Dino headlight covers | FerrariChat

Dino headlight covers

Discussion in '206/246' started by enzosteve, Feb 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am looking of headlight covers on my 1971 dino.

I see huge prices differences between some websites
    I am guessing thats due to quality differences.

Any recommendations where I should buy them?
    Dinoparts.de has them but there about 400 a piece.

thank you

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  3. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Is it true that you have to cut the headlight covers in order to custom fit them?

I also heard you have to make some of the bracketry to install them correctly?

Did anyone find this add-on part that difficult to install?

4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It depends how lucky you are, some need minor alterations. If you take your time it is rewarding. However they do cut down the light so i remove mine if i drive a night.

Superformance UK do the brackets as well and is a simple job.

5. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    Absolutely true. Alle covers are much bigger than what would fit and have to be indivudually cut and adjusted to the car. That is no easy work and you should know somebody who is able to do it.
    Regarding the fixation, there are several options how to fit on the car:
    I drilled two small holes in the back end of the cover and bolted with small screws two "L"-shape brakets on the inside of the cover. The L Shape brakets are in fender direction and with a small rubber on them the fit between the fender and the chrome ring from the headlamp. The main problem is how to fix on the front: I used a metal insert with a threat like on the early Alfa graduate Spider in which annother crew is holding the cover. But this was done during the restauration and before the new paint...

6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I am not aware of a source for ready-made brackets. Mine were made from bar stock aluminum in a very short time and have proven to be very satisfactory. It is true, however, that the trimming should not be attempted by the unskilled. It is tedious work, with a very great risk of cracking a cover if you are not careful. That's why I didn't tackle that particular task myself! Fred

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #7 TonyL, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    A bit complicated Mr Schumacher!!

Fit two brackets behind the headlight bowl facing forward, these have two u shape sections on the leading edge for inserting into the covers.

The front bracket is drilled and rivetted on the front wing and one screw holds them in place. Pretty simple really

As for trimming the covers, they are not normmally miles away from the shape of the headlight recess, but they do need careful work.

The brackets are SS and almost invisible when fitted, unfortunately the front one is on view. If you attack it with a blunt saw then expect problems

Tony

8. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    #8 daviekj, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Indeed they are not an easy item to fit. I bought mine about 5 years ago from Superfomance along with the fitting kit. The components were of high quality. Unfortuantely I don't have any photos of the fitting process, but I remeber it was a relatively long job, probably around 4 evenings work.

The covers come bigger (approx 1/2" all around) than the body scoop. Obvioulsy this is so they can be trimmed to fit.

Don't expect the left body scoop to be identicle to the other. A further complcation is that there is no easy way to mirror image the markings of the first fit to the second. case of fitting each one on its own while ensuring the result looks even.

To cut/shape them I iterated around 30 times beween marking the cover with a black marker and then progressively ground to the line with a ~2" diameter sander mounted in a vertial pillar drill. The paper was about 200 grade. I took off a little at a time and kept offering it up to the body and remarking. It is not easy as the cover does not sit in the socket until you get the final result. Also the cut needs to be at the correct variable angle with respect to the body contact. It is very easy to go just a little to far. I think my left cover sits fractionally too deep after that final tidy up grind!

I have seen a number of different mounting styles. Nick Cartright cars appear to have two ~ 15mm long OD ~2mm pins that are mounted on and in the upper eyebrow of the body and poke into holes drilled in the perspex. ie. down the thickness of the perspex cover. It looks quite neat but I am pretty sure it would require drilling the body work. Rather than drill holes here, I decided to make up some stainless "S" shaped brackets that simply rest tight above the cover and rely on the front cap screw clip to hold everything firmly in place. The clips use the exsiting headlamp mounting holes. I replaced the original screws holding the light assembly in with M5 bolts with the nuts on the inside of the wing. This has the added bonus of being able to remove the whole light assembly without the need to attempt to pull the light chrome surround off and damage paint work. I did use the Superformace front clip but only used one bolt to hold it to the body. This is the only hole I drilled in the body work.

