Dino auctions at Scottsdale 2018 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino auctions at Scottsdale 2018

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Jan 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

From the photos, it seemed like the only thing that was a little off was the left side AC control knob. Otherwise, car looked just about perfect. What did you lose the other point or semi-points for, other than for "over restoration"? Further, what did "over restoration" specifically mean in your case?

Also, I noticed that your Dino appeared to have custom floor mats with blue Dino script. Were those just laid on top of original style carpets? And, if you don't mind telling us, who did the blue Dino script embroidery? I'd like to have a set made for my Dino!

2. dinofan

dinofan Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    Texas

We discovered late that we had a hood alignment issue and we were out of time to fix it before we loaded the car to head to Palm Beach. The second item was the black foam that mounts to the firewall at the top on the aluminum heat shield. We did not think it was on the original cars so had to add it.
    We had extra carpet so we made the Floor matts.

3. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
  4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Definitely has patina

5. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
  6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  7. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
  8. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I saw the 206 yesterday at Symbolic. I'm helping with a few impossible to get items. It looks a little rough buy really overall its a decent 206 and they are getting harder to find. As far as my old Dino I restored it a number of years ago for a friend in New York. He drove it for awhile and sold it for $420. I don't know the history after the first sale. It was a nice car back then with books, tools, jack etc. He first wanted euro look and then sent it back to put all the USA stuff back on. Somebody got a good deal on that. I recently sold the Azzuro Metallizato GTS 1972 model for $430.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  9. 9650max

9650max Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2011
    Don't forget the commission that the seller pays. Makes a wide spread when you subtract eight to ten percent from the hammer price.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Seller commissions are negotiable and not freely disclosed, they can be anywhere from zero to 10 %

LARRYH likes this.
  11. 9650max

9650max Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2011
    Barrett-Jackson charges eight percent on no reserve cars and also a fee(hundreds of dollars) for your spot based on the time and day. I don't know how flexible they are. Almost all are no reserve but they offer reserve on expensive cars. When they switched to mostly no reserve years ago it made the auction more exciting and picked up the pace, not to mention the bottom line. They don't seem to have a shortage of cars or bidders. No experience with any other auctions but I think no reserve is less than reserve. That is the incentive to use no reserve.

12. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

I've sold 8 cars through the years with Barrett Jackson

You pay $1500 for your spot in the auction

It is all no reserve

with a few exceptions - if your car has an agreed "realistic" value of 500k or more they will let you put a reserve on the car but they dictate what "realistic" is

The buyers pay 10%

The sellers pay 8%

there is NO wiggle or negotiation on those fees

when it is all no reserve - they don't need to renegotiate the commissions

each car on average gets 3 minutes on the block

They have no shortage of entries - its very competitive for the prime time spots - which are Friday 4-8 and Saturday 4-8

Although - all day Saturday is "Super Saturday" and they start hitting 200k with cars at 2 PM

It's genius - what they've done is genius

Think about it - they get 18% of every sale - every 3 minutes

They don't care if it hammers at 100k or 60k - they are making 18k or 10.8k - guaranteed

When you apply for the auction - they look over your car and what you tell them it's worth

If they accept you - they tell you what they think the car is worth and based on that they offer you a run time

If you don't like the number (you have to do your own math and checking of past auctions to figure to when that number will run) - you can pull the car and turn down the run time

They tell you the day and an approximate time - but those times move around as they have charity cars that take a long time on the block

So it can be dicey - they are managing the overall time of the auction to make sure the really big cars are hitting the block when the biggest wallets are ready to bid

I have seen cars get a quick hammer to speed up the run

There have been lawsuits - I think BJ has settled a few of them - I have also seen them rerun cars at an auction

It's gambling - but I can tell you that when they tell me what my car is gonna sell for

They have never been far off

and often times have been right on the number

Remember the auction caller knows what the estimate is - once they get it - they tend to move on to the next car

It's an intense energy in that room

because unlike reserve auctions

every car is selling the second it hits the block

13. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    my chevelle hammered at 195K - so they list the sale price as 214,500 which includes the buyer's commission

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I didn't see any Dino's at Barrett Jackson this year.

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Very rough .....price is high for what it is

16. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

no - i never see them there

but there was a very nice

355 vert - gated

red/tan

low low mile

hammered for 92K

i love those cars - honestly - its my second favorite body after the

dino

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I like 355's as well. I did see a Dino coupe but it was part of a preview or display of some sort.

18. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

yes - i did see that 72 - red Dino - preview for palm beach florida auction

seems like and odd choice to sell that car at that auction

but who knows?

let's see what happens

19. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    just got my Barrett Auction catalogue

for Palm Beach

that red DINO

is on one of the first few pages of the book

so curious to see what they get for it ...

20. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I agree, wrong venue but will be interesting. I’ve watched things pretty closely and disagree with people who say Dinos are on the way down. Maybe they’re off the 2015 highs, but the sales and auction results I’ve seen say the Dino is very stable and holding.