Dino GT #03664 rebodied in Aluminum | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Dino GT #03664 rebodied in Aluminum

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Aug 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I'm sure the body is a lot lighter but I just want to point out that there are steel GTV's in racing trim that are below 800kg's all up, including roll cage. I think some are close to 600kg's but there are lots of lighten holes in those ones ;).

I say this before people run out to their steel 246's and start ripping the bodywork off. I think by the time your returned all the trim, etc. there gains will not be as much as the GTA versus GT example. Also note there is a 200kg's between a Stradale GTA and racing version of a GTA ... same alloy body.
    Pete

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I am curious Pete, where did you find the specs about there being a 200kg. weight difference between a Stradale GTA and racing GTA? Not that I question the figures, of course...

After this question, I promise that the topic will revert to alloy Dino.

Regards, Alberto

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Alfa Romeo GTA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Pete

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Scott,

Is the current state of the Dino or does it look different today?

Shawn

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #55 TTR, Jan 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    While an interesting idea and commendable effort, I don't see any real advantages.
    - Corrosion/oxidation is still an issue, especially due to electrolysis, should the car be driven/used as intended.
    - How much corrosion/oxidation did the chassis and coachwork supporting space frame structure had and how authentically/correctly was all that remedied (with photo documentation) ?
    - How much do these and other significant (uncomfortable ?) questions/stories affect potential value ?

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I assume (I know one shouldn't) this car (03664) would (or should) not be eligible for Classiche certification with its alloy coachwork.

7. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    I don't think it would be noticed during certification. you can definitely try it.

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Wouldn’t that undermine the integrity/validity/worthiness of the entire certification and its process, especially if approved and/or not noticed ?

500tr likes this.
  9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I thought this discussion was about 03664 and was just wondering about the authenticity of its “restoration”(?), including efforts taken to repair or replace any number of chassis and/or coach work support structure tubing, etc. that were likely severely “compromised” (due to corrosion) based on description and photos shown about its previous sheet metal damages.

While the coach work sheet metal forming is a highly respectable artisan skill and under no circumstances do I wish to argue against those of Mr. Leach, I know many, even some here in SoCal who are as skilled if not more so.

I too have dabbled in forming replacement & repair panels (both in aluminum & steel) and other metal repairs on vintage cars, including Ferraris, I’d like to think I have some idea of the efforts/skills it requires and seeing extensive projects like this can’t help but make me wonder if everything else has been done to same level of care, quality and skill.