Dino 246GT: Wiring a radio to the ignition switch terminals | FerrariChat

Dino 246GT: Wiring a radio to the ignition switch terminals

Discussion in '206/246' started by ccferrari, Dec 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ccferrari

ccferrari Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Hello FerrariChat Folks,

I am in need of a little help or pointers.

I'm trying to connect a period correct radio into a 1972 246GT Dino and have a question about electrical connections.

1. I know where the power (+) wire is on the ignition switch but connecting the radio power (+) wire to this same wire will keep the radio on at all times. Does anyone know which connecter/terminal is on the ignition on/off side so when I turn the ignition "off" the radio turns "off" also?
    2. Should I use the same ground (-) on the ignition switch to connect to the radio also? Or, can I just use chassis ground (-)?
    3. Does anyone know if the power antenna should be connected to the same location?

If this subject has been covered numerous times, my apologies in advance. Thank you for your kind help.

All the best!
    ccferrari

2. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    1. Terminal 15 on the ignition lock only carries power in the ignition on position. Connecting the radio to battery plus (ignition lock terminal 30) allows you to also listen to the radio when the ignition is off, which might be preferable (if you don't forget it when you leave the car).
    2. A good ground connection to the chassis is fine
    3. Some radios feature an output terminal to activate the power antenna only if the radio is switched on, that would be preferred but i doubt that a classic Becker or Blaupunkt already had this. You could have the radio easily modified to control the power antenna by just adding a relay to the internal power on circuit.

3. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #3 alhbln, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    p.s. In the installation chart the radio is wired to the battery and the power antenna is operated by a two way switch. According to the chart there should already be a grey wire (battery plus) fitted for the radio installation.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ccferrari

ccferrari Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    #4 ccferrari, Dec 24, 2012
    Hello alhbln,
    Thank you very much for your comments and the diagram. It truly helped out a lot. From this, I went ahead and put a volt meter to the various key switch terminals and created a table of my findings, see attached picture(s).

I attached the radio to terminal "g" so that it could be played in key Position 1, accessories only, Postion 2, when the ignition is on, but not Position 0, so I wouldn't accidentally drain the battery by forgetting to turn the radio off.

The radio works perfectly with the various key positions. Now all I need to do is figure out the retractable antenna.

Thank you again for all the help alnbln!

All the best!
    ccferrari

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The Becker Europa has a switched 12V output off the amp. The Hirschman antenna has a two wire control that requires polarity change to raise/lower.

Is it possible to use the amp's switched output to raise/lower the antenna without using a dash switch (I don't have the original switch).

Thank you

7. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #7 alhbln, Sep 28, 2014
    Scott,

for controlling a polarity change driven antenna you need to add a "DPDT" changeover relay. When switched off, the relay feeds the two antenna wires with the supply for lowering, and changes the polarity of the supply for raising the antenna when it receives power from your Becker Europa antenna output socket.

I've attached the Hirschmann AUTO 5091 (should be similar to your antenna) installation document including the wiring instructions below.

DPDT relay example (you can omit the mounting socket in the product image and directly connect the wires to the relay terminals):
    Amazon.com: 12V DC Coil Power Relay DPDT LY2NJ HH62P-L JQX-13F 10A With PTF08A Socket Base: Home Improvement

It is slightly less confusing than it looks like :)

good luck,
    Adrian

8. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #8 alhbln, Sep 29, 2014
    Scott, i only just noticed that the wiring diagram in the installation sheet makes no sense (go figure). Have attached a drawing of the correct relay wiring below.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #9 synchro, Apr 14, 2015
    That did it, Thank you once again.

BTW, this was a 3 terminal reversing, auto shutoff antenna.
    For ease of working I moved the Becker remote amp and antenna DPDT relay to the forward compartment.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Update: For USA cars with a manual antenna momentary Up/Down dash switch, this switch has two outputs, both 12V for Up and Down. In this case use two DPDT's with reversed outputs only active on the high side.