Dino F40 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Dino F40

Discussion in '206/246' started by msdesignltd, May 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The "Monza 333SP" reference you are talking about for those that didn't pick up on it. I set the video to start playing at the point when he says it:

youtu.be/qnt0DNqJYvM?t=466

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Video of Kevin's Dino with 328 engine/gearbox and other mods.

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The above does look actually to have been the case looking at the pics of the engine and comparing it with the engines now in Kevin's and then David Lee's car.

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  5. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Love, love, love the project! Kudos to all involved.

I do think some ,ahem, "creative marketing liberty" has been taken given the owner. F40 block sounds much sexier than a Mondial or 328 block. ;) I do find it a bit comical to say he "created" it. In my world that means you drafted up a vision, got your hands dirty doing the metal work, machining, painting, etc. But I digress...

David is the type of owner who lives for media attention as is easily evidenced by his 24/7 social media presence. He understands how to drive traffic and garner attention in today's Kardashian world. Bear in mind he is also the collector who made a big media stink because Ferrari didn't offer him an Aperta thereby turning lemons into PR lemonade. He might not have wrenched on the car but he is brilliant at marketing it. If that means will see more cool projects like this than it's a win/win.

Makuono likes this.
  6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    David may have stood a better chance of getting a LaF Aperta if he actually knew who Ing. Piero Ferrari is.

Bluebottle likes this.
  7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #107 miurasv, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    The part number for both the 328 and Mondial 3.2 cylinder blocks is 126193. Part number for the F40 block is 132369. Eurospares have a used F40 block in stock at £12,995 GBP + VAT and a used 328/Mondial 3.2 block at £2,662.42 GBP + VAT.

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Which is desperately needed, given the basement-low prices that a Dino goes for these days. /s

BoKu likes this.
  9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #109 4CamGT, Jun 7, 2018
    Yes, I think this is the major point of this journey. Dinos, compared to other classic Ferraris are relatively affordable and offer more emotion and fun. No matter whether you approve of a Ferrari V8 in the Dino or if you build the original 4 cam V6 to its potential or restore to 100% factory original is all of interest to me. Personally I wouldn’t do anything to my Dino to diminish or damage its value for the future. Everything I would do could be bolted on, bolted off. For me, I search for the perfect balance of originality, aesthetics and driving performance. I like that Kevin has taken the basic same approach and philosophy. Even if the body, such as the flairs are applied or you add headlamp covers doesn’t mean a future owner can’t reverse that.

I’ve been in the Porsche world for a long time, co-founded RGRUPPE, been a huge fan of Gary and Rod Emory’s 356 outlaws, love what Singer is doing, love that Ruf is fearless with his New CTR/SCR creations etc. I’ve seen classic Porsche lovers that go to Luftgekühlt, Rennsport Reunions etc get younger and younger and care less about concours correct. I see the Ferrari world with a lot of older more elitist individuals. I love those classic Ferraris as well but I love that the Dino stands out in that crowd, as a classic Ferrari, as the one that a younger audience lusts after. Maybe because it’s somehow within reach? What Kevin is doing helps fuel that and makes ownership more creative, fun and more about driving!

Like Kevin, I took most of my toys apart when I was a child and still do!

Only my POV!
    Freeman

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Hopefully Dinos will remain relatively affordable compared to other classic Ferraris: if they weren't, I would not have been able to own one and it would be a shame if future generations cannot do the same. I do happen to believe, however, that they represent fantastic value for money compared to other classic Ferraris: I suspect that I would not get as much pleasure out of owning one of the more expensive alternatives, as I do from my Dino, even ignoring the price differential.

While I have neither the desire nor the funds to put a V8 into mine, some of Kevin's ideas to make it more user-friendly do have appeal (e.g. his version of the headlamp covers: mine has had them since new and they are a pain in the arse when it comes to washing time!). My car has a number of small variances from original, such as an improved fuel pump, starter motor and ignition system.I didn't fit them myself - they were done by a previous owner (as it happens, quite possibly Kevin's work, when he restored my car), but I am perfectly happy with them, because they make the car easier to use, are relatively unobtrusive, and they could be reversed if some future owner wanted to do so.

