Dino Restoration #4946 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino Restoration #4946

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Apr 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #26 omgjon, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    More parts off the car today. I finished TAV 117 and TAV 107. More organized from the git go this time. So basically all the lights, engine lid, pull cables etc. After pulling the moulding off the engine compartment, I found the original yellow color. It appears to have been repainted in red and then black. The US sidelites won't be going back on as I like the cleaner Euro look. I also got a pair of Euro indicator lights which will replace the USA version. This time I'm going to get them right the first time. Stripping the car down is really a fun part, you don't have to be quite as careful and you see all the wear and tear that has been hiding from a casual glance over. If anyone is contemplating a DYI restoration I would for FREE gladly take it apart label all the parts, organize all the parts in TAV tubs and give you all the pictures to put it back together, it's that much fun! Someone out there needs to start now and start posting pictures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Ladies & Gentlemen..............Out our left window are the roads this beautiful Dino has travelled. And to the right, are the roads she will travel in the future. But to describe the journey directly in front of us, we hand the keyboard and the camera to Jon. He will take us in reverse - - to the seed, if you will. And then he will nurture the fruit of that seed by recreating this car - before our very eyes.

This is pure entertainment !

Thank you Jon, for sharing all this with us.........

Cheers, Hank

3. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    omgjon, are converting this Dino to euro sidemarkers, turnsignals, etc. like the previous one?

4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    has the color black crept back in as a candidate for a 'keeper' color....it looks so great sitting there coming apart in black, I was just wondering with the quality you are capable of, perhaps black??? I know the color issue has been labored over, just making an observation :)

5. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    No Black!

6. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I understand...... I shouldnt be called Nerodino
    because i just could not bring myself to paint mine black even though it was originally.
    I spent over a year deliberating on the colour before making what i think now is an excellent choice.

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    sorry, I'll be quiet and just observe now, and throw in a WOW!, or AMAZING WORK! now and then :)

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I think you made a good choice too Graham, it looks superb to me.

9. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I like opinions. Black is beautiful but not worth all the effort to maintain it in pristine condition. I probably would never drive it.

10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Jon, Your 04946 and my 04808 went the down the production line a few weeks apart! I wonder if they ever met in the post-production courtyard?
    Fred

11. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #36 omgjon, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    Most likely! Is that the original color on yours?

12. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Yes it is, Jon. In 1994, after having had several panels resprayed with factory-pack ICI paint, I wanted the entire car repainted because of fading and related issues with the nitrocellulose lacquer factory paint. The painter was having a very difficult job getting the fine-grain metallic and component tints needed to match the original color, Blu Sera. Coincidently, a high-level ICI representative from Toronto was at the body shop conducting a paint seminar. Seeing my car, he asked what the problem was. My painter told him that ICI paint had been used by the factory, but he could not now match it. The ICI rep asked to take my gas cap door back to Toronto. He used it to create a formula to duplicate the original paint. A batch was made up at my local shop, and the entire car was redone, with the exception of the painted areas behind the seats, where the shoulder harnesses are anchored. I still have a copy of the formula. In fact, my painter liked the color so much, he painted a motorcycle tank Blu Sera for another customer. Something similar happened when he did a bare-metal repaint of my other Dino in Rosso Fiorano Metallizzato. A guy who was having my body/paint man customize a red Ford F-150 Lighting pickup was so taken by the Rosso Fiorano that he had his truck sprayed in the Ferrari color. Fred

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As Jon separates things it gives you a different perspective.

Another great thing to like about the Dino is its use of brightwork.
    The chrome trim really sets off the paint color which is why black and colored metallics work so well on the body.

14. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #39 omgjon, Apr 18, 2009
    TAV 108 today, which is basically the trunk and everything that goes with it. Hinges, lights, carpet etc. It appears the trunk carpet was originally gray and black felt like material was glued over it. It was missing the parts that activate the license plate light so I'll have to find or make those. The car has never been taken down to bare metal as you can see the layers of paint. Felt was also glued to the inside of the trunk lid to hide the wiring which was needed for the license plate light as the original pieces were missing therefore wired direct.

15. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    what`s the number stamped on the hinge of the luggage boot cover?
    1717 ?
    a twelvehundred number as your body no. to#04946 would make more sence?!

16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #41 omgjon, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
    2804 is stamped on the hinges of my 74 Dino. And why would it make more sense??

17. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    This is SO much fun to see a Dino completely taken apart again. Photos really bring the manual drawings to life!

18. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #43 GermanDino, Apr 19, 2009
    Body no. 2804 makes sence to your #07836.

Body no. started new at no.1 with with first E-serie car.
    So #04946 should have more of a 12?? number?!
    But the body no. with E-serie Dinos are not only stamped on the hinge of the luggage boot cover.
    The number is perhaps also writen inside the front boot cover or inside the dashboard.
    Please let me know what you find there.
    With Ferrari everything is possible, so it could also be 1717?! But also possible that at one point in time the hinge of the luggage boot cover was changed at your car.

Regards Matthias

Pictures show body no. 2238 of #06830

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jon,

glad to see you're back at it!

I hope due to the rare nature of this car, that you leave it as it was created. In US spec. I know the side markers are not as attractive, but certainly in this instance they are important to the history of the car.

Color? Much less of an issue I think. I do like the GT in fly yellow, but since that is out, I suspect you're leaning towards viola. I'd probably go with the silver/gray metallic.

dm

20. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I like the color in the upper right of post #11 for a flares car. I would choose the upper left fot a non flares car.

I also don't like the extra lights. If I were ever doing this I would do it for me. Plus it is easily changed back if it is desired in the future for the person that desires it then.

21. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Changing the lights back to US spec would require some serious metal work, especially if he changes the front turn signals to Euro spec.

Not a simple in and out, that's for sure.

DM

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #47 synchro, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
    Let me contact JH355 and see how he is doing on fabricating these.
    You held the 3 prototypes in your hand at Bella Italia...

Also, Have you checked the abyss? It may have fallen down into the crack on the inside rear trunk panel below the license plate attach point. That slot allows things to fall in.

23. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Personally, I can't stand US side marker lights on ANY classic or exotic car! They look awful and many times really HURT the aesthetics of many beautiful cars, especially the DINO!!! Get rid of 'em!!! ...I was going to resist 'opinionating' but you welcome them, thanks! JMO :)

They HURT Pantera's, Khamsin's, Dino's, Alfa Spider's, Countach's, etc.....

24. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    No plan to put them back on. Euro baby!

25. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Jon, Will you be retaining the two-post late US bumpers, or going with the cut-off late Euro units? The cut-off bumpers accentuate the more squared corners of the last-edition grilles, though the last US bumpers, since they protrude a bit, allow you to see the insides of the grille corners. Similarly, the last-edition US rear bumper blades, being out a bit more from the tail, as well as canted a bit toward the car's centerline, allow you to view the entire curvature of the Kamm tail, and better parallel the plan view of the decklid, protruding a bit in the center. Fred