Dino Replica/Kit | FerrariChat

Dino Replica/Kit

Discussion in '206/246' started by GT steve, Aug 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT steve

GT steve Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Livermore, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 GT steve, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not sure what the name of the original company that produced this kit, but I thought I would share some photos of the car. I bought the car from Australia for the engine/transmission and other parts for my Dino project. I was quite amazed at how accurate the car is. The chassis is made of oval tube and has the same layout as an original chassis. The frames on the door sills are beefed up and some of the cross supports are made of square tube as opposed to round tube, but all else looks accurate right down to the fuel tank mounts, parking brake and shift mounts. The car is a roller with all Dino suspension and steering rack (although RT hand drive). The body is molded from an original car. You can see the original locations of the side marker lights (Euro) and wiper arms and squirters. The doors have an inner panel that look to be a copy of the original also. The engine, trunk and boot lids are a little sketchy with no inner frame work. If anyone is interested in a car like this, PM me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Interesting site.

I wonder if it would be possible to build a whole new Dino from commercially available parts, from the ground up?

4. GT steve

GT steve Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Livermore, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes I believe a very good replica could be made with either new parts or used Dino parts. A steal body would be tricky. It really depends on how much money you wish to spend.
    This car is set up for all Dino parts accept the foot peddles which are Tillton. The harder parts to locate would be the door window frames, chrome trim for the front windshield and Dino seats.

Steve

5. Speedmade

Speedmade Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Reed H
    What's interesting is that the chassis shown above uses original Ferrari control arms and hubs. The replica company uses custom tubular arms with special hubs.
    Maybe this one is an early model.

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I have seen the chassis, and it is very well made. The body is obviously glass, but metal is available and could be the base of a very nice replica if that is your angle.
    Steve is a brilliant restorer and 'anything' maker, nothing is too difficult for him, and on top of it all, a pilot, which right away puts him on a different 'plane'....and a heck of a nice guy.

Regards, Alberto

7. GT steve

GT steve Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Livermore, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Alberto!

You are making me blush way too much! Thanks for the kind words! And of course you will be getting a ride in the Airmaster when done...hopefully in the next year or two.

Cheers!
    Steve

8. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  9. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    This was mine from years ago, it was a pretty good replica to be honest but never as good as the original ....hence selling it on.