Dino 246GT left rear quarter panel

Discussion in '206/246' started by Vintage Veloce, Aug 6, 2018.

1. FerrariChat Miami - Earlybird $ ENDS August 24th at 5pm. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrarichat-miami-earlybird-ends-august-24th-5pm.582547/ Everything with the event is confirmed and all deposits paid. We already have a double digit number of cars entered including 430 to 488's and 599 to 812's sprinkling in some Californias and classics like 328's. Yes, we have Lamborghinis and McLarens too. We're staying at the Ritz Carlton - Key Biscayne on the beach with events at Homestead Race Track, Miami Design District, The Deck, and Curtiss Mansion.
  1. Vintage Veloce

Feb 22, 2015
    Many years ago, probably in the early 1990s, I bought a Dino 246GT quarter panel at the Concorso Italiano. The guy claimed he had a whole rear end that he used to repair a crashed Dino, and this was leftover.
    For me, it was art. My girlfriend welded a frame for it so it wasn't so wobbly and I sprayed the inside flat black. I wire brushed the outside to remove all the original primer.

And since then, it has been a piece of art for me that I have hung in 3 different homes.
    Now, we have moved into a smaller home and there is no room in the house for it. And so I just hung it in the garage.

It currently has some surface rust, that enhances the look for me, but I may brush it off and oil it. I'm not sure.
    I definitely will NOT paint it, I personally think that spoils the "art' look.

I could also imagine selling it to someone who really needed it, like if they had a badly damaged left rear quarter on their car.

What do you guys think? Keep it "as is"? Wire brush it and oil it again? eBay it? (I don't think I can get myself to do that.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TonyL

TonyL Formula 3

Sep 27, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    cool.........hang it on the ceiling above your bed

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Exeter and Cirencester
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks good as it is and, in artistic terms, it is a nod to Ferrari's habit of leaving Dino (and Daytona) bodies outside to collect a bit of rust before they built the cars!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Vintage Veloce

Feb 22, 2015
    Bluebottle, what a fantastic picture! I'm tempted to frame that and put it near the fender!
    Can you suggest where I could get a full resolution version of that shot?

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    That photo was originally taken by Ed Niles. He is here on F-Chat under the same user name. You may try contacting him if you want a better version of the pic.

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Exeter and Cirencester
    Full Name:
    John
    Good idea! I haven't a clue, but it looks as though you have your answer now anyway.