Dino Restoration | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Dino Restoration

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Feb 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The main tub is not too bad if you have done the front tub. A little more difficult. Depends on how far you want to go.

2. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    The headers look horrible, any suggestions, are there any stainless ones that will fit. It's a USA model.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

4. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Jon,

I think that your headers are probably fine. The problem is the thin steel heat shielding that probably started rusting before it got in the car. Your car is now exempt and the air injector pump is probably shot by now. Mine was. I plugged the ports in the aluminum spacers, stripped off the shielding and called it a day. With no air injection, the header temp is grossly lower. Just make sure that alternator wiring is well clear in the front and the starter cable has some kind if shield in the rear. Fiberglass sleeve over wiring is good insurance. My aluminum sheet firewall is fine with the heat. Been running with no air injection for 20 years. Car lives mostly outside and has 186,000 miles so far.

Pin whatever plugs you use in the spacers and make sure you keep the spacers in the correct orientation. Front and rear are diferent and there is a top and bottom. Spacers have an oval exhaust passage that is not lined up with the bolt holes. Spacers match head ports and are larger than the tubing of the headers. Leave out the electric clutch and air pump when putting the alternator back. Life is much easier without all the extra plumbing. Take a look at some of my pics in the "Dino Saga" series.

Of course you might want to try to keep everything working. In that case forget all of the above. Headers themselves will not rust but discolor immediately when hot. Not much point in even polishing them. Sheet metal shields could be redone in stainless but expensive.

Let us know how it will go. Pics are great. Thanks.

John

5. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    omgjon,
    no problems with the headers on the U.S. car as they are stainless with the flanges being mild steel. You can have them alum/ceramic coated if you want some insulation after you remove the old tin. On mine I took off the old tin and wrapped with header wrap and covered with 321 .002/stainless foil over the wrap and has worked very well and looks great too, very racy. I had wished that I would have coated before wrapping for more insulation.

6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Wow! You seem to be moving along at a pretty fast clip.

One BIG word of caution - be extremely careful with the door glass. You might want to check my thread on FCHAT about my self-exploding window glass. I supposedly bought the last piece of GTS passenger side glass in the world. I sure hope that I in fact I did NOT buy the last piece . . . .

Mark Nerheim

7. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I've seen Gary's beautiful silver GT and I wish that I had coated and wrapped my headers like he did before I reinstalled my engine after it was rebuilt.

Oh well, next time!

Mark

8. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Are there any photos of the exhaust headers with the wrap?

9. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I checked with Tubi and they do not make headers for a USA model. I liked the idea of cutting off the tin and having the headers ceramic coated. I think I will give it a try. Any downside. Another question. As I work on this project is it better to do new threads like Dino Saga or one continuous as I have been doing.

10. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Continuous, that way people new to the site/thread can see what your doing from start to finish without playing hunt the update

11. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Hi from NYC!

What a great project to share with your boy..(beats boring fly fishing!). You could have posted pics of your "before" dino (gorgeous!) and I would have belived it was the "after" pics....Does anybody here realize that your shop and workmanship is head and shoulder above most ferrari pro shops we take our cars too...what a shop, what a car, what a joy...please keep these informative and inspirational pics coming..I have all the manuals (and updates) and spare parts catalogs for the dino, if you need info but I see and read that you have all this documentation. Dino is my favorite Ferrari (ok so no horsey--). enjoy the break and keep sharing the love.

12. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    The difference is they know what they're doing, I don't, am trying to learn as I go along. But what fun! It is amazing to see how beautiful these cars are, yet where you can't see, how crude the workmanship is.

13. chrisaka

chrisaka Rookie

Apr 4, 2006
    Annapolis, MD
    It's already been said, but what an awesome project! I'm very impressed with how quickly you're moving along. That detailed logbook of disassembly is going to be a huge lifesaver when it comes time to put it back together. Nicely done!

Chris

14. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #65 John Corbani, Apr 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jon,

Your pics are a great record. I am sure that they look great on your computer but shrinking them for Fchat makes a mess. It is a computer thing and can be undone easily. You need an editor that can "sharpen" the file after shrinking and before saving. I just copied your first two pics of your last post and "sharpened" them. Take a look at the difference.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I'm lucky to get this far. All i do is download my photos to photobucket then send them to Ferrarichat. There is a huge difference in what you did. I'm willing to learn but I would need step by step instructions. But I sure see what you mean by looking at your edited versions. If I could do that it would sure make it a much better thread.

16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Also if i can do what you did I will repost all the photos like that. I only know how to get pictures on Ferrarichat like I posted. Is there a better way. I also love the color of your Dino, what is that olor called. Is it Dino Blue Metallic.

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is your fuel gauge sending unit on the Driver's side gas tank?

I'm not sure but I think USA versions had the fuel sending unit on the driver's side tank and Euro versions had it on the passenger's side gas tank.

Has anybody else noticed this?

18. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    On drivers side

19. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    omjgon, I will send photo images soon of the header wrap thing!

20. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Jon,

Tell me the operating system (Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP) of your computer and the name of the program you use to download your pictures from your camera. If you use the Windows picture software, say so. If you have an editing program, which one? What is the resolution of your camera (pixels horizontal and vertical) and what size are you trying for when you download to FerrariChat? If I know these things, I can walk you through the process. Of course, if you have a Mac, we will have to call on a higher power. I'm sure there is one on Fchat so fire away.

Dino color is Ford Mustang from 90's, Midnight Blue or Moonlight Blue, metalic with clearcoat. Almost same as a stock Dino color but everyone can match it. Paint is almost 10 years old now and engine cover is showing signs of too much heat. Rest is pretty good. Car lives outside under a car port so can't complain.

John

21. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #72 omgjon, Apr 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is a test. I stayed up till the wee hours trying to figure out how to post clearer pictures. I got a program, print shop pro photo. I resized this pic and used the sharpening tool. Now to see if it works.

22. 74dino246gts

74dino246gts Karting

Aug 6, 2004
    Northern California
    What brand is that rotisserie?

23. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Auto twirler

24. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What floor standing lift did you choose and how high of a ceiling is required?
    I've heard the going rate is about $8k for these, true?

</envy>