Dino Saga 061126 _ Rentals and Tail Lights | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 061126 _ Rentals and Tail Lights

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Nov 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Nov 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 061126 _ Rentals and Tail Lights

Worst part of fixing a Dino is getting a tolerable rental. Airport is only 2 miles away so have everyone to choose from. Picked Enterprise after finding that airport location had lowest rates of all majors including all off-airport locations. You only get this info when you reserve on Web. Go Figure! I refuse to drive large cars if I have a choice so took a pot-luck compact. Ford Focus lasted 4 days. Car drove me nuts. The ultimate Nanny car. Dead steering, body roll, too sensitive brakes. Those I could have lived with but: Steering wheel was contoured to force your thumbs to slide down off the wheel. Arms had to be supported by shoulders alone. Terrible on long drive. Seat belt warning too loud and irritating. Fool armrest blocks seat belt locking and release. Open the door with the car not in Park and a klaxon goes off. All doors lock when car goes in gear; and never unlock! You are always locked out. Arrrrrgh.

Took car back, good folks at the desk said that I was not first to complain. No problem to exchange. Got a Mazda 3 hatchback. Nice little car. Great ergonomics, seat belt warning is a subtle chime, beautiful instrument cluster, tach and lots of good info, good wheel, great shift gate running a 5 speed automatic with a full manual override. You can shift sequentially up or down if you want. Be a great transmission for a sporty car if lever was right up by wheel. As it is, it is too far away to be really useful. Very good tires too, 205/50R17. I can live with this one for a week or two.

Visit the Dino every day and it is coming along splendidly. All the big dings have been fixed, preliminary sanding of old clear coat is done and the first coat of primer is on. Probably be ready for blue by the end of the week. Might even be done.

I’ve been working on all the pieces I pulled before letting the car go. Tail lights were a mess. Pulled reflectors off of lenses and figured I could probably save things. One gasket was gone, one was broken and the other two had acted as water traps. Decided to make my own gaskets out of 3/16” vinyl spline material. Ran 1/32” stainless wire inside spline to hold shape. Left gap at bottom so water could drain. Also put hole in bottom of lens for same reason. Removed rust from reflectors and brushed on conversion coat. Spray can enamel went on next and then I burnished on pieces of 2” wide aluminum reflective tape. Not as good as original mirror surface but far better than what was there. Glued reflectors to lenses with clear silicone RTV. Spline gasket will go between lens and body. Chrome retaining rings will ride directly on lenses. Had to replace a couple of the screws on the retaining rings. Rusted through. Ground some chrome off the inside and soft soldered new screws in place. Should be just fine. No discoloration on the outside. Shortened all screws just to make life easier going back on. Originals were ½” longer than necessary.

Looking forward to next week.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    John
    Instead of wasting money on rentals, buy and Alfa Romeo 164 LS or Q. you can buy them for peanuts and you'll love the drive!

3. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Cut my teeth on Alfas. 1200 Spyder, 1600 Spyder, 1600 Sprint Speciale with all the cams, Webers, etc. Loved them; kept the SS 19 years, drove it every day. Traded it in on the Dino and was cured for life. I drive my wife's minivan to go skiing or to cary a sheet of plywood. Rent cars occasionally on trips or to fix Dino. Window shop cars occasionally. Nothing is right but I learn the latest fashions. Will just keep helping the shop along and make do till they are done.

John

4. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    I have never been without an Alfa. Recent drives of high priced modern stuff leave me cold.

5. Paul Root

Paul Root Rookie

Nov 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul Root
    how did you get the reflectors apart from the light housing ??

6. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I've done this a few times at this point.

If it really is an original lens, then all you need is a heat-gun (a real one, not just a hair dryer).

Concentrate the heat on the metal reflector, and not the plastic lens (obviously you will be blowing hot air onto the back of the assembly.

You don't need to "go crazy", but the metal does need to get too hot to be comfortably grabbed, so get some thick leather gloves.

As you heat up the reflector, stop every minute-or-so, stick a finger through the bulb hole, and see if the reflector starts to move when you pull on it. Once the reflector starts to come loose, you generally can put the heat gun down, and just rely on the remaining heat in the reflector (and a little gentle pulling) to break the reflector free.

Once it comes apart, it is also a good idea to remove the glue while it is still hot, rather than wait until it cools down, and gets hard again.

The one time that the above did not work, it was because someone had redone the glue with something that took a *lot* of heat to break free, and the lens warped a bit...