Dino Forward Exhaust Header Removal | FerrariChat

Dino Forward Exhaust Header Removal

Discussion in '206/246' started by ehs308, Jan 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ehs308

ehs308 Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    Have done an extensive search to determine whether it's possible to remove the forward exhaust header on my U.S. spec Dino with the engine in place and haven't found anything 100% conclusive. Removed the alternator from the waffle housing for rebuild and would like to have the headers ceramic coated as well. Alternator removal was simplified greatly by reading several excellent threads on this site and did not require moving/removing the right side fuel tank as it has a cut out. Would like to leave the tank in place to remove the header if possible. Also considered removing the waffle housing in favor of the Euro spec alternator mounting but that doesn't appear feasible without removing the engine.

Any input/guidance would be much appreciated.

Ed

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2 synchro, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Have you removed the waffle-can alternator bracket and the cooling system hoses/pipes? If you haven't updated the 3 cooling pipes then this would be an opportune time to go stainless.
    This is a cramped compartment to work in and even though Dinos vary from car to car,
    but for this task I bet you'll be removing the forward header from under the car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ehs308

ehs308 Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks for your reply synchro. Coolant system hoses and pipes have been removed and pipes were updated a few years back when I refurbished my coolant system. Doesn't appear that the waffle can/housing can be removed without removing the engine, but I would like to do that if possible. Car is on a lift making access a bit easier. You mention removing the front header from under the car; does that mean it can be removed with the waffle housing and right side fuel tank installed? Can you elaborate? Thanks for your input.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Removing the alternator was certainly made easier on the newer cars with the cut-out in the fuel tank. On the older cars it is a HUGE job and it took me a full 12 hours to remove and replace an alternator.

Being quite familiar with the area in question, I would find it almost impossible to remove the forward header without removing the fuel tank. The tank just compromises you in so many ways that I cannot imagine how it is possible otherwise. The waffle shield for sure complicates this problem further so I would strongly urge you to just remove the tank if you want to take the header out (especially if the header is still cladded with aluminum the way the original US headers were).

Best of luck with the project

5. ehs308

ehs308 Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    Many thanks for your response Nuvolari. You've confirmed my suspicion that the fuel tank will require removal in order to remove the front header. Doubtful my headers are original but they've been on the car since I purchased it in 1999. Appear to be in good condition but would most likely benefit from a refinishing. Thanks again for your help.

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #6 synchro, Jan 20, 2016
    I removed those in mine but Dinos are different, got a photo of yours there?

The waffle can has a long bolt that needs the space for removal. The tank is easy to remove, secured with a single strap and whichever fuel line and vent connections you have (EU/US Dinos then A/C).

A couple of thoughts:
    1) check your cross tank fuel hoses, I was surprised how bad mine were
    2) you could easily convert your US alternator waffle bracket to a Euro Alternator bracket

7. ehs308

ehs308 Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    #7 ehs308, Jan 21, 2016
    Thanks again for your help synchro. Couldn't get a very good photo with the housing installed but it appears very similar to the one you show in your reply. Still contemplating removing the tank in order to remove the housing and header. Rear suspension is removed for refurbishment and thought it might be a good time to go through the alternator and deal with the housing and header as well.

Great advice on the cross over fuel pipe hoses. Changed mine out in 2013 while doing service on the car because I didn't know how old they were. Was shocked when I started to remove them and they just came apart in my hands. No indication that they were bad but I'm sure I was on borrowed time if I hadn't changed them when I did. Something for all Dino (and 308) owners' to keep an eye on.