Dino Restoration | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino Restoration

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Feb 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    omgjon-

Great thread & Good luck with the restoration!

Please keep us posted - I look forward to seeing the progress!

2. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Jerry - metallic silver. Hope it works. It will have French yellow headlights, amber European front directionals, etc.

Stop by my garage in the Canyon some time to see the progress.

Jim S.

3. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #28 omgjon, Feb 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Next time I'll preview my post for obvious reasons.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Back window is not an amateur operation to remove. At least not according to anyone I've ever asked. As I understand it, there is some gentle bending required, and if you've never done one, now isn't the time to start.

I don't know anyone on the left coast who can do it, but I'm sure some of the other Dino guys here do.

Even my paint shop, where they've done a dozen Dinos, had a guy come in to remove it from my car prior to stripping the paint.

Dave

6. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Jon - if preserving the rubber is not an issue, than removal of both front and rear windows is easy.

Simply use a razor blade to cut the rubber molding around the circumference of the window. You will be able to actually cut the molding in half longitudinally. Once this is done, the window will simply lift out of its seat. Two people can gently angle it to clear the rear sloping buttresses. Quite simple.

Jim S.

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Jon,
    If the rubber were worth saving, I would recommend you call Fernando @ PRESTIGE AUTO UPH. in N. Hollywood, for a little chat. (818) 753-9606. He's the guy other shops run to with issues like these.
    Cheers, Hank

8. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I cut the seal and it slipped right out. Thanks for the advice.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

How about gettin' it back in?

Any tricks there?

DM

10. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Jerry,

Metallic silver on a Dino is stunning. There's one running around in my hood. Haven't been able to talk with the owner yet.

Best,

Manny

11. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I don't plan on putting in back in. I'll leave that to the experts.

12. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Hi Jon!
    Any progress/updates? Would be very interested to see more pics.
    Best, Mick

13. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I'll post some pics tonight

14. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #39 omgjon, Mar 13, 2006
    I have been busy studying the part manual and repair manual. As much as I can I am tring to remove as much as I can of one system at a time. Not totally possible. I've now removed the entire interior along with chippinf off the soundproofing gook on the fiberglass wall behind seats. The cooling system is mostly as is the ventillation system. Most of the steering is out, the exhaust, all the trunk panels and tomorrow the wiring loom will be out and labeled. That has been the hardest to do. I also don't want the US sidelights or rear reflectors so I bought a wire welder and welded in the holes. First time welding. I also removed the front and rear glass with no breakage. Next week is the engine. In 2 weeks my rotisserie will be here and after the suspension is out it will go on that. So far it's been a blast and I've already learned so much. I have never done anything like this but always wanted to. It's especially fun because there are no time restraints and the costs are not really an issue. I photo and label each part as it comes off and store them in clear bins depending on which system they are a part of. If anyone ever wants to visit feel free. I'll keep you posted on how things go.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Hi Jon,

Thanks for posting the pics. This is very exciting and I hope to learn a lot from your project.

Thanks again,

Manny

16. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow, this is a great Father- Son project. It reminds me of working with my Father doing tune-ups and other repairs on his 67' Riveria! (He was tossing around the idea of getting an old Ferrari to restore but never did.) That's what started my interest in working on cars as a teenager- I now cherish those memories. (my Father passed away in 02'.)
    I've fully restored 6 cars, five 65' Mustangs and a 70' Vette. I now have an 85' 308 that I'm doing some minor sorting with. I just wish he could see me working on the Ferrari, I know he would have loved it like I do.
    Great job with the photos and info- keep it up !!! You're building priceless memories for both of you.

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Awesome pics, thanks!

18. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    Aloha...Is that the 246 you bought from Texas that was on e-bay? If it was I thought it was in great shape.........I guess you're planning on getting it concours......what bravery.....all the best and keep the fotos coming....or maybe set up a web page where you can upload them ALL and just provide a link.....check out how I did it........

Mahalo...Gregg

http://mauidreamcottage.com/cratertrip.html

19. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #44 omgjon, Mar 14, 2006
    The wire loom is out. What a job. I'm going to mount it on something to use for reference when the new one comes. Everything is labled but I'm going to lay it all out while it's still fresh in my mind. It really helps me to visualize how things work if I can see the whole system. I did the same with the cooling system and ventilation system. For somebody who's never worked on a car it really helps me to understand how things function rather than just seeing a part of it.

20. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Jon - knee high in alligators yet? Looks like fun. I may come down to study your wiring harness so that we can compare color codes. I want to document all of the colors and loads and publish a color-coded schematic for the Dino. Perhaps there would be others interested in such a schematic. However, I awoke one evening in a sweat thinking that perhaps Ferrari never published a color coded schematic for the Dino BECAUSE they used random colors for each car manufactured. Hence, a color coded schematic would be good for my car only. I will soon compare to my other 1972 Dino, but comparing to your later model would help. Upon completion of my harness I will be producing several more. Anyone interested?

Thanks and good luck.

Jim S.

21. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    I would love to have a color coded list. Would be glad to help by comparing my '72 GT wire colors to whatever you all come up with.

Jon, keep the pictures coming. Looks like you are up to your eyeballs in things now. Good Luck.

John

22. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Some pics coming when I get home. I think you will be surprised at one photo.

23. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #48 omgjon, Mar 28, 2006
    Trunk tub is out with no cutting, i layed out the wiring loom on a wall(thanks for the idea, jim), the ventiliation system is out, steering column out, so its really coming along. In the next few weeks the engine will come out. Im taking a little break for the next 10 days and going to moab to ride my bycicle while my wife and daughter run a marathon.

24. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Jon - makes me wish I had removed the spare tire tub. Well, next time.

Looks great. Does removing the tub provide that much more access?

Wiring diagram soon to be completed. I may charge a bit to provide them to the masses. It is a tedious and time consuming task, and I have spent a bunch at Kinkos using their desktop publishing systems. I have a few more wires to trace, and them I will make them available.

I am thinking around $100 U.S. for a 11 inch by 17 inch laminated schematic with color labels, along with a CD tiff. image from Adobe Photoshop. My kid has been doing much of the computer work, and this would instill a sense of reward for his effort.

Does this price seem fair?

Jim S.

25. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Seems like a good deal to me since there aren't any. Taking the tub out does give a lot more access and more to blast, plus it was really fun getting it out. Just rivets and a little fiberglass attached to the frame tubes. It would be cool to take the main tub out, but I think they built the car around it.