A final note, is that every time the car gets wet water will run down under the perspex cover into the scoop. Need to take the covers off to dry it off. Not a great problem for me as I don't take it out in the rain. It is a nice job to do on the rare ocasion I wash the car.

Satisfying when done, but as Tony says, you need to take time over it.

Kevin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    #9 Dino Club Germany, Feb 24, 2010
    Maybe my description was bad, but I think my solution is not complicated
    and simmillar to the one from Kevin. The picture shows it better.
    I can use my S- shape brakets also for some adjustment,
    as they can move around the screw axis whenn loose and this moves the cover also.
    One big risk is: if you use too much torque for the screws the cover is easily broken.
    Nicolai

10. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #10 normv, Feb 24, 2010
    Hello Ive done a few for some friends as I make the covers myself out of .220 thick Plexi Glass which gives me more material to countersink the screws into so as there not on top of the glass. Its a very time consuming process for example the windscreen I did for the 500 took me over 60hours making a mold and forming, plus trimming to fit, plus the front covers too. Now I have the front cover molds for the 246 also and some one offs I did for the D-type. Not sure if I want to do again as its a labor of love rather than a money maker, LOL. the 246 shown is a replica with a couple of extra hold downs, not how Ive done on it on the the real ones, but its the only picture I have. Thanks Norm

11. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Since the covers cannot give an air-tight fit, dust will occasionally get into the scoops. Several times a season, I remove the covers to clean the dust, etc. out of the scoops. They are definitely worth the trouble, however, in my opinion. Fred

12. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Part of me would love them on my car but i just could not bring myself to drill that lovely body! I just know something awful would happen.
    Graham

jag312 likes this.
  13. David Jarrett

David Jarrett Karting

Sep 21, 2006
    Chatham Kent
    Full Name:
    David Jarrett
    #13 David Jarrett, Feb 25, 2010
    What could possibly go wrong?

14. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Blimey, You could have dug the channel tunnel with that!

15. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #15 enzosteve, Aug 26, 2010
    I saw this car at Pebble Beach 2010.

Headlight covers look great.

Anyone know someone in the Los Angeles area that can custom fit these on my car?

using the superformance mounting kit

16. jusdriveit

jusdriveit Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    Brian Hoyt fit those covers (amd made the brackets) that I purchased from Bruce Trenery (Fantasy Junction) about 10 yrs ago.
    Aloha,
    Mark

17. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    very well done Mark
    regards Matthias

18. jusdriveit

jusdriveit Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    #18 jusdriveit, Aug 28, 2010
  19. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    Norm, are you “available” to make a new set of headlight covers for my ‘72 Dino 246gt? My old set(Brandoli, as has been divulged to me) were cracked during reinstatement from body work years ago. I would need the installation hardware too, as the old pieces were lost. Live in the Chicagoland area so not too far from your domicile. Thanks, Hugh

20. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I have some uncut lenses still, they need to be trimmed and fitted to your car. No hardware but maybe could fab up some. If you like plan on coming here with your car and we can spend a day installing them., it's a lot of tedious work. Or I can pick your car up with an enclosed trailer and do it over a weekend or so. Thanks again from Norm 574-255-7843 shop #

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #21 4CamGT, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Here’s some examples of some elegant mounting solutions. Note the 2 brackets by the headlamps. Some have used some existing mounting points so no extra drilling and the one mounting screw at the front. There are some flat aluminum or flat chrome screws used by others that look elegant and give an OEM look. Something like this: https://www.newcoproducts.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_45_102&product_id=71

https://www.newcoproducts.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1334

If you still have your covers (even if cracked), they will give you the correct contour as there is a L+R and also will simplify trimming the new ones. Good Luck!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

22. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    That’s an incredible offer! Will take you up on it once Spring really gets underway. Will be in touch later on. I will insist paying you for the lenses and labor involved. Am presently away from Chicagoland. Thought it better to escape from all the polarizing media until it settles down. Hugh