Dino Restoration #4946 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Dino Restoration #4946

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Apr 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    The hood vents are the signature look as they are on the engine lid and carried through to the side vents on the GTS Targa top hoop. It definitely looks like something is missing and has been for sale for a long long time.

2. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    #77 Jon Hansen, May 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In addition to messing up the aesthetics, the hood vents are functional to let heat out as air flows through the radiator.
    I am willing to bet the blue custom Dino runs hot.

It looks to me like a visit to this shop is in order.

Jon, are you OK with reusing the suspension nylock nuts more than once?
    There is some spirited debate on this. I do not have a problem with it personally.
    Have you ever replated these nuts before?
    If so, do you have any before and after pics?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I'm fine with reusing. I had some originals done yellow cad. They looked new, Ill see if I can find a photo.

4. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #79 omgjon, May 2, 2009
    I wasn't planning on doing anything today, but drove the blue Dino up to my shop for some fun pictures. I couldn't resist and drained the engine oil, gearbox oil, gasoline and coolant. I'm considering removing the engine next week. I'm glad to see others posting their projects, I love to see what others are doing and see the varied talents you all have. I'm always amazed.

5. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Is gearbox and engine oil words exchanged in photos?

6. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Omgjon & Jon- I am working on the issue of cadmium plating myself. Omgjon u mentioned u used the Caswell plating system and it worked pretty well but only in the beginning. I am anxious to buy this kit and have already bought the manual to really learn how this works. As you said there is an extensive website and one of the guys has put a nice site up for doing what they call Copy Cad. It is the effect of cadmium plating. I have it on my favorite sites & he goes on to say how he has made a barrel system that works quite well. I am thinking of it for the same reasons you did...take a few nuts bolts off plate em & reinstall. The alternative is to take every single nut & bolt off throw em in a bucket & send em to the Cad plating guy at $100 bucks a throw (at least back east). If you forget some then another $100 bucks and on & on. The appeal of the home system is strong but I am not keen to waste the $$ on it if it doesn't work. Has anyone else used this? If it does work it really helps in the restoration of things especially considering losing stuff or forgetting where it goes. I am very interested to see what others think that have done this. Or it could be a waste of time & money?

7. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    It's a waste of time and money in my opinion.

8. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    oop's sorry.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jon,

Just noticed that the radiator in the black 246 doesn't appear to be at all stock from the heads on photo.

Is there something funny going on there? Has it been replaced with a modern radiator at some point?

Dave

10. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    It has a new air conditioning radiator. I don't plan on having AC in the car. Lot's of weight and in San Diego not really needed.

11. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Your eyes are playing tricks on you.

12. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Jon, In the shots of the black Dino on the lift above the blue GTS, it looks as though it is buzzing a landing strip, having already retracted the landing gear! I've often thought that the GT body shape would have made a good boat or fighter plane design! Fred

13. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Never thought of it that way, but you do have a good imagination now that I take a closer look.

14. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #89 omgjon, May 4, 2009
    Jeff is home from school for the summer so he talked me into a job. Part of the job is working with me a couple hours a day on the Dino. Removing the engine is what we're working on. I'm trying to follow the instructions in the Dino repair manual. A few of the steps we had already done previous. They list 30 steps to remove the engine, we just finished #12. We met a guy at Bella Italia who really wants to paint this one. He's coming over to the shop Wednesday to look it over.

15. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    If the concern is that they could come undone, you can always put on loctite, which accomplishes the same thing as the nylock rubber piece (keeping them from backing out).

Jon: Don't let "blackie" there drip on that beautiful blue paint. How much faster are you taking stuff off because of the experience factor?

Best
    Alberto

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #91 synchro, May 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
    Welcome back Jeff!
    Alberto is right, things seem to be going faster (smoother too?)

Photo number 7 shows the ears torn off the engine block's rear coolant petcock. After draining, you just need to finger tighten these as they seal firmly on temperature cycles then they automatically lock down much harder so that the next time someone tries to rotate the drain shaft it takes herculean strength to break free.

Once broken, you'll need to buy a new one which is about $30.00 USD from Dinoparts.de
    or $2.99 from Harbor Freight (item #95804)
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95804

Buy 3 of these for the two petcocks on the engine block and the one petcock on the radiator

17. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    You just saved me $80.00. Thanks Scott

18. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Jon- I just sent my car to the plastic media stripper. He is going to blast the paint off the body. I also want the frame stripped of all that undercoat etc and he has the ability to blast that with grit. I had been thinking instead to hit the frame with the wire brush cup on a grinder and do it that way. However, I am not sure that I can do as good a job and would like it to be very clean. The only problem is I have not removed the fibreglass panels in the cockpit and so the stripper could not get all sides of the frame tubes (clearly I could hit those spots later). What do u advise?

19. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Tom, (sorry to butt in Jon)
    I have a little experience with this. I have a 500 lb capacity pressure fed blasting system that runs at 100 psi. I have done hundreds of hours with it. The undercoating is time consuming to blast off and your masking will get eaten through, hurting the fiberglass. You are also going to have loads of plastic media and sand in nooks and crannies that will be almost impossible to remove. Your painter will curse you.
    The best thing to do is reclaim your body from the blaster guy and finish stripping the all the fiberglass panels off. The overall job will be superior in all respects.
    The fiberglass panels should be paint and undercoating stripped and refinished off the car
    best regards,
    jon

Back to you omgjon. tx.

20. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I would tend to agree about the fiberglass panels. It really takes very little extra effort to take them out but WELL worth the extra effort especially with how far you are going on your restoration. The fiberglass in the front boot is also easy to take out. You will get a really superb job that looking back you will be very glad you did it. Besides there's no hurry you get paid the same way I do (nothing).

21. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    hmnn- good advice. I wonder if I could just do it at the guys shop. Did you use a dremel, air powered cut off wheel or do u think a sawzall would do it? I copied all of the pics of the fibreglass panels being removed off of the dino restoration page. Maybe I could take those & a sawzall and cut them out?

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #97 synchro, May 5, 2009
    Jon,

While you're there could you please look at the coolant hoses from the tunnel and their connection to the pipes that go aft?

Were pipes 22 and 39 swapped?

Put another way;
    Does tunnel hose #33 really connect to pipe #22 and is on the top of the tunnel?
    Is tunnel hose hose #2 really below hose #33 and connect to pipe #39?

When I recently replaced mine it was previously installed opposite from what the parts book showed and would not go any other way (top hose went to pipe #39, bottom hose to pipe #22).
    Thank you.

PS - that single resonator exhaust is unique, never seen one before.

23. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Either a dremel or cut off wheel will work fine. You really don't have to make many cuts to get it out, then just drill the rivets out. The floor is already in 2 sections with a fiberglass strip attaching them together. The bulkhead was little harder as I had to cut the top left and right corners off. Nice thing about fiberglass it's easy to fix if you do any screwups. The tub for the spare tire takes only 1 small cut to get it out. I'm glad you're considering it. You will be so glad you did it. I don't think you would have any problem doing the work at the guys shop.

24. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #99 omgjon, May 5, 2009
    We did a little more work getting ready to remove the engine. Still following the removal instruction from the repair manual. We did steps 13-18 which basically consists of removing the heat exchanger, distributor along with the oil filter support unit. We also started on the air conditioning compressor which is not listed in the removal instructions. We removed the right gas tank as I don't think you can get the compressor out with the tank in place. The number of tubs is beginning to grow!

25. omgjon