Dino Competizione is ready to Come Home | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Dino Competizione is ready to Come Home

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Nov 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Great interview.

Apparently Aldo Bravarone designed Comptizione's sister Dino Berlinetta Speciale #0840 at PF. Do you know who penned Competizione? And do you know the whereabouts/condition of Speciale?

Thanks,

-F

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    http://www.madle.org/epmdino.htm

I think Speciale is resting in the Le Mans museum.

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  4. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    #79 richardowen, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    2006 Retromobile
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #80 Napolis, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
    "In an attempt to win the approval and support of Ferrari, the Imola Council agreed to name the circuit after Enzo Ferrari's son Dino, who had died of leukemia in 1956."

Muscular dystrophy in an of itself is not fatal. In extreme cases it can eventually cause heart and lung failure but Enzo clearly spoke of his pain that he couldn't adjust the blood chemistry of his son like he could the mixture of his racing engines and the pain he felt when that chemistry deteriorated to the point of destroying Dino's liver. Enzo eloquently speaks about this in autobiography "My Life of Terrible Joys"

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Jim,

You're of course right about muscular dystrophy, in the same way AIDS patients don't actually die of AIDS but some minor thing affecting their deteriorated bodies. I'm not sure it's wrong to say they died of AIDS, though.

Interesting re: leukemia and liver failure. I wonder if it is a case of mis-translation, because that is certainly not the most commonly told story? For instance, in Doug Nye's book, "Dino, the Little Ferrari," he writes - "But Dino Ferrari had been fighting a lingering and losing battle against muscular dystrophy, and that winter what in health would have been only a minor secondary infection brough on nephritis - a kidney disease - and Dino Ferrari fell into chronic renal failure."

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Enzo's words are very clear regarding the Blood and Urine chemistry that caused Dino's liver failure which led to kidney failure and are those of chronic granulocytic leukemia.

Dino had Muscular Dystrophy but he didn't die from it as the Imola statement states.

"In an attempt to win the approval and support of Ferrari, the Imola Council agreed to name the circuit after Enzo Ferrari's son Dino, who had died of leukemia in 1956."

8. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    #83 zjpj, Feb 27, 2009
    Interesting.

Ferrari itself says MD (see below)

It seems there are differing views.

Hope all is well,
    Z
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The reason is likely that Leukemia/Cancer had a bit of a stigma and was less understood in the 50's whereas Muscular Dystrophy less so. The bottom line is that Muscular Dystrophy doesn't cause the blood chemistry Enzo described nor does it cause death by Liver/Kidney Failure. Dino didn't die of Heart/Lung Muscle failure which is what Muscular Dystrophy sometimes does cause. He died of Liver/Kidney Failure.

The Imola Council got the cause of death correct. Leukemia.

10. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #85 Bryanp, Feb 27, 2009
  11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great Photo!

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That IS a great photo....the whole gang.......

13. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    A truly great photo! Everytime I see a 246 Dino I cant help but appreciate what Dino contributed to making Ferrari the legend it is today.

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #89 italiafan, Feb 27, 2009
    While I don't know the particulars of Dino's case, only what I have seen written in biographies...I think Leukemia is extremely unlikely.

Acute Leukemia, which would be the variety a young person would get (not a chronic leukemia-CML-which is seen in the elderly) has a life expectancy on the order of weeks, especially in those days; death usually being secondary to infection, or bleeding complication.

Kidney and liver failure could have many causes, and certainly can be seen in MD which is a lethal condition. On average patients with Duchenne MD (I suspect that this was the subtype) are in a wheelchair by their early teens and often pass away by late teens or early to mid twenties, just as Dino's case progressed. The cause of death usually being respiratory failure or cardiomyopathy. A cardiomyopathy can certainly cause renal failure by nature of a decreased cardiac output, and liver dysfunction by passive congestion of pressure back into the liver (upstream and downstream effects froma failing pump). There are of course numerous other possibilities.

I doubt leukemia carried more of a stigma than MD, which is clearly more difficult to watch--a slow death from declining strength and vitality.

Hope this helps.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #90 Napolis, Feb 27, 2009
    The Imola statement clearly states "Leukemia". It could be wrong but that's what it and others state.

http://grandprix.com/gpe/cir-026.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=VZTggZhE8PkC&pg=PA215&lpg=PA215&dq=dino+ferrari+leukemia&source=bl&ots=rrKTUtUA1W&sig=B-FWWk5wv-e4fvIGKJ-0SJR9aqk&hl=en&ei=iVKoSbWKAse_tgf3s6jbDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result

http://www.gpro.se/TrackDetails.asp?id=3

http://foxsports.foxnews.com/nascar/story/5502996/FOX-Watch:-Weekend-racing-guide

In "My Life OF Terrible Joys" Enzo clearly referred to changes in Blood Chemistry as the cause of Dino's liver failure and death.

Would MD cause changes in Blood Chemistry leading to liver failure?

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Technically speaking leukemia doesn't cause changes in "blood chemistries" any more so than MD can, or other ailments.
    Leukemia has to do with white blood cells and certainly can affect reb blood cells and platelets...all of which are produced in the bone marrow.
    Chemistries will be abnormal in nearly all end-of-life scenarios, almost regardless of the cause.
    I suspect Enzo was speaking metaphorically as an "engineer" how he wished he could have made Dino's body run better by altering mixtures, balances, etc.

All you need is one misconception and then the "sources" all quote the same misinformation.

I wasn't there....all I am saying is that "Leukemia" doesn't fit with the clinical scenario, and MD certainly is a lethal disease of young adults.

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The sources I cited could have it wrong. Wouldn't be the first time Fox News was wrong about something. That said that's what they say.

18. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Leukemia is a horrible thing, had quite a few family member die from it. I always thought that Dino had MD.

19. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I suspect there was a little lost in translation.

It'd be easy enough to translate the general Italian "deadly blood disorder" as specific English "leukemia" without realizing the difference.

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #95 Napolis, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    You very well may be right. Zach had the same thought about mistranslated on the Imola web sites.

21. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    It's strange that Hawthorn is in that photo with De Portago, Fangio, Castellotti and Collins, looking like one of the boys..........because he was driving for Vanwall at that GP (although he'd signed for BRM, who weren't there). The fifth works Ferrari driver was Gendebien.

In the 12-hour sportscar race the day before, Hawthorn was driving for Jaguar, and Ferrari weren't entered.

Paul M

22. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #97 Bryanp, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    I'm certainly no authority on this, but my impression is that there was more of a brotherhood between the drivers back then - to a large extent, their very lives depended on the good driving of the guy next to them in a race even though they were fierce competitors. I don't think they were as "walled-off" from each other by team affiliation as they are now. You will never see a scene like the photo above - drivers from different teams socially mingling on the grid before a race - before a modern day Formula 1 race. Hell, I think Ascari was actually driving for Lancia, when he stopped by Monza to see Castellotti testing a Ferrari; he jumped in and was dead a couple of laps later, driving a works car of a competing team! Imagine Hamilton stopping by Fiorano for a couple of hot laps!

sorry for the off-topic - back to the fabulous Dino Competizione . . . there was a question earlier in this thread re: who at Pininfarina penned this car; was it Aldo Brovarone?

23. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    No, it was Paolo Martin. See the website below as posted by Jim.

http://www.madle.org/epmdino.htm

Interestingly, for such a swoopy, curved shape, he went on to design rather angular shapes. I imagine Brovarone had some influence in design. See below:

http://www.studiotorino.com/en/auto/spyder/brovarone.htm

-F

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Those were better days in many ways.

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner