles per year since the date of purchase.

The car has been serviced by Algar Ferrari in Pennsylvania and Paul Cline, an authorized Ferrari Mechanic who worked for Porsche, Audi, Ferrari and Auto Assets in Columbus Ohio. The car has always run very well and has had primarily preventative maintenance. Service costs have been minimal for a car of this make.

The original paint started to fail approximately five years ago with spider cracks, which is common for Italian paintwork of this era. Since then, the engine and all the interior components were removed for new paintwork and the car was totally restored to factory original condition. At the time of restoration the car was in very good condition, the paint and leather were looking tired simply due to time.

The restoration included the following:
    A complete disassembly of the vehicle was performed and it was chemically stripped of the original paint. There was a complete replacement and rework of the suspension, shocks, and brake calipers. The engine was removed and completely serviced and detailed throughout. The water pump was replaced and the carburetors were service accordingly. All the running gears were refurbished. Mechanically, the car was restored to factory original condition.

The car was completely refinished to factory original regarding paintwork, door seals, and rubber that were not in good condition. All five wheels have been completely restored to original finish, with new tires and a new battery.

The interior was completely recovered with a new dash cover, seats, console, and bulkhead to factory original.
    Paint & Body Work: $11,743.00
    Mechanical: $13,223.00
    Interior, Wheels, Other: $ 6,620.00
    Total Restoration Cost: $31,886.00

The restoration was completed in March of 2003. The car was restored to factory original condition and has had zero miles since the completion of the restoration. All the records of original purchase, restoration, and service are contained in the service records book.

I have totally enjoyed this car over the past 28 years, but I’ve realized that I’m not driving the car as much as it should be driven. It is time to pass the car onto someone who will enjoy the pleasure of owning and driving this beautiful car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. frankalfa

frankalfa Rookie

May 1, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Looking for anyone that may be familiar with the 73 GTS, # 06306, currently listed on ebay. Looks to be in nice shape - I've been lurking/looking for one like this.
    Cheers - Frank

16. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    Looks like a nice car from the pictures, seller advertised it at 175k which I guess is inline for a restored GTS. Only thing is if this car has "zero miles since restoration" and was restored in 2003, it may require some work to get it into driveable condition.

17. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Looks great, pretty color!

18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Where was it advertised?

20. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    the seller says in the ad that he is not driving it as much as it should be driven.
    Yes, I would say that zero is a pretty low number. :)

Is $32K the expected tab for a complete restoration?
    I would have thought it would be more than that

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agreed, that sounds low. Probably not talking bare metal, etc., for that kind of money.

But maybe it didn't need a full restoration...

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Bullfighter has nailed it. I'm sure you'll want to look at the receipts to qualify the definition the interpretation of restoration. Once you get into these cars, strip all paint off, you're bound to be surprised with rust and issues you couldn't see. That makes OMGjon's restoration & preservation threads shine a bit brighter, doesn't it?

23. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    +1 A top notch paint job can cost $32k

24. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    can there be such a thing as spending too much on a paint job?
    is the factor of diminishing return valid here?

25. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think that's true for everything.
    I suppose it might depend on how much of the expense was rust repair vs making every possible hidden cranny totally perfect. The former is structural while the latter would only be for personal pleasure or for trophies.