Dino fan belt... | FerrariChat

Dino fan belt...

Discussion in '206/246' started by yakxx21, May 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    I'm finding it impossible to get the fan belt on my 246 ...(6263). I have the alternator fully pushed towards the engine on the slide clamp thingy....until it hits the bracket but still I cannot get the thing on.....

What am I dong wrong.....

Any tips welcome

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Mine was tight too. I think I took off the water pump pulley, put the fan belt around it and bolted it back on. Gave me enough slack to get the job done.

3. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    I see the supplier has sent me a 6263. Which is 865 length....

Now looking at the original dino parts book it stipulates 875.

However..the old one I took off was also a 6263 ( 865). ....

So I now question the whole thing.....are we all using one too short....is 875 or 865 correct???.

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Try a 7350, it fits ok on my cars (~905mm).
    The 6263 seems short given the manual lists the Continental belt at 875mm and the older Pirelli was 908mm (all outside lengths).

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    SPZ 862

Length is 875mm
    Pitch length is 862mm

6. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    Thanks guys....will get a longer ....the one supplied fromUK source is too short...

7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I had a belt from Superformance on the shelf I bought a while back and just checked its a 6263MC.
    I have my L's engine out of the car so I took off the 7350 and tried to fit it - impossible without removing a pulley and it would be near min adjustment. Haven't they tried to fit these themselves or maybe later models have more adjustment?
    The spec belt is still troublesome to fit and it's at about 30% of adjustment.
    The 7350 is at 65% of adjustment and an easy install on my engine, your mileage may vary...

8. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Glad I found this thread. I've just wasted a whole afternoon trying to fit the Superformance supplied Gates 6263. The Gates 6215MC seems to be the correct one at 875 x 10mm.
    Will try and get one of those or a 7350 (after I have had words with Superformance...)

9. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    I did mention this some time ago to them ... two years ?? Eventually I just bought one a bit longer from a local store for 10 bucks ....I'm surprised after all this time and communication ...still no result

Good luck

10. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Yep, went down to my local motor factors and got a Gates 6215MC off the shelf.
    At 875 x 10mm it is original size. After winding it on to the alternator pulley a little it fitted great, with just the right amount of adjustment.
    I told Superformance and they said they had sold 100's of the Gates 6263. I expect 100's have been thrown in the bin too!

On fitting though, I couldn't tighten the bottom alternator mounting bolt fully. How in hell do you get to the nut behind it? Or is it a captive nut / threaded mounting and I have another problem? :)

Also, whilst in there I noticed I have a weep from the water pump. Is that an easy diy job to replace the shaft and seal or is some sort of extractor required?

Cheers!
    Chris.

synchro likes this.
  11. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My 73 GT belt developed some belt squeaking so I ordered a new one from DinoParts and another from Rutlands (one was specific for non air and the other wasn't and I just didn't want to have the wrong belt when I had the car apart and on jack stands). Both arrived and are the exact same belt and completely different from the one on the car. The car has a Gates 7m900 which is a very thin belt. The Gates belt 6215mc doesn't even fit into the grooves on the pulleys? The 7m900 belt is a special order one - and seems very undersized. Was a retrofit done later for the more robust 6215 belt?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Rob, Do you know if your alternator pulley was replaced if it has a 7mm wide belt?
    Sometimes different alternators are fitted when they fail.

13. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I have rebuilt several of the Dino pumps and the difficulty is getting the seal/bearing assembly out of the housing. I was successful twice and ended up breaking the casting on my own car...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The belt is 7 mm. I replaced it wi

The pulley groove is 7mm on all 3 pulleys. I changed the belt today and still have fairly loud chirping - see my new post with video.

15. stuartlarman

stuartlarman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2009
    Tucson az
    Full Name:
    stuart larman
    CHRIS,
    I JUST HAD THE SAME PROBLEM; TRYING TO TIGHTEN THE BOLT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ALTERNATOR.
    I SPENT 2 HOURS AND A DOZEN TOOLS TRYING TO DO THAT. IN THE END.....
    FIRST OF ALL THERE IS NOT A CAPTIVE NUT; YOU HAVE TO CRAWL UNDER THE CAR AND HOLD THE OTHER END OF THE BOLT WITH A 19mm (I THINK) WRENCH; THEN, IN EXTREMELY BAD FORM (BECAUSE I COULD NOT HOLD THE HEAD OF THE BOLT AS ONE WOULD NORMALLY DO) I PUSHED A SOCKET ONTO THE BOLT HEAD AT A 45 DEGREE ANGLE WITH A SOCKET ONE SIZE LARGER THAN THE HEAD (I THINK I USED AN 18mm ON THE 17mm BOLT)
    THE OVERSIZED SOCKET AT THE ANGLE WENT ON THE BOLT HEAD JUST ENOUGH TO 'CATCH' AND HOLD IT WHILE I TIGHTENED UP THE ONE UNDER THE CAR. IS IT POSSIBLE THERE IS A SPECIAL DINO TOOL FOR THIS?
    STUART

16. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Is there any particular reason your posts are all in UPPERCASE? Some people find that really annoying, I just find it more difficult to read.