dino charging problem | Page 4 | FerrariChat

dino charging problem

Discussion in '206/246' started by dwilliams, Dec 31, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Solly - hope you aren't a neurologist specializing in cognition ... Jim S. wrote the last post.

Jim S.

2. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Solly,
    Go to page 3 of this thread and read the whole thing. Maybe even start at page 1. Page 3 shows how brushes were removed with alternator still trapped. The whole thread has lots of good advise scattered throughout. Your best friend in this kind of trouble shooting is your multimeter. You must have good brushes to charge which means Low resistance to ground when you check from brush wire to ground with the brush wire disconnected from the regulator. The other way of checking is just putting a voltmeter from the brush lead to ground and measuring voltage. Should be proportional to charging current. If voltage is high with engine at 3000 and no charging current then something is wrong. Probably brushes. Search will turn up many other threads on the subject. Good luck.
    John

3. dwilliams

dwilliams Karting

Jan 20, 2005
    Altadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis E. Williams
    Solly:

That is exactly what I did as my Dino is an early US car and I couldn't remove the alternator without taking out my right gas tank. I simply manuevered the alternator where I could remove the brush cover and brushes. After the cleaning and reinstalling (and sealing from further oil dripping from the chain tensioners), it still runs great.

Like John said, the early pages go through everything I did in detail.

Dennis