Dino Restoration #4946 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Dino Restoration #4946

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Apr 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Best job on the planet!!!

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  3. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Hey, that's very cool.
    Jeff's paid schedule
    8:00 Am Bicycle with me minimum 2 hour ride.
    11:00-12:00 work on the Dino
    12:00-1:00 Lunch
    1:00-3:00 work on Dino
    3:30-5:00 He's my personal trainer at the gym. Either weights or Racquetball
    In the eve's he's working on a new and improved version on dinorestoration.com
    In between we have to get the beach in and trips to our favorite car places and once a week to the shooting range and a variety of other things.
    Friday's off except for cycling
    And he has to fit in 5 hours a week non paid pulling weeds etc.
    Nice to have him home!

4. jwtfjwtf

jwtfjwtf Karting

Oct 9, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Joshua Ferguson
    Still the best job in the world, even with the 5 hours of non paid pulling weeds!

5. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    any other slots available?? I'll undercut his price!!

6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    This reminds me of Woody Allen's line in a '60s movie, where he is on a psychiatrist's couch, and is asked what he does for a living, and how much he earns. He replies: "I dress showgirls at the Folies Bergere, 30 francs a week. It's all I can afford!" Fred

7. miuras

miuras Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2005
    Southern Calif
    #107 miuras, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This special order Dino was owned by GM Design staff in the 70's. Bill Mitchel, VP of Design made some modifications like the mirrors , front spoiler, pin striping, plex headlight covers,ect. It was a Chairs & Flares coupe to begin with direct from the factory. Rare!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Jon,

Thanks for taking us on this journey!

The Dino is one of my favorites...I still remember fondly the day I first drove one.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #109 synchro, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    hmmmm...not sure Jeff's idea of the term "vacation" is the same as mine but you've got to admire his work ethic.

Forza Jeff!

10. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    He's a lucky young man and you're a lucky dad... congratulations!

Best,
    Tom

11. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Does anybody know the chassis no. of Bill Mitchel`s Dino?

12. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    #113 gblue, May 12, 2009
    Aloha from Maui...

The Dino is a very complex car to restore, so many parts and issues. My 59 GT Carrera Speedster was started in December and will be done in a couple of weeks,,,
    Very few parts and issues. The Dino would have taken much longer and cost a lot more...great project...keep it going

Gregg

13. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Beautiful! I love the aluminum bucket seats!

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    WOW !!!.............. that is some body - - or great body work !!! And that engine !!!!!!!!!!!

15. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Greg- as the person that is restoring your old Dino there are a lot of issues and it is expensive- but I am having a blast! It was originally silver too! The engine had blown up at one point. See the post on 01832 to see more! Have fun with the Porsche it is a beauty!

16. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    #117 gblue, May 12, 2009
    Tom...I had no idea of those issues....glad you're up to it, I'll post a few more shots of my 4-cam Carrera when it comes back from the seat shop.....
    Engine done by Bill Doyle, using a brand new (NOS) unstamped factory block...it's Bob Kirby's old racer from California. He called it "Fred"
    My 206 was born silver also....you never know....

Gregg

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Jon,

Wow, things seem to be going faster, does it feel that way to you?

Are you going to replace the A/C system or delete it? I'm going to upgrade mine with a TCCI unit, new hoses and dryer.

Regards,

Scott

18. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Most likely delete. San Diego year round 72 degrees.

19. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Let's be brutally honest. The effectiveness of the A/C unit in a 246 is laughable. You have hot coolant running in a tunnel between the seats, a huge expanse of untinted glass, sticky leather seats, and one small cold air vent surrounded by two ambient air vents just to make sure that the "playing field" is totally tilted toward heat retention. I run my unit every time I take the car out, to keep the compressor operable and to lubricate internal seals. However, I have no illusions of actually cooling off due to the meager supply of "cold" air. The old Italian joke is more appropriate. When asking years ago if it were possible to rent an air-conditioned car in Italy, the response was: "Quattro ottanta!" Translation: drive 80 kph with all four windows open. On days when the heat or humidity is oppressive, I don't drive a Dino. I wish that neither of my cars were equipped with this so-called "air-conditioning system." In addition to the weight savings, you'd have a bit more passenger footroom. Fred

20. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    I just had the A/C in my Dino reconnected and put back to together correctly. I blows so much cold air I can't leave the fan on high. I live less than an hour north of San Diego but it gets hot where I am. I had countless trip in my 911S where I would get pretty wilted. I am glad the Dino has it!

Cheers,

21. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #122 synchro, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
    Fred,
    Of course you are correct when referring to the original configuration. It was the same on my 1972 Maserati Bora but after an A/C compressor failure I replaced that with a modern TCCI compressor unit (they bought York out) which has 40% higher CFM output, universal seals and accomodates a variety of refrigerants while retaining the universal mounting. The result was one of the best cooling systems in a vintage GT car that I've had. Looking forward to doing this in the Dino with the same results (hopefully).
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122110&highlight=TCCI

I've also purchased a shut off valve for the heater coolant circuit used on the 330 series for "Winter/Summer". This will cutoff hot water at the engine before it can reach the standard Dino shutoff valve up front. I suspect the standard heater shutoff allows hot water to reach the heater box exchangers by convection. This means that even when the standard valve is shut, you'll get hot air in the cabin.

22. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Scott can you give me some more info on the shut off valve. That seems like a good idea.

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #124 synchro, May 14, 2009
    Standard issue on Ferrari 330's and others which actually had two valves; this winter/summer "water shutoff" valve upstream and the dash lever operated ones downstream.
    Here's one on eBay, but these can be found much cheaper - I paid $30 from Steve Barney at Sport Auto in N Carolina:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350109411089

Very simple operation, turn it clockwise and all water flow stops.
    Ferrari must have known their hot water circuit convects to the heater core causing the cabin to get warm even when the cables have the heater off.

I learned about it from Kerry Chesebro (330 GT guru) and see Tom Yang's originally had a cruder version of the same (photo 6, blue handle)
    http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari838.htm

24. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Scott, I wish that you lived next door to me! Fred

sturrisi likes this.