Dino Coupe Chairs And Flares *07520* At Scottsdale | FerrariChat

Dino Coupe Chairs And Flares *07520* At Scottsdale

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Dec 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #1 4CamGT, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az19/arizona/lots/r0035-1973-ferrari-dino-246-gt-chairs-flares-by-scaglietti/725205

This will be interesting to watch. Definitely a rare and desirable Euro Spec Dino. Description talks about it having an accident in the 1980’s. If you look at the side view you can see the front wheel isn’t centered in the wheel arch. Maybe the wheel is just turned a bit? The rear wheel arch looks wonky and wrong. The front end sheet metal has some issues and doesn’t look aligned and the horizontal feature line above the bumper should go uninterrupted seemlessly above the grille opening with the grille just kissing it. Books and manual pouch look like reproductions. Reproduction Campys? Wouldn’t they have “Dino” cast into them? This is only my opinion from my eye.

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I bought that car years ago as a parts car and later sold it off. Given what it looked like when I had it, it looks great now. I was in contact a little with the owner during its restoration and he seemed to be doing a first rate job with a good company to get it right. Great color and very nice photos!

Smiles likes this.
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    LARRYH likes this.
  4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Lots of nice detail and great colors. Shows a page of the Classische Red Book and confirms it was changed from its originally Blu Dino Metallizzato/Beige 430. The auction description mentions the engine number but doesn’t confirm it’s a matching numbers example. Did it have its original motor and gearbox during your ownership? It would be of value and interest to see more pages of the Red Book.

The black waterline on the front apron isn’t doing it any favors by ski jumping upwards. This contributes to something visually not aligned on the front. Should be level.

Being one of five Chairs & Flairs Euro Dino Coupés as described by the auction text and possibly the last one would make this truly rare and valuable.

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    No engine/gearbox when I had it. I bought it from Tim Stamford for $1,100 and towed it home. I think he must have pulled the engine/gearbox. I still have a few stamped panels and door shell from that car.

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #6 4CamGT, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    $1100! It would be interesting to know what was damaged in the accident. This will be an interesting auction in that the bidders will be judging how much they would pay for a Dino with this special provenance but with questions about matching numbers, quality of restoration etc. Hopefully someone tracks down its original drivetrain. Maybe Tim Stanford still has it? By looking at the photos, it looks like a fresh restoration and not driven by looking at the red exhaust tips. I’d love to hear opinions/debate from others on this board about this car.

Also comparing/debating a Dino like this vs the BaT Dino and the RM/Peterson Dino.

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    freeman
    it is my understanding that not all Campy's had the dino logo on them, mine don't. they also look original to me as the inner hub has a sand cast finish in line with originals, they sort of fall in between repro and original as the ribs look smooth when compared to an original set.
    The tool kit is repro by yours truly :)
    Looks a nice car as you say but has some fundamental errors, will be interesting to see what it goes for
    Tony

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Thanks Tony. I was looking at the toolkit and thought...this thing looks way too perfect! Kudos to your passion and execution! Looking at the “Campagnolo” font on your set, are they the same? I agree the rim section looks too clean, precise and smooth to be original. These cars are like puzzles. The market will speak on this one.

9. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I saw a few pictures of car before the restoration a few years ago…. there wasn`t a lot left...

375+ likes this.
  10. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a NOS set of the Campy's with the Dino logo and they are rough compared to the new reproductions.

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    thank you for your kind words, it was a hell of an undertaking it consumed 2 years of my time - never to be repeated!

looking at my originals I would say the CAMPAGNOLO font is different on 07520, it is much larger and more bolder than the originals I have. I suspect it was done deliberately if you follow.

I would say they are reproduction, personally I would prefer them over the originals, 1 for cleaning, 2 for safety and 3 to preserve the originals as they cannot be replaced

Kind regards
    Tony
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    And 4, the price difference!

13. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    Now that I have four the original thread about this DINO heading to auction (I started an additional one early this AM) - I would like to offer an opinion.

I think this car will do very well - whoever stored this car - spent a lot of time and a lot of money - I agree that the original color ways might have been a better choice but it presents really well.

As for the "stance" and the centering of the passenger side front wheel in the wheel well - I always look for this with DINOS. When I was shopping for my car I became obsessed with the wheel centering - I found many cars that seemed slightly "advanced" in the wheel well - or slightly behind for that matter - I build custom cars and we spend a lot of time on stance and ride height and wheel size - it really goes a long way towards setting the attitude and impression of a car.

I think that factory original DINOS had somewhat curious body placement in relation ti the wheels - meaning they varied - it wasn't a uniform placement from car to car - that's just a theory from looking at pictures - does anyone have a way better informed opinion.

And looking at the pics again - 07520 looks gorgeous

14. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I don't know about the left front wheel - it looks WAY to far forward - I have a hard time seeing how it could clear the wheel arch without scraping.

15. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

How can anyone tell that that is one of Tony's toolkits?

16. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Now you mention it, I think the right hand one looks a bit forward of the centre of the wheelarch, too (see fifth photo).

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

In all of the side shots it also seems to be riding WAY TOO high.

18. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Also, is the leather pouch for the books one of those "made by us, but on second thought we never made it, except POSSIBLY for testing purposes only" kind of leather Dino pouches?

19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  20. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The chairs cars always seem to look like they are riding too high to me. I think it's because the flare extends straight out instead of sloping down as on a normal Dino. Makes a bigger gap above the top of the wheel. The front wheel opening does seem strange in the picture. Almost like the flare was stretched too far to the rear. Looks like the width of the metal behind the front wheel on Bluebottle's car is wider than on the RM car.

21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I think you may have ""hit the nail on the head" there.

22. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
  23. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I hope I'm wrong but I think they put the front clip on wrong or it wasn't made correctly. Can't believe the shop that did the work would mess up like that.

24. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    The clip looks out of alignment with the rest of the body. Does the original drivetrain still exist?

25. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    07520, from the red certification book re engine:
    (Engine 11753 is out of Dino chassis #07404 that was dismantled by Eurospares in UK.)

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

cnpapa24 likes this.