Dino Exhaust | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino Exhaust

Discussion in '206/246' started by mal, May 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    GAry48, did you replace your headers?

What I'm not sure of is whether the European TubiStyle headers will fit directly to the head and dispense with the spacers (originally for the air-injection tubes) on the US cars. I was just told by a dealer of TubiStyle that the European headers will not fit - in addition to flanges, the mounting points are different. Is that correct?

Do the US 1972 models have the plane or the falred flange?

I apologize for all the queries, but I am very new to the Dino. Have a lot to learn.

Andy

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Gary, just to add - I'm inclined to follow your advice, bell the spacers, stick with the US headers, and order just the US TubiStyle silencers. They don't seem to have the "competition" (loud) version, though. Many thanks again.

Andy

3. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Andy sounds like you answered alot of your own questions but the U.S. headers are actually a nice piece done in stainless, good choice. If the competition version is not available the street version sounds very good and is less tiring on the ears on extended runs, but if you want the Basso Profundo keep searching. Try Terry Godbout (208) 765 2886. He procured mine for me. Good searching.

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Pardon my ignorance, but did the E Series 246 come originally with Ansa exhausts? Abarth? Just need to know for my continuing education. Man thanks. Andy

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #30 abstamaria, Jul 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My Tubi Style muffler arrived some time ago, ordered after our helpful discussion above. Tubi got a bit mixed up, so I must have received the European system, which has a longer inlet pipe to the LH side of the muffler. We cut and welded the pipe to fit my 1972 U.S. car, so were able finally to install the muffler. I think this looks very good, if not original in appearance, as you can see in the photos. It has a different sound from the original Ansa and has sounds overlaid over sounds. Quite interesting. Many thanks for the previous advice.

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I'll second that. I'm very happy with the Stebro that was installed about 3 years ago. Definitely louder with some gain in power at the top end.

7. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
  8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Killed it a while ago. Try this link.

[size=+2]CLICK HERE[/size]

9. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    I sent my Dino headers to jet-hot when I restored my car. The black coating looks great, keeps the car a bit cooler and probably ads a few HP.

10. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    I plugged spacers and in the process discovered that there is a front and a back set of 3 each. There is a top and a bottom and an in and an out. The ports in the head were not round. Neither were the holes through the spacers. These oval holes were not aligned with the bolt holes. The out of roundness was about 1/8" and it took a lot of persuasion to convince my mechanic that he should pull all of the spacers and match them up. He had put them in randomly. He understood after I showed him the diference. They want to go back the way they were with the air injectors.

Don't use a hollow plug or leave much of a hole where the injectors went. It will whistle. I found out the hard way. Also make sure that the plugs can't work loose. The temp extremes are major and the spacers are dead soft. Pin the plugs.

The steel header tubing is smaller than the minor diameter of the spacers. There is a sharp edge but not much room to do anything about it. Runs good so I didn't touch headers except for removing all heat shielding.

John

11. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    John C. - I have read both this and previous posts where you observe that the air-injection spacers on the U.S. exhaust are individualized for each port. There is the implication that they are not interchangeable. However, the parts book lists only a single part number, requiring 6 for each car.

I have noted slight variations in the spacers, but after mixing them all up, I was able to simply locate each randomly onto a port. There did not seem to be a significant mismatch in geometry.

My observation.

Jim S.

12. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #37 John Corbani, Jul 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jim,
    Look at pics from Dino Saga 060430. One spacer is shown with a gasket. Gasket hole is round. Spacer is oval. Port in head is oval. My ports may have been matched in the past. car was raced before I got it. All 3 rear spacers are alike, front alike. Air injectors are at diferent angles for each bank. Two separate castings. Stud holes do not line up exactly with oval hole. On my Dino, there is a diference.
    One pic attached.

John