One thing I would like to do to mine is to fit aircon. It wouldn't make one iota of difference to the way the car drives, but it would make it a nicer car to drive in summer!

Like you and Kevin, I used to take my toys apart when I was a kid, but I was never very good at putting them back together again! As an adult, I have learned a lesson from that (though it did take a while and a few cars "were harmed in the process"!).

12. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Why the flap over being able to be put back to standard, who in their right mind spends a small fortune upgrading a car to this extent, just so they can potentially make it worth a lot less than they paid out, at some point in the future!

Cars like this will never go back to original, only those with slight mods.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think they said everything on that car is bolt-on and can be put back to stock with ease. The headlight covers and fender flares I'm not sure about, though.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I still don't get it. It's no longer a Dino. It's another car with Dino skin.

15. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    If someone has a heart and lung transplant are they no longer the same person, if the donor was black and the receiver white, does he now become black!

Of course it is a Dino, just a heavily modified one.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #116 TheMayor, Jun 7, 2018
    People are not cars. We aren't talking about changing to a different brake pad here. The heart and soul of any car is the motor.

Would a 250 GTO be a better car with a 1000 hp blown Chevy small block up front?

"Hey it looks the same, goes 0-60 5 seconds faster, is more reliable, and is cheaper to maintain. What's not to love? Don't be such a purist!!!"

This car is not "heavily modified". It's a different car that looks like a Dino.

17. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    In your opinion.......

The chassis is the car not the engine.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I personally love extreme restorations like those. If they did a similar job on my 308, I'd keep it.

19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #119 miurasv, Jun 7, 2018
    I do respect your work, Kevin.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We noticed you didn't say if a 250 GTO with a blown Chevy engine is the same car or not.

It has the same chassis and body. Still the same car is it?

No, it's a different car because its been changed to something "else".

If you want a 355, just buy a 355.

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Interesting, to me anyway, that the left hand cylinder heads (or perhaps just the shells) on 308 QV, 328, Mondial and 348 are all the same. I think the 348 right side may be different only because of the cast engine stabiliser not being present on the cam cover?

Images from Maranello UK Classic Parts web site.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    I'd like to give my opinion about the two modified Dino by Mototechnique. The quality of the work seems remarkable. Modifying (just to try) one or two 246 in this way is acceptable. But launching a series of 25 modified cars reminds me of what has been done with many Daytona converted to Gr4 (just to take this example). We begin with 1 or 2 cars. Then 10 or 15. At the end we have 100 or more. Fantastic cars to drive ? Maybe, but not original. So, if 25 modified cars are sold, why not another bunch of 100 or more ? Sorry to disagree, but I prefer by far what Freeman did on his car. And it's still a 246. Last detail... I hate "Hot-Wheels" rims on a Dino.

23. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    How about a big block ?

https://www.rcnmag.com/garage/big-cubes-in-a-kelmark-gt

24. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Francis, I think each of us, as we own or desire to own a Dino, debate on what we feel is the range of acceptable modifications from 100% original. Even a color change could create some sleepless nights! Personally, I’m so in love with the Dino V6 and it’s potential. BTW, we’re on phase 2 now on the Stratos induction. Simon and I are creating an OEM Style airbox now that we know what works.

Kevin’s original V8 Dino was created out of a rusted car brought back to life. It makes it a lot easier emotionally if the core car is missing its drivetrain or is just a bodyshell. I think these make the perfect Dinos to use.

nis1973 and G. Pepper like this.
  25. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    For me its sacrilege to convert a 246 in this way but it does not devalue the engineering expertise to undertake such work. That requires skill.

For that money I would have built a replica 246 and kept the original as it is, however the dino in my opinion could never take such a modification in power. The driving position is all wrong for starters!.