Dino Engine Bay insulation material | FerrariChat

Dino Engine Bay insulation material

Discussion in '206/246' started by yakxx21, Feb 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    I need to replace mine but even after a lot of good write ups on this site it seems nobody has actually found a good replacement...in black colour..

I see Dynamat make some good stuff but seems to be all Ali/silver coated ...I could cover it in a black vinal maybe.....but what type of vinal with withstand the tempurature being a few inches from the exhaust pipes..
    Most vinal seems to be Ok upto 100 deg c (I think ! ) ...so how hot does it get there and will it smell....many questions..

anybody have an up to date solution ....the old one is about half inch thick rubber,,.....no Ali content but some matting I think....

maybe we have to go to a silver look ???

Must be some solution soewhere around the world...

Thoughts please....

2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #2 isuk, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm having one made at present from a black firm grade neoprene foam. It is waterjet cut to a perfect template so will be ready to install without any trimming required. If it works it may be available through Superformance. It should arrive this week so I'll keep you posted.

The attached photo was the prototype which was made from a different material. Version two will be made to the same template but with one small adjustment to make fitment easier.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    A much needed item, thanks for your effort!

If not available through them, would you consider making extras?

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Once I've had mine tested out and confirm it is suitable for use in this area and looks good I will most likely get Colin at Superformance involved in reselling them as he is geared up to take orders, do shipping etc. He has said he's very interested in them but if for any reason he doesn't go ahead I may be able to organise getting a few more made for people who want them.

5. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I don't need one (replaced mine last year when engine was out), but are there differences in shape between the various series that actually used this item?

6. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I'm not sure on different shapes for the panel on L, M and E series cars Ron but it is a valid point worth checking. This pattern was made for an Dec 71 E series car but would fit my my other 1972 E series as well.

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    L- and M-series, compared to E-series, should be at least different where the fuse box sits....

9. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I guess I could accommodate that by not making any of the cutouts on an L/M series version.

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    that would make sence....

11. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    Thats just fantastic...I have a couple of questions....

Probably a daft question but will that rubber withstand the temperatures we have so near the manifold...Im sure you have studied that, so sorry to ask really..

*** More important and as Im really held up looking for such a thing....any chance you could have two made and post me one down here in Portugal....I dont care if its slightly 'out' I can always modify slightly...dont care about cost....but if your not comfortable with that please let me know where I can buy a blank piece si I can attmpt to cut it by hand....thanks very much....

Ken

12. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    From what the supplier tells us and the fact there is a fairly decent heatshield between the manifold and this rubber mat I'm fairly hopeful it will withstand the temperature. I'll know better once it has been tested. If you can bear with me for a week or so I should have a definitive answer.

13. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Iain, Matthias,
    The L-series firewall mat (and presumably 206) are quite different to the later cars due to a different chassis design so the shape of the mat on the bottom and sides are different, in addition to the cut-out mentioned.
    Actually, as I look at your picture Iain, the top is different too and the only thing I see in common are the cutouts where the fuel tank is mounted, and even that is dubious since I can't overlay them to compare.
    You might have more luck with the M-series as I recall the chassis design under the engine is similar.

Would like to hear how the Neoprene outer layer works out Iain...
    Andrew

14. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Also, there is no aluminum panel separating the insulation mat from the engine bay on early cars. I believe that panel started with E-series...as Rob noted in his post #30 of the "Rear Bulkhead heat shield 246 gts" thread referenced by Scott.

15. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    thanks Andrew, maybe you can send Iain a template.....
    the 206 didn`t have any firewall mat, likely to be introduced during L-series production

16. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    Sure hope this is succesful and await your feedback Iain ...and would appreciate if you allow me to double up on the buy....

thanks

17. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Sure, if he wants to make some L-series firewall mats then I can supply a paper template.
    Just email me an address Iain and I'll send it off this week.

18. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I've had quite a few PM's on this so just to clarify I am not going to be having these made then supply them. They are simply too large and difficult to package so if the test version is a success I will let Colin at Superformance decide if he wants to stock them as he is geared up to accept orders, package and ship.

Andrew, thanks for the offer of a template for the L and M series but the market for those is so small that I doubt it will be worthwhile unless the supplier is happy to make a CAD drawing of them and supply Colin on an ad hoc basis.

19. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Iain, not all E-series Dinos had these firewall mats, out of my head only until approx. chassis no. #05000
    Especially for the L-series it would make sence because most of the owners do expensive restorations (collection cars)
    With E-series Dinos you have a lot of "drivers" who don`t care what kind of firewall mats are in there Dinos, many try to improve heat protection... don`t want original mats....

20. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I knew about the revised E series dropping the heat shield mats Matthias. Another cost saving exercise by Ferrari during a model's production run ;)

21. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #21 isuk, Feb 23, 2015
  22. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #22 isuk, Mar 3, 2015
  23. 72Dino246GT(Eur)

Dec 1, 2005
    SFO Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Peter Hollyer
    Has Colin at Superformance decided to stock the "firewall mats"?

24. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I am not sure how much the layout of the 246 differs from the 328 but on the 328, which uses a similar foam material, the only foam which can withstand the temperature of the manifold is silicone foam.

A friend did his in neoprene and it lasted a few months before starting to burn. I did mine with silicone and it is as good as new 2 years later.

As I said, this might not be an issue with the 246.

25. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Not yet as far as I know.