Dino restomod | FerrariChat

Dino restomod

Discussion in '206/246' started by npwmd2, Jan 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Would like some feedback, would a restomod as per David Lee with an F40 motor devalue one's dino?

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I think there’s a lot of discussion over that motor. I believe it was actually from a Mondial, not an F40.

Regardless of that, I don’t think I would ever consider doing that to my Dino, but I would love to drive his Dino to see how it feels.

3. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Why wreck a beautiful little dino.
    If you want a faster car then just buy something else

NYC Fred, peterp, TonyL and 3 others like this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    These "concepts" or "ideas" (i.e. "resto-mods", etc) are usually just ego-centric and more often than not, conceived/executed by or for individuals who rarely, if ever, actually drive said cars much.
    What a waste of often perfectly good cars. :(

daytonaman and 87testa like this.
  5. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When I see cars like the Evo I have very mixed feelings. On the one hand it’s probably not as well engineered as pick your favorite production supercar. On the other hand it’s a vision of what the Dino could be today, which is fun to see.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd agree strongly with two things that Jay Leno said:

"restomod isn't even the right term" and "this is the car that Ferrari should've made".

Super nice and well done! My only minor criticism would be: "400 bhp out of a NA 3.6L engine? = no way" ;). Not saying that it isn't a wonderful bhp boost over a stock Dino, but the secret sauce of the F40 is the turbos.

Jakuzzi and JL350 like this.
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    … to what end ?
    Like with any other highly (excessively ?) uprated engine output performance on any road car, I can’t help but wonder if it’s done merely for egotistical bragging rights or “compensation” or is there some real practical/useful reason for it ?
    I mean how often do individuals with highly uprated “resto-mods” take theirs through the paces and needing or using even 70% of their HP or torque it provides ?

Not to mention that custom/modified cars are very personal choice, so when it’s time to sell them, the pool of potential buyers is usually very small or close to nonexistent and it is extremely rare that even majority (i.e. 50+%) of the build costs can be recovered.
    All this ^^ gets even more compounded if/when the subject is a rare and/or highly collectible/desirable vehicle in it original format, like a Dino, for example
    Hopefully they had a foresight to retain its original engine and any other components that got removed for the “upgrade”(?).
    If not, I can’t see any serious Dino/Ferrari enthusiast paying even half of one with all stock running gear.
    I mean a lot folks will say it’s cool and all that, but how many would actually buy it instead of a stock Dino, let alone pay a premium over one in similar overall condition ?

TonyL likes this.
  8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You, obviously, didn't watch the video (all reversible, all orig components retained). I'm more skeptical about where that UK company is going to get 25 Dino's to modify ;).

~300 bhp in a 2500 lb car drives real nicely...

9. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

First tell where they are going to get 25 "F40" engines? I noticed they really didn't want us looking at the engine because it's NOT an F40 engine.
    Second, already mentioned, they're really going to modify 25 Dinos? That's just going to make the original cars worth more even if these cars can be put back.
    This looks like a great car but I don't see someone going into production with this. It's not like what Jaguar did with the new E Type.

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Based on long established experiences of UK produced fakes/replicas/etc, they probably could just "sacrifice" couple of dozen+ 308s/Mondials/etc for VINs, running gear/undercarriage components and just make everything else from scratch ?

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    You can breath into a stock Dino engine and you may maximize power,
    but, what for? In expert hands, Dino, will scare the bejeezus out of most people as is.
    Dino is perfect.

I bought new 'modern pistons' that weigh a few grams less, but that's it.

You are so right Howard and Timo!
    Regards, Alberto

NYC Fred, George Vosburgh and TonyL like this.
  12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    And yes, you can do restomod Porsches all you want clearly not a Dino in numbers of manufacture,
    and they are hot rods, great workmanship, bla di bla, a Singer? Nope not for me.

Yet for same $ you can buy a new P car, much better, but no bragging rights. Oh well, what a bummer.
    A '73 RS? Definitely, the bragging rights are all over the wall.

Regards, Alberto

13. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The Dino just sounds all wrong with a V8..... it's like it has lost it's voice and personality with this transplant.

-K1- and TonyL like this.
  14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Never in a million years would i convert my 246 into that car and as for being reversible.........dont bet on it without substantial amounts of work (and money) to correct it. All sales BS.

Get a Radical and enjoy more power than most could handle.

A well tuned 246 in the wrong hands is a bad car, a modified V8 246 is even worse.

peterp, swift53 and George Vosburgh like this.
  15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I know I will take arrows for this, I would never do this, but would be very interested in driving and experiencing this.

TonyL likes this.
  16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Totally agree - Not just an engine transplant, wheels, brakes, suspension etc etc........its awful and I wouldnt give you £20k for the car. It would buy a very good replica 246 and modify that with a fully tuned Alfa V6. Same effect and looks, keep the original in the garage.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why not just stick a small block Chevy back there?

You lose all the soul from a Dino by removing its heart.

18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Power steering? What a bunch of wusses.

Regards, Alberto

19. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Why should we consider cars any different than our homes? We build our homes with technology that is available at the time, and "restomod" them as the technology improves! We buy cars with the technology available at the time and consider them frozen in time and a tribute to outdated technology!!

Think About It!!

Jakuzzi and 95spiderman like this.
  20. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    I thought about it for 10 seconds
    You just dont get it

21. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Oh wait, I need more power in my Daytona

22. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Any 550 engines out there for sale

swift53 likes this.
  23. rosso dino

rosso dino Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    I thought about it, too and as an architect I would say: there are homes and there are buildings of exceptional architecture and of course there are heritage buildings.
    The last two species would, under all circumstances, be left untouched as much as possible.
    In this comparison, for me the Dino is equate to an heritage building of exceptional architecture!
    Think about it again. ;o)

peterp and cairns like this.
  24. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Being a Plastic Surgeon myself, I am only putting the thought out there! I know it is hard to consider, but we all upgrade material objects as technology changes!! I for one as a Plastic Surgeon am the ultimate "restomoder". What I am trying to say is the dino per see would be a different car if built today!! As the Porsche 911 is.

95spiderman likes this.