Dino Restoration | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Dino Restoration

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Feb 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    Jon,
    This is great documentation! Keep the pics coming.
    I have some questions. What's your procedure for easy and SAFE removal of the rear window? I understand these can't be replaced!
    Are you replacing the windshield? What's your replacement source?
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I simply cut the gasket and gingerly coaxed it out. I did have a few beads of sweat on my brow. Today all the steering came out, rack etc. Pictures tomorrow. If anybody needs any photos of something specific let me know and I will do my best. Closeups or whatever.

3. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

I'm about to start removing the front and rear suspension; any pics would be very useful.
    Thanks

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Omjon,

Where do you locate the lift pads when you lift the Dino? I'm afraid to use a 4-point lift on mine. Many thanks.

Andy

5. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #130 omgjon, Apr 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #131 omgjon, Apr 20, 2006
    I took out all of the steering today. I learned what a pickle fork is. Besides my sockets and end wrenches A few air tools the only specialized tools so far was a special socket for the steering wheel (GT Parts), a pickle fork for the steering, down the street at Napa auto supplies.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Now this is the way to learn about a car!

8. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #133 omgjon, Apr 20, 2006
  9. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Many thanks, Omgjon. You've done a great service to the 246 world with your restoration pictures. I hope they will remain permanently accessible on the web.

All the best, Andy

10. ajmarton

ajmarton Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Omgjon - your posts are quite informative. I think you should put all your picks on DVD for distribution as I am sure a lot of people would like them for reference. I have been downloading a lot of the pictures for the future. Andrew

11. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Actually I was thinking about that tonight as something I should do. I was thinking of dividing it in 4 or 5 parts.
    1. Take apart and categorize
    2. Refurbish and or replace parts
    3. Body-blasting, stripping and painting
    4. Rebuild engine
    5. Reassemble
    6. DRIVE!

12. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I'd buy your DVD/CD of photos, comments, et al.

Mark

13. ajmarton

ajmarton Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I am in LA and although that is not too close I would be interested in observing the engine / carb rebuild as that is something I want to do on my Spyder. I have a spare set of 3 (almost complete) webers and a manifold that I took apart a while ago and ordered the rebuild kit from Superformance but have not put it back together. Same for transmission and steering box. I am good with interior / exterior body work but not mechanics (once you get past the basic stuff).

14. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Anybody is welcome any time to check things out. My car will be off the lift soon and on the rotisserie. If anyone wants to put their car on a lift for any reason come on over. I was going to take out the hydraulic lines today, but I was just informed by my daughter we are going to Neiman marcus to buy her college graduation present I think it is some ridiculously priced purse. Oh well!

15. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #140 nerodino, Apr 21, 2006
    Gentlemen, i am going to hopefully lift the engine and box from my car in the next couple of days , in this picture of Omgjon's car the 25mm bar that runs across the rear of the engine that the header tank is normally fixed to is shown removed. I must admit i havent studied this bar too much, but how does it dismantle from the car? and i take it that it definately needs to come out to enable engine/box extraction?
    thanks in advance.

16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    It is bolted at each end. Easy to take out.

17. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Tony,

I also removed my marker lights. Your car is identical to mine with the exception of mine having clear/white front signal lenses.

18. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #143 omgjon, Apr 21, 2006
  19. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thanks for that, i had'nt studied the area of the bar and how it was fixed, I have'nt the luxury of an engine leveller just a manual engine crane and good old brute force coupled with a bit of ignorance , wish me luck.
    Will try and post a few pics.

20. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    if you tilt the engine with the passenger side(right side) tilted up it helps enormously. So make sure that the side of the engine with the tranny is tilted down & the dist end is tilted up...as it comes out you can swing the dist end towards the rear of the car. It comes out up & over....make sure the header tank bar is out & the trunk divider is out. The exhaust manifolds have to come out first & the front one(facing the front of car) is toughest however if you lift the engine (make darn sure u have jacks under it for support) you can get access to the front header & take it off. Safety is key here...take your time & ensure things are supported. Also the guys at Superformance in UK (easy to get to by way tube) have smaller diameter exh nuts which will make removing headers easier next time around. Good luck.

21. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    forgot...u really need an engine leveler ...they are not expensive but with the angle you need to put on the engine as it comes out they are essential. I am afraid brute force wont be enough and you dont want to bash things around as it comes out.

22. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #147 lm2504me, Apr 22, 2006
    I removed my motor with the same engine leveler as omgjon with some modifications. I wanted to shorten the overall chain length. As you can see in the photos, you attach to the intake manifold mounting holes in the block. You need the leveler. I removed my forward exhaust with the motor lifted and tilted for access. Put some pillows to protect your rear glass, in case the motor swings toward it.

I have heard it is much easier if you remove the bellhousing first. This minimizes the tilt required.

Rich

23. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    That engine leveler is a great idea.

24. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #149 omgjon, Apr 24, 2006
  25. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Richard - I appreciate your photos of the engine leveler, and your technique of using the intake manifold bolts.

I have a question concerning the load that you are applying to those stud holes and to the bolts. The weight of the engine and transmission are supported by 4 bolts. While your experience suggests that these are adequate, the original design specification for those threads and material are to clamp down the intake manifold. Makes me think (worry) a bit about thread failure during lifting, and the consequences vis-a-vis body work.

Jim S.