Dino 308 GT4 | FerrariChat

Dino 308 GT4

Discussion in '308/328' started by Patrick Mitchelli, Jan 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patrick Mitchelli

Jan 15, 2020
    Tampa Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Mitchelli
    OK

Just purchased a Dino 308 GT4 I found rotting in a guys back yard in Georgia..

Guy took well care of it till he went bankrupt.
    Got the engine out for an overhaul along with tranny..

Could use "any" information that you feel would help me out int this Restoration..

Thanks

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Congrats, this list could be enormous :)

Depends on how far you are going to dive into it. Fundamentally its not much different to any old car project though.

If you are planning to disassemble the motor then getting the heads off might be a challenge. There are threads on FChat about doing it, designs for puller plates etc.

If you are taking the heads off then if the valves are original then they are Sodium filled on the exhaust side & want to be replaced. If you are not then some would say leave well alone. DYOR

Unless you know its not working or has a lot of miles on it I wouldn't worry about the Transmission too much in the first instance.

3. Patrick Mitchelli

Jan 15, 2020
    Tampa Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Mitchelli
    Well .. you are right the heads were a challenge. The mechanic did devise a steel plate puller that worked..
    I was going to have him go through the tranny since now seems like the time..
    The mileage is in the high 80's ...

Appreciate the feedback...

4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    This is really a “how long is a piece of string” question. Some pictures of the current state of the car might elicit more comments on what to address and some comment on what standard you want the car to be at when you are done. If you want to see the top end of GT4 restorations check out the work of Simply Ferrari.

My car is already a non-standard color and was a track day toy at one point in its life so I was happy to aim for a well presented driver-quality car with rebuilt mechanicals.

My approach is to go through fuel system from tank to carbs, replacing/cleaning all in between. Same for brakes - fluid reservoir to calipers. All rubber components replaced - hoses and bushings. Clean and paint engine bay while engine is out. Shifter bushings, hoses in rocker panels, control cables replaced. All electrical grounds cleaned along with loom and all electrical connectors. Interior removed, cleaned and redyed. I have a thread covering progress on my project.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There are probably numerous threads by folk in the same position as you over the years plus many other associated threads linked in the technical threads sticky so its worth spending some time just looking around this section to see the extent of the resources already available to you

6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Pictures? What part of Georgia? Are you here too?

steve

7. Patrick Mitchelli

Jan 15, 2020
    Tampa Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Mitchelli
    Thanks...I'll check out that Simply Ferrari site and try to figure out how to post a few pics

8. Patrick Mitchelli

Jan 15, 2020
    Tampa Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Mitchelli
    Thank-You

9. Patrick Mitchelli

Jan 15, 2020
    Tampa Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Mitchelli
  10. Patrick Mitchelli

Jan 15, 2020
    Tampa Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Mitchelli

11. Patrick Mitchelli

Jan 15, 2020
    Tampa Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Mitchelli
    I bought it in Georgia but transferred it to Tampa where I live...

I will put some pics up

Thanks

steved033 likes this.
  12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'm not hunting hard enough then.

sjd