Dino distributer leak | FerrariChat

Dino distributer leak

Discussion in '206/246' started by zdr, Oct 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zdr

zdr Rookie

Jun 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi - I've had a persistent oil leak from the base of distributer on my Dino I that haven't been able to fix. Replaced gasket at base of distributer and o-ring on shaft but hasn't slowed at all. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I just went through a similar problem. I thought it might be a stud and oil wicking through. That didn't solve it. It turned out to be the distributor base wasn't total square with valve cover. I made a custom gasket, thicker at the top. Totally solved the problem.

3. zdr

zdr Rookie

Jun 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    David
    OK, thanks. I'll take a look at doing that.

4. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Take a thin feeler gauge and see if you can slip it inbetween gasket and distributor anywhere.

5. zdr

zdr Rookie

Jun 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    David
    Will do.

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Steve Magnusson likes this.
  7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Why is there no Dino in your Profile (please give year/model/version)? Does o-ring 32 have to seal the oil pressure inside the camshaft?

8. zdr

zdr Rookie

Jun 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    David
    I updated my profile, hadn't realized it had been so long....
    I've already tried replacing the camshaft oil seal #36 and the o-ring #32 but leak was unchanged after those replacements.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, the time does fly by -- thanks for doing the update.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a cross-section drawing in the 246GT/246GTS WSM of the distributor drive, but based on the similar dog-drive design used on some of the 308, the o-ring #32 seems to be a static sealing situation so I'd definitely use some sealant on that (like a Loctite PST or and an oil-resistant RTV and even put some on the bolt threads holding piece #33 onto the cam). Many modern lip seals are directional and have features in the lip contact area that help "pump" oil back towards the wet side -- might want to make sure you didn't get a directional seal and have it in backwards, or perhaps you could intentionally get an equivalent directional lip seal and install it in the correct orientation to help better retain the oil. You do want to ensure that the surface that the lip seal rides on is more of a non-directional ground finish and not super-polished so using some 600~800 grit sand paper to restore that type of surface finish is no sin IMO. Otherwise, you are left with Jon's suggestion that you just have some sort of mechanical issue (excessive angular misalignment or excessive runout). Please do let us know how you eventually get the problem resolved.

10. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
  11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    You didnt mention the cam seal in your original post!

If oil is getting into the distributor housing (as post 10 photos) then it can only be the o-ring seal or camshaft seal. Putting a thicker gasket will make matters worse imho as it will eventually flood that area with oil and cause you bigger problems.
    If the leak is between that housing and the cylinder head then the gasket is broken (does normally break after a camshaft service if not careful) or the cam cover gasket is broken, incorrectly fitted etc.
    If all OK then you need to look at the dog drive for wear as it will not seal against item 36 (post 10 RH photo)
    Tony

12. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    If leak from rear of aluminium distributor casting…
    Have the counter sunk screws become lose and fowling on the gasket?
    If from the fiber plate to head/cam cover, then as suggested above, fiber plate distorted/damaged?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK