Dino Bonnet, Engine, Trunk compartment rain gutter - black accent trim | FerrariChat

Dino Bonnet, Engine, Trunk compartment rain gutter - black accent trim

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Jun 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Scott,
    Here is my GT #04054 in it's original factory finished state (before restoration). The photo's are not brilliant quality I'm afraid but do show the black painted shut line areas. The horizontal rear slam panel was painted - the edging seal along the top is missing in the photo so you can see where the black paint has worn off the lip it fits onto. The satin black paint line finishes around 5mm (very approximate measurement as each car was hand masked up I suspect in the factory) from the edge of each panel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    If you're referring to the channels for each lid (front, engine, trunk), note that for L and M series, those channels should be body color, not black.

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Early E series cars also did not feature the black shut line areas either Ron.

5. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Of course now someone will be asking `until what chassis # for E-series'...

6. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I had a discussion with Matthias on this a few years ago and as ever with the factory, in those less than regimented days, there is no definitive proof of when the black shut lines were introduced but we deduced it possibly occurred around early 1972. Just to muddy the waters even further it was apparent that not all cars received this paint after this date either. Matthias had personally seen #05372 for example ( a December '72 Italian market GT) which was still in it's original factory paint yet did not have the blacking lines. The same was true of #05596 (a January '73 UK market GT) that was a barn find car that was auctioned here a few years ago in it's orioginal and very badly corroded